Spurrier Rekindles Urban-To-Irish Talk

Leave it to The Ol’ Ball Coach to dig up a years-old “rumor” regarding a rival SEC coach.  At a time when the college football news cycle has slowed to a crawl.Speaking on something called the Paul Finebaum Radio Network, and as relayed by Jeremy Fowler‘s Orlando Sentinel blog, Steve Spurrier addressed the longstanding contention that Notre Dame is Florida head coach Urban Meyer‘s dream job.And the South Carolina coach did so without being prompted by the host.”They still got that rumor going down there, Paul, that if he has one more big year, he might be the Notre Dame coach,” Spurrier said at one point during the hour-long interview.Spurrier then compared the situation Meyer may be facing to the one that saw him leave the same institution after a long and successful tenure.”It’d be surprising if he left, but who knows?” Spurrier said. “He’s accomplished so much. I left after 12 years because I just said ‘Hey, I’ve done enough. Try something else.’ He may get to the point where he needs to try something else. Who knows?”Back in December, Meyer gave an interview to Miami radio station WQAM, and strongly hinted that the Irish gig is one that he will always hold in high regard.”Once my kids are done [with high school], maybe some day I’ll go coach there,” Meyer, whose youngest of three children is of middle-school age, told the station. “I don’t know that. That’s way down the road. Being a father and being able to recruit the best athletes in America within a five-hour radius of my home, that’s why I came to Florida. I thought we could have a great chance at success.”To be the head football coach of Notre Dame, you’re on a plane recruiting because you recruit San Diego as hard as you recruit New York as hard as you recruit Florida, Texas, Ohio. It’s a national recruiting base. I recruited there for six years, and I spent every night in a hotel in an airport. I’m going to be a good father first.”A week after that interview, Meyer attempted to quell the growing angst in Gator Nation created by that interview, but seemed to add more fuel than water to the fire.”Our staff has given our life to Florida football for four years,” Meyer said as the Gators prepared for their bowl game. “We plan on giving our life to Florida football for a long, long time. You start hearing, ’Well coach, I thought you said (Notre Dame was) your dream job.’ I grew up in the North and that was my dream job. Probably always will, but that has nothing to do with this.”In 2004, Meyer had the opportunity to take the Notre Dame job, but opted instead to leave Utah for Florida.Now, thanks to a fellow SEC coach, he will — once again — have to address the rumors that he could be leaving as soon as the 2010 season.Gee, do you think that’s exactly what Spurrier had in mind when he brought up this dream job unprompted?  Naaahhh, that’s not how the Ol’ Ball Coach rolls.(Insert eye roll here)

LSU, Alabama headline coaches’ All-SEC teams