'The' Ohio State's Smith: Big Ten 'done with expansion'

Just as Notre Dame was creeping its way back into Big Ten expansion talks (again), Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith officially fueled his ambiguous fire of a Notre Dame addition to the Big Ten

“We’re done with it [expansion],” Smith said in an interview with The Lantern, OSU’s student newspaper. “We’re finished. The only thing that would cause us to look at it further is if someone contacted us. So, we’re not going to go out and say we’re thinking about expansion.”

Something tells us Smith might reconsider if that “someone” was Notre Dame and/or Texas. College football’s first drive-by conference realignment didn’t exactly pin the Irish into a corner like the Big Ten had hoped and Texas decided to remain in the Big 12 for a big ‘ole freakin’ amount of money.

Smith shouldn’t give his hopes up. If there are two programs in college football who feel they can do what they want, when they want and how they want, it’s Notre Dame and Texas.

It’s no coincidence, then, that Texas and Notre Dame have big, exclusive television contracts. The importance of those contracts to program profitability can’t be stressed enough. 

“As television changes, and all the mediums change for communication, the conferences have to shift in order to maximize revenue opportunities off of them,” Smith pointed out. “When you get down to it, it’s about more inventory, more games, so that you can provide the television carrier with more product.”

It’s likely that any school interested in the Big Ten would have to pass the conference’s profitability test (a la the Big Ten Network).

“It’s [the Big Ten Network] highly profitable, beyond what we thought at this particular time. We knew it was going to be successful,” said Smith. “But with that growth you have to sit back and say, ‘OK, how do we continue that growth? What things can we add to it?'”

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Big Ten Conference, Ohio State Buckeyes, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “'The' Ohio State's Smith: Big Ten 'done with expansion'”
  1. burntorangehorn says: Sep 29, 2010 11:07 PM

Eh, I’m a Texas fan, and as far as I know, the Texas television contract is just a small-time Texas sports network, not a big broadcast network deal.

2. NE49ers says: Sep 29, 2010 11:18 PM

they’re done with expansion people……unless Syracuse or Rutgers call and offer access to the New York market

3. OpinionsNAholes says: Sep 30, 2010 12:14 AM

Texas can go F themselves, who the hell wants a bunch of pompous assed conference killers?

4. overwatch says: Sep 30, 2010 12:38 AM

‘The’ Ohio State University.
    …”The”.
    *sigh*
    I guess when you can’t trust your alumni to differentiate your school from the wide, numerous, sea of schools sharing the name “Ohio State University,” you need to find a way to make things clearer for them.
    “Oh, you’re talking about *the* Ohio State University. Sorry. I thought you were talking about that other school. You know… Ohio State University.”
    The Ohio State University, where singularity still requires specificity.

5. Arizona Buckeye says: Sep 30, 2010 12:57 AM

Christ – is it in every single media reporters contract that they have to continually throw notre yawn into any and every conversation about any topic in college football? Outside of South Bend and the catholic church, we treat notre yawn with the respect they’ve earned over the last 25 plus years – NONE. Sooner or later you’ll all catch up and wake up to the fact that notre yawn is totally irrelevant to college football

6. smokehouse says: Sep 30, 2010 8:16 AM

Notre Dame screwed themselves. Hell, every Big Ten team makes more money per year than they do. They can take that NBC contract and stick it. It has ruined their football program. All the hype by this web site has not given them anything. They are 1-3 this year already and still this site reports their every move. The Big Ten plus Penn State & Nebraska needs Notre Dame like a child needs a bowling ball. Only in the eyes of NBC is Notre Dame relevant.

7. mgmac says: Sep 30, 2010 10:08 AM

overwatch – get a life

8. BrownsTown says: Sep 30, 2010 10:12 AM

I love the smell of cynicism in the morning. “The” has been part of the tile since 1878. Is it fresh to mock something that is 132 years old? Been there, done that, right?

9. kupski says: Sep 30, 2010 10:48 AM

Rutgers and Notre Dame THEN your done !

10. SEC_Rules says: Sep 30, 2010 10:52 AM

You’re right BrownsTown, its fresh to mock something more recent, such as THE SEC owning Ohio State.

11. blitz4848 says: Sep 30, 2010 10:56 AM

Dessert anyone? ” 2 more cupcakes “

12. Arizona Buckeye says: Sep 30, 2010 12:42 PM

SEC_Rules – yawn

13. blitz4848 says: Sep 30, 2010 2:59 PM

Hell, Notre dame is the best OOC “cupcake” to get on your schedule—easy to beat and has a good fan base.

14. BENITO says: Sep 30, 2010 3:05 PM

NOTRE YAWN??? que arizona suckeye picking his head out of a random homeless man’s lap. so irrelevent that everytime they are this site you are on their jock? get a hobby loser.

15. TheGhostofBernieKosar says: Sep 30, 2010 7:40 PM

i would be happy with either of those teams added to the big ten. can’t wait for nebraska to be in it next year!!

16. Arizona Buckeye says: Sep 30, 2010 10:50 PM

Benito – they are absolutely irrelevant and have been for over 25 years. Please tell me what part of that don’t you understand. Also, learn how to spell butt plug! I suggest you pick up a dictionary once in a while instead of spending every waking hour on your favorite HotBarnYardAnimals.com site.

17. overwatch says: Oct 3, 2010 10:06 PM

mgmac – got one. Thanks for your concern.
    brownstown – “fresh” only matters in hygiene and groceries. My criticism, unlike ‘the’ ohio state university, may not be unique. It is, however, valid.

18. Michigan AD would bet ‘more expansion ahead’ for Big Ten | CollegeFootballTalk says: Dec 2, 2010 4:58 PM

[...] done with it [expansion],” Smith told The Lantern. “We’re finished. The only thing that would cause us to look at it further is if someone contacted us. So, we’re [...]