You can add Ron Zook to the growing list of people very upset over the recent of reports from an Internet website claiming several players failed drug tests at the Indianapolis Scouting Combine.The Illinois head coach was “none too happy”, the Decatur Herald & Review reported, with the report from NFLDraftBible.com — and the subsequent airing of the report on a local television station — that former Fighting Illini cornerback Vontae Davis had tested positive for marijuana at the combine.Zook said he spoke to Davis, and Davis denied the rumored failure. The CB said neither he nor his agent had been informed that he had tested positive for anything.Regardless, Zook isn’t buying what the website is attempting to sell.”How would you like to have someone say something that’s not true if it was your child?” Zook asked.The columnist for the Herald & Review, Mark Tupper, stood up for Davis as well, writing that he would be surprised if the rumors proved true as the potential first-round pick is “almost obsessive” about what he puts into his body. Tupper adds that Davis’ “finicky eating habits” are legendary, almost never eats red meat, and carefully monitors fruits and vegetables and juices.While a person’s eating habits aren’t necessarily an indicator of whether or not someone is a drug user — although empty bags of Munchos liberally scattered about a residence would be a big clue as to a propensity for the ganja — the vociferousness with which people associated with those involved in the rumors are defending the players tends to cast a very serious shadow of doubt over the accusations.However this turns out, someone’s going to need themselves a big shovel to dig themselves out of the pile of excrement they’ve created. Particularly the website in question if it turns out they were “not right” in their “reporting”.
The West Point career of Josh Jenkins has apparently taken yet another twist.
On his personal Twitter account earlier Tuesday — he pinned it for emphasis — Jenkins posted a tweet that included a YouTube highlight video with the text consisting of “looking to transfer from Army West Point.” Just why the defensive back has decided to leave the service academy is unclear.
The Killer Whale || Josh Jenkins Highlight Reel
Spread the Word https://t.co/oV9BpNYHhj
— Killer Whale® (@Jtwice_toonice) May 25, 2016
Jenkins reportedly suffered a serious and significant head injury during an on-post fight with a teammate over the Fourth of July weekend last year. The teammate, linebacker Seth Combs, was dismissed from the team; Jenkins was unable to play at all in 2015 because of the injuries he sustained.
During spring practice, Jenkins was not allowed to participate in contact drills. Sal Interdonato of the Times Herald-Record wrote that Black Knights head coach “Jeff Monken said near the end of spring practice that he was ‘hopeful’ that Jenkins would be cleared to practice with full contact in the preseason.”
In 2014, Jenkins was tied for second on the team with 63 tackles, while his four interceptions and eight passes broken up were the most of any Black Knight. He also blocked two kicks, a total that was tops on the team as well.
Two former members of Power Five football programs have decided to slide far down the college football ladder in restarting their respective careers.
According to 247Sports.com, Cole is on the campus of East Mississippi Community College and will play for the JUCO team in 2016. The report comes nearly four months after it was reported that Cole had decided to transfer from Michigan to Kentucky.
The recruiting website writes that UK “is a school Cole continues to consider.”
Cole was a highly sought after four-star 2015 recruit who was an early enrollee in Jim Harbaugh‘s first UM class. The No. 74 player nationally on 247Sports.com‘s composite board, Cole was also the No. 1-rated player at any position in the state of Michigan. He played in two games at receiver with the Wolverines; he’ll move to safety with his new program.
Speaking of defensive backs, former Notre Dame safety Mykelti Williams has also decided to go the JUCO route. It was confirmed in March of this year that Williams had decided to leave the Irish and transfer elsewhere.
As it turns out, that elsewhere is Iowa Western.
Former Irish safety Mykelti Williams goes JuCo after leaving ND during spring ball. https://t.co/bR1T8kRb3F
— Irish Illustrated (@PeteSampson_) May 25, 2016
Williams was a three-star member of the Irish’s 2015 recruiting class, rated as the No. 29 safety in the country; the No. 4 player at any position in the state of Indiana; and the No. 464 player overall according to 247Sports.com. The 5-11, 200-pound defensive back chose Notre Dame over offers from, among others, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin.
He took a redshirt as a true freshman last season.
Earlier this month, Stevie Tu’ikolovatu made the decision to transfer from Utah. Over the weekend, the defensive lineman paid a visit to Nebraska as he began the process of finding a new college football home.
Earlier this week, Tu’ikolovatu continued that process at the defending national champions.
According to the defensive tackle’s Twitter account, Tu’ikolovatu paid a visit to Alabama on Monday. While the Tide, as always, remains loaded along the line even after losing so much to the NFL draft, they could certainly use someone with the talent — and size — the 6-1, 320-pound Tu’ikolovatu possesses if the player and team find common ground.
Home of the 2016 CFP Trophy pic.twitter.com/d0FuRJdP1I
— Steve Tu’ikolovatu (@steviet_90) May 24, 2016
Last season with the Utes, Tu’ikolovatu played in all 13 games, starting two of those contests. His four fumble recoveries were tied for the lead in the Pac-12 and second nationally.
All told, Tu’ikolovatu played in 25 games the past two seasons. As a graduate transfer, he’d be eligible to play immediately in 2016 whether he moves on to Alabama, Nebraska or any other FBS program.
The 2016 season will, though, be his final year of eligibility.
After just one season on The Plains, Tim Irvin will be plying his football wares elsewhere moving forward.
On his personal Twitter account Tuesday, Irvin, the nephew of former Miami Hurricanes and Dallas Cowboys receiving great Michael Irvin, announced that “it will be better for me to pursue my career elsewhere.” The 5-9, 194-pound defensive back gave no reason for his decision.
— Tim Irvin ll (@T_irvin2) May 24, 2016
The Miami, Fla., native was a four-star member of AU’s 2015 recruiting class. 247Sports.com had Irvin rated as the No. 38 player at any position in the state of Florida and the No. 285 player overall in its composite rankings.
As a true freshman last season, Irvin played in 10 games. He started at nickel corner in games in which the Tigers opened in the nickel package.
As for potential landing spots? It’s being reported that East Carolina, Miami and Texas may be considerations.