Floyd says he's playing for Irish Sat. vs. Navy

Already missing their second-leading receiver due to injury, Notre Dame could certainly use the services of their top pass catcher this weekend.

If it’s up to Michael Floyd, that will indeed be the case.

Floyd has been hampered by a hamstring injury throughout the week and did not practice Wednesday.  While he’s not certain how much he’ll play, the junior says he’ll be on the field against Navy.

I’ll tell you right now I’m going to play,” Floyd said according to the Chicago Sun-Times. “I don’t know how much I’m going to play. But we’ll see.”

Head coach Brian Kelly has labeled Floyd as a game-time decision, and said the Irish will continue easing the receiver back into practice Thursday.

“Just making sure he’s alert and knows everything we’re doing within our game plan,” Kelly said. “He wants to get out there. We’re not going to do anything with him until [today]. We’ll move him around [today]. I don’t want to do too much with him until game time and the we’ll see how he feels.

“They think if we give him 72 hours with the treatment we put him on, that should put him in a pretty good position for Saturday ad we’ll just see how he looks and make a decision.”

Floyd’s totals of 44 receptions, 624 yards and six touchdowns all lead the Irish.

Infant son of D’Onta Foreman passed away during Texas’ 2016 season

As a father five times over, I simply can’t imagine doing what D'Onta Foreman did last season.

On the field, the Texas running back was an absolute beast.  He led the nation in rushing yards per game at 184.4 — next closest was San Diego State’s Donnell Pumphrey at 152.4 — while his 2,028 total rushing yards were second to Pumphrey (2,133).  On Nov. 5 against Texas Tech, Foreman ran for 341 yards, the third-highest total in Longhorns history.

In a profile that appeared on the NFL Network, Foreman revealed that, unbeknownst to those outside of the football program, his girlfriend gave birth to a baby boy on Sept. 16.  His son was born premature and weighed just 15 ounces at birth; 50 days later, the infant passed away — not long after Foreman’s historic performance against Tech.

In fact, Foreman learned of his son’s death as he was driving back to the hospital in Texas City after the game to be with him.

From HookEm.com‘s transcription of his interview with the NFL Network:

I always dreamed of having a boy and naming him after me and you know, just seeing him grow. You know, just loving him.

“He was a fighter, you know. He would like fight and he’s going to make it and everything will be fine.”

“I really didn’t know how to feel. I was like numb. I was driving and then I was crying while I was driving. I was crushed and I was so hurt. I feel like something was taken away from me before I even really got the chance to experience it.

While nothing can ever replace Foreman’s loss, there is a silver lining in his story as the back’s girlfriend is again pregnant.  The due date?  The same day D’Onta Vanton Foreman Jr. was born.

Foreman Sr. is one of the players who are part of the pool for the NFL draft, which will take place this Thursday in Philadelphia.

Via Twitter, safety Jordan Fogal says he’s leaving Utah