Coach Hawk's son spars with media, lands glancing blow

With the dismissals of Tim Brewster and Todd Dodge within the last seven days, there’s little doubt that the name Dan Hawkins — along with New Mexico’s Mike Locksley — sits at or near the top of most coaching hot seat lists.

It’s been that way for the better part of two seasons, and apparently all of the canning talk is beginning to wear on someone very close to the Colorado coach.

Cody Hawkins is the son of the coach.  He also happens to be the backup quarterback for the Buffaloes, although he was thrust into action Saturday when starter Tyler Hansen was knocked out because of an injury.

After the game, a 27-24 home loss to Texas Tech, the younger Hawkins chastised the media for the criticism his dad has received, although Cody might want to brush up on his smack talk a little bit before throwing down publicly as the only thing missing from his mini-diatribe was “I know you are but what am I?”

“I’m a college student, so I don’t have enough money to buy a newspaper,” Cody Hawkins said. “Which is probably a good thing. …

“There are a lot of people out there talking and a lot of people who say different stuff. But the same bad things you say about our football team, I’m saying the same bad things about you guys (the media). So I guess it works both ways. … 

“You obviously don’t like it when someone near and dear to you gets criticized. But the bottom line is it’s college football and you’ve got to win football games.”

And there, at the end, young Hawkins finally gets it.  His father is paid millions and millions and millions of dollars to, bottom line, win football games.

After 56 games in four-plus seasons, the elder Hawkins is sporting a 19-37 overall mark, not to mention a 10-25 record in Big 12 play.

That’s simply not good enough.  In some roundabout way, even Cody Hawkins even have to agree with that.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx