NCAA completes USC probe amidst new controversy

On the day Pete Carroll is officially announced the new head coach of the Seattle Seahawks, Yahoo! reports that the NCAA’s four-year probe into the Southern Cal football program is complete.

Per Charles Robinson and Jason Cole’s — the two guys that have been at the front of this thing since the beginning — the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions will meet February 19-21 to discuss their findings.

More from Robinson and Cole:

The meeting will be the apex in the NCAA’s probe into USC’s athleticprogram, as it represents the first determination on whether sanctionsshould be leveled against the school. The determination on a hearingdate also indicates USC has received a letter of allegations from theNCAA and that the school has responded in some way. According to NCAAprocedures, schools informed of infractions have at least 90 days torespond. After the response period has expired, a case summary iscompleted and a date is set for the Committee on Infractions to meetand determine whether there is a basis for sanctioning.

The NCAA’s investigation of USC has been ongoing since April 2006,when a series of Yahoo! Sports reports detailed allegations of extrabenefits given to running back Reggie Bush and his family by a failedsports marketing company. Since then, the probe has come to encompassformer Trojans basketball star O.J. Mayo and the men’s basketballprogram, after a report by ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” detailed benefitsthat allegedly had been funneled to Mayo. Former Trojans basketballcoach Tim Floyd abruptly resigned after a Yahoo! Sports report detailedan alleged $1,000 cash payment from Floyd to a man who had helped steerMayo to USC. The investigation is believed to also include Trojansrunning back Joe McKnight, whose use of a 2006 Land Rover and ties to amarketing entrepreneur in Santa Monica also have come under scrutinyafter a recent report in the Los Angeles Times.

This news comes at the same time Sports Illustrated launched a special report on the drug abuse of former assistant coach Dave Watson, who used both team and university doctors to help him get thousands of prescription pain pills, an addiction that Carroll himself knew about.

I might be one of the last to think that Carroll isn’t fleeing the Titanic, but the timing of his jump certainly is fortuitous for the coach and potentially catastrophic for the university and the football program.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx