Even as there were two licenses issued by the NCAA for new bowl games set to commence in 2009-2010, there’s only a net gain of one bowl over last year, the Associated Press is reporting.
All told, 35 bowl games received approval and the accompanying licenses from the NCAA for the right to exist. Last year, there were 34 bowls, although, to be fair, it felt more like 84. There would likely have been 36 bowl games this year were it not for the sudden and tragic demise of the International Bowl last month.
The two new bowl games are the previously announced New Era Pinstripe Bowl at the new Yankee Stadium in the Bronx Dec. 30, and the Dallas Football Classic in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1.
The NCAA also announced that each bowl was licensed on a four-year cycle through 2013-2014, which coincides with the length of agreements conferences have with most of the bowls.
As for the two bowls that were denied licenses, they were the Cure Bowl in Orlando and the Christmas Bowl in Los Angeles.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, it’s the second time the Cure Bowl has been denied by the NCAA. The proceeds from the game would’ve gone to the fight against breast cancer.
The concern over the long-term effects of concussions has prompted yet another college football player to give up the game.
According to the Twitter feed of the Lake County News-Herald‘s John Kampf, Ohio University quarterback Conner Krizancic has decided to retire from the sport of football because of concussion concerns. Krizancic sustained a concussion in the Bobcats’ spring game earlier this year, the third concussion, including two in high school, he had sustained during his playing career.
Kampf confirmed the player’s decision through his father.
Krizancic originally signed with Minnesota as a three-star prospect in 2014, but the Gophers quickly moved the Ohio product to wide receiver. The desire to play quarterback led Krizancic to transfer from Minnesota to Ohio in January of 2015.
After sitting out the 2015 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules, Krizancic joined the Bobcats’ quarterbacking competition this past spring. Post-spring, though, there had been talk of Krizancic moving back to receiver.
When Toledo takes the field for the first couple of games this coming season, they’ll do so a little lighter on the defensive side of the ball than expected.
First-year head coach Jason Candle has confirmed that linebackers Jaylen Coleman and Anthony Davis and defensive tackle Marquise Moore have been suspended for the first two games of the upcoming season. The players will miss the season opener Sept. 2 against Arkansas State and the home opener against Maine Sept. 10 before being eligible to return for the following weekend’s game against Fresno State.
The only reason given by Candle for the suspensions was “violations of athletic department policies.”
Coleman started the first half of the 2015 season before a broken leg sidelined him for the final six games. According to the Toledo Blade, he was the Rockets’ leading tackler at the time of the injury.
Moore played in all 12 games last season, while Davis played in four.
Heading into summer camp, Coleman and Moore would’ve been projected starters at their respective positions.
Teldrick Morgan had been a significant part of New Mexico State’s passing game the past two seasons. In 2016, he’ll try to play the same role at a Big Ten school.
Maryland announced in a press release that Morgan, a native of Hanover, Maryland, has transferred to the university and will continue his collegiate playing career with the Terps. As Morgan is coming to College Park as a graduate transfer, he will be eligible to play immediately in 2016.
The upcoming season will be the wide receiver’s final year of eligibility.
“Teldrick brings a great deal to our program and we’re excited that he’s a part of our family,” first-year Terps head coach DJ Durkin said in a statement. “It’s always great to bring a local kid back home, and on top of that he’s very skilled and brings a wealth of experience to our receivers unit.”
Each of the past two seasons, Morgan led the Aggies in receptions. He caught 75 passes in 2014, although that production dipped to 45 in 2015. A part of that drop was due to a groin injury that cost the 6-0, 195-pound receiver three games, as well as the continued emergence of Larry Rose III (1,651 yards rushing).
Morgan totaled 120 receptions for 1,454 yards and 11 touchdowns
Some kids/young adults will simply never learn, at least not the easy way. Case in point: Robbie Rhodes.
In June of 2014, reports surfaced that Rhodes had, ahem, “parted ways” with Baylor “for undisclosed reasons.” That move came a month after Rhodes was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and tampering with physical evidence, even as charges were never filed against him. Two months after “parting ways” with BU, Bowling Green announced that the wide receiver had transferred into its football program.
Nearly two years later? He gone. Again.
According to the Toledo Blade, Rhodes has been dismissed from the Falcons football team. The only stated reason was an unspecified violation of team rules.
Rhodes, a four-star 2013 recruit rated as the No. 8 receiver in the country that year, appeared in 11 games as a true freshman for the Bears, recording 10 receptions for 157 yards. After sitting out the 2014 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules, Rhodes played in seven games for the Falcons last season, recording three catches for 130 yards.
Rhodes’ departure leaves the Falcons with just two receivers who have caught passes at the collegiate level — Ronnie Moore (third on the team in 2015 with 72 receptions for 954 yards and six touchdowns) and Scott Miller (7-29 last season).