'Bama-Michigan at Cowboys Stadium in '12 official

Late last month, Nick Saban “broke” a “scoop” on his radio program that, while “it hasn’t been announced yet“, a 2012 Alabama-Michigan game in Arlington, Tex., had been all but finalized.

Almost exactly three weeks later — and a little over two months after the initial rumors came to light — it’s become officially finalized.

In statements released by both schools, it’s been announced that the Tide and the Wolverines will square off in a neutral site, non-conference game on Sept. 1 of 2012.  The match-up between two of the most storied programs in college football history will be played at the home of the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys.

It will be the season opener for both schools.

“It’s exciting to announce that two of college football’s most tradition-rich teams will be meeting in 2012,” ‘Bama athletic director Mal Moore said in a statement. “We have such tremendous respect for Michigan: their school, their outstanding tradition, and their following. It’s a terrific opportunity for our student-athletes and our entire program, in addition to being a great benefit in recruiting. It’s yet another chance for our University to be showcased on a national stage early in the season at a terrific stadium.”

“This is a great way to kickoff the 2012 season with two of the nation’s winningest college football programs,” Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon said in his own statement. “We are excited about playing a regular season game in the state of Texas, a region of the country where we have traditionally recruited. Our goal is to get as many Michigan fans to the game as possible to witness this match-up of traditional powers.”

The 2012 game, which will be officiated by a crew from the Big 12 conference, will be the fourth football meeting between the schools.  All three previous contests have been in bowl games, with the last coming in the Orange Bowl following the 1999 season.

The Wolverines hold the all-time edge in the “series” 2-1.

Infant son of D’Onta Foreman passed away during Texas’ 2016 season

As a father five times over, I simply can’t imagine doing what D'Onta Foreman did last season.

On the field, the Texas running back was an absolute beast.  He led the nation in rushing yards per game at 184.4 — next closest was San Diego State’s Donnell Pumphrey at 152.4 — while his 2,028 total rushing yards were second to Pumphrey (2,133).  On Nov. 5 against Texas Tech, Foreman ran for 341 yards, the third-highest total in Longhorns history.

In a profile that appeared on the NFL Network, Foreman revealed that, unbeknownst to those outside of the football program, his girlfriend gave birth to a baby boy on Sept. 16.  His son was born premature and weighed just 15 ounces at birth; 50 days later, the infant passed away — not long after Foreman’s historic performance against Tech.

In fact, Foreman learned of his son’s death as he was driving back to the hospital in Texas City after the game to be with him.

From HookEm.com‘s transcription of his interview with the NFL Network:

I always dreamed of having a boy and naming him after me and you know, just seeing him grow. You know, just loving him.

“He was a fighter, you know. He would like fight and he’s going to make it and everything will be fine.”

“I really didn’t know how to feel. I was like numb. I was driving and then I was crying while I was driving. I was crushed and I was so hurt. I feel like something was taken away from me before I even really got the chance to experience it.

While nothing can ever replace Foreman’s loss, there is a silver lining in his story as the back’s girlfriend is again pregnant.  The due date?  The same day D’Onta Vanton Foreman Jr. was born.

Foreman Sr. is one of the players who are part of the pool for the NFL draft, which will take place this Thursday in Philadelphia.

Via Twitter, safety Jordan Fogal says he’s leaving Utah