Skip to content

Shannon: No ‘Canes QB controversy

In the aftermath of Stephen Morris‘ first career start in Miami’s win Saturday, there was some talk that there was a new quarterbacking sheriff in town.

On a lot of levels, the talk makes sense.  Morris was impressive in the win over Maryland, throwing for 286 yards and a touchdown, although the true freshman did have two interceptions.  Entering a year that saw him appear on many a preseason Heisman list, Jacory Harris has been an erratic disappointment.  Harris has thrown 14 touchdowns against 11 interceptions, and is ranked 83rd in the country in passing efficiency.

A concussion to Harris opened the door for Morris’ start Saturday, but Randy Shannon is attempting to slam shut any discussion of a quarterback controversy.  Basically, the head coach said Sunday that, if Harris is healthy, he will be the starter.  Just when that will be, however, remains to be seen.

“If he’s cleared and doing all the things, then, yes, he’ll be the starter,” Shannon said after the game. “You don’t lose your job because of one game. That’s going to be the next question this week, huh — quarterback controversy. You are all going to make it worse than what it is.

“I will not know until the medical staff tells me. Until the medical staff clears him, Jacory will be out. If the medical staff never clears him, Jacory will not play.

“I can’t say he’s going to play this week, next week or the week after. It’s up to the medical staff. So, when he’s cleared to go, then I can let you guys know.”

Harris is expected to miss this weekend’s game against Georgia Tech as well, meaning that another performance from Morris will cause the cries for a change at the position to grow even louder.  Regardless of what Shannon may say publicly.

Permalink 2 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlantic Coast Conference, Miami Hurricanes, Rumor Mill
2 Responses to “Shannon: No ‘Canes QB controversy”
  1. emaimo80 says: Nov 8, 2010 11:05 AM

    Morris is the Future in Miami although Randy Shannon is likely not!

  2. geetee52 says: Nov 8, 2010 6:17 PM

    Sorry Coach. You don’t get to say whether there is a QB controversy…you only get to decide whether it matters to you or not. I can assure you that out here in the Fan’s part of the world…the part that pays the bills and your salary…there is no doubt there is a controversy.

    Jacory can’t run without getting hurt and he can’t pass without getting intercepted. He rarely sees a 2nd or 3rd receiver…floats the ball…and at best completes 50% of his passes.

    He’s had plenty of time to improve and he hasn’t. A pretty good case can be made that he’s actually regressed.

    It’s time to move on to Plan B before it the program takes a bit hit on next year’s recruiting.

    I remember a time when Miami players were afraid to get hurt because they never knew who would step up and do their job better.

    When Harris actually DID have to originally compete for the job, he lost out to Marve (good grief). Since then, he has not had to compete to hold it and one bad outing just gets him the ball again for the next one.

    Taylor Cook and Cannon Smith left the program and the fans never even got to see what they did or didn’t have. It has been frustrating to see Jacory hobbling around…hand problems…groin problems and God knows what else…and he still ‘HAD’ to play because nobody else had any ‘experience’.

    I really like Coach Shannon…and want him to succeed and be the face of the program for many years, but I hope he doesn’t have a stubborn streak about this that winds up being his undoing.

    Let Morris PLAY.

    -GT

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!