Following up on reports that surfaced Sunday night, Kent State has officially announced the hiring of their new head coach.
Ohio State assistant head coach/wide receivers head coach Darrell Hazell was introduced during a press conference Monday afternoon as the Golden Flashes’ replacement for Doug Martin, who announced his resignation before the end of the 2010 regular season. Hazell becomes the first minority head coach in the 90-year history of the school.
“I couldn’t be more excited to welcome Darrell to the Kent State family,” says Nielsen. “When you’re looking for a head football coach, it’s not just a matter of if they can coach — it’s important to make sure they are a fit for this program, this campus and this community. I have no doubt in my mind that Darrell is that person.”
“I’m proud and excited to be named Kent State’s head football coach,” says Hazell. “I believe this is a tremendous opportunity and I can’t wait to give the Golden Flashes’ fans the winning program they deserve. Many of the pieces are in place to be successful and I’m confident that with a lot of hard work, we’ll get it done.”
Hazell is the first OSU assistant Jim Tressel has lost to a head coaching job since Mark Snyder went to Marshall after the 2004 season.
“I’m so excited for Darrell Hazell as he takes over as the head coach at Kent State,” The Vest said in a statement. “He has certainly been a difference-maker at Ohio State. The Golden Flashes are starting a golden era led by Darrell Hazell. His Buckeye family wishes him every success.”
Hazell’s base salary will be $300,000 with additional contractual details yet to be worked out.
In addition to his seven-year stint with the Buckeyes, Hazell also spent time on staffs at Rutgers and West Virginia.
The developments of today mean that there are three Div. 1-A programs with vacancies: Maryland, Miami of Ohio and Temple.
(Photo courtesy of Kent State University.)
It’s not been a good day for a couple of starting quarterbacks at Group of Five programs.
The Las Cruces Sun-News has reported that New Mexico State’s Tyler Rogers turned himself in last Friday on a warrant that had been issued for him Aug. 14. The junior was booked on one count of misdemeanor charge of battery against a household member.
The alleged victim is Rogers’ girlfriend. A verbal altercation at a party allegedly turned physical in a vehicle later on. When police arrived, the woman, who was initially crying, “downplayed the incident and said that it wasn’t really anything and that the altercation did not get physical and didn’t consider Mr. Rogers grabbing her arm as being a physical altercation.”
The woman decided against completing a domestic violence supplement report, and, according to the Sun-News, it’s unclear if the woman is cooperating with police.
“I was very disappointed in hearing the news but we are in the information gathering stage,” NMSU athletic director Mario Moccia said in a statement. “These are allegations that we take very seriously and we look forward to getting as much detail as possible so the university can be informed and the athletic department can make an informed decision moving forward.”
Because “it is a misdemeanor, there isn’t a suspension coming forth right now,” head coach Doug Martin said.
Rogers has started 15 games the past two seasons for the Aggies.
An off-field incident will lead to some on-field attrition, at least for the short-term, for West Virginia.
Starting left guard Adam Pankey (pictured, large player lifting Smallwood) was arrested earlier this month and charged with driving under the influence following a one-car accident. Dana Holgorsen has confirmed that Pankey has been suspended and will remain that way through at least the opener Sept. 3.
“We hold these guys to high expectations,” the head coach said. “When you don’t meet those, there are going to be consequences. He’s currently suspended from the team. That’s disappointing. He will continue his suspension through Missouri, and we’ll address it at that time.”
Pankey has started 25 games the past two seasons. He started 13 at left tackle in 2014, and 12 at left guard in 2015.
Jim Harbaugh had previously confirmed that two of the three Michigan football players not present for a team photo earlier this month — wide receiver Ahmir Mitchell, running back Kareem Walker and defensive lineman Shelton Johnson — had been suspended, although he declined to specify which two. A couple of weeks later, one of those players has apparently exited the program.
On his Twitter account Wednesday afternoon, Mitchell announced that he is “reopening my recruitment to all Universities and football programs.” It’s unclear if the wide receiver has received a release from his UM scholarship.
“I love what U of M had to offer me but, what is best for me and my family comes first,” Mitchell wrote.
A four-star 2016 recruit, Mitchell was rated as the No. 5 player at any position in the state of New Jersey and the No. 167 player overall on 247sports.com‘s composite board. He was an early enrollee who participated in spring practice.,
With the opener a little over a week way, Eastern Michigan’s quarterback situation is in a significant state of flux.
The Detroit Free Press has reported that Brogan Roback has been suspended by EMU head coach Chris Creighton. The only reason given was “a violation of our policies.”
EMU opens the 2016 season Sept. 3 against Mississippi Valley State, and it appears Roback will miss at least that contest.
“With the privilege of being a member of the Eastern Michigan University football program there are expectations and standards to which we hold our student-athletes accountable,” a portion of a Creighton’s statement sent to the Free Press read.
Roback took over for Reggie Bell as the Eagles’ starting quarterback after Week 1 last year. He threw for 2,304 yards, 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in completing exactly 60 percent of his passes.
Bell transferred after the 2016 season, leaving Roback as the presumptive starter. With Roback’s suspension, it leaves EMU with four scholarship quarterbacks — junior Todd Porter, freshman Isaac Stiebeling, and redshirt freshmen Anton Skupin and James Pensyl. Only Porter, a junior college transfer, has experience at the collegiate level, and would presumably take over as the starter in Roback’s absence.