Four Auburn players arrested on multiple robbery charges

Suffice to say, the glow of winning the 2010 BcS title has officially worn off.  And some media entities will now have additional ammunition to pound the sport on.

According to multiple media outlets, four Auburn players have been arrested and hit with multiple robbery charges.  Junior defensive back Mike McNeil (pictured), freshman wide receiver Shaun Kitchens, freshman wide receiver Antonio Goodwin and freshman tight end Dakota Mosley were charged Friday with five counts of first-degree robbery.  Each.  Additionally, they were each charged with one count of burglary in the first degree and one count of theft of property in the first degree.

From the Auburn police department press release:

According to the five victims present, three black males entered the residence with one displaying a handgun.  Personal property was stolen during the incident.  No injuries were reported.  A patrolman responding to the area observed what he believed to be the suspect vehicle based on a description he was given.  Officers stopped the vehicle in the 1200 block of Wire Road and four suspects were taken into custody.  A pistol and the stolen property was recovered at the scene.  Goodwin, Kitchens, McNeil, and Mosley were transported to the Lee County Detention Center where each is currently being held on a $511,000 bond.

In what can only be described as a very swift reaction, especially in this day and age, all four players have already been permanently dismissed from the football program by head coach Gene Chizik.

“The players arrested in connection with this deeply troubling incident have been permanently dismissed from our football team,” Chizik said in a statement.  “While we realize the legal process will run its course and these young men have a right for their case to be heard, playing for Auburn University is an honor and a privilege. It is not a right.

“We hold our student-athletes to a high standard of conduct on and off the field as representatives of Auburn University, and this kind of behavior is not tolerated.

“I am extremely disappointed and embarrassed by the actions of these individuals. I want to personally apologize to all of those who were impacted by this senseless act, including the victims, Auburn University and the Auburn family.”

McNeil was a starter in 2010, while the other three were backups.  Athletic director Jay Jacobs was 100-percent behind the steps taken by his head coach.

“This type of behavior will not be tolerated at Auburn. I fully support Coach Chizik’s swift and decisive action to dismiss these four student-athletes from our football team effective immediately.”

Infant son of D’Onta Foreman passed away during Texas’ 2016 season

As a father five times over, I simply can’t imagine doing what D'Onta Foreman did last season.

On the field, the Texas running back was an absolute beast.  He led the nation in rushing yards per game at 184.4 — next closest was San Diego State’s Donnell Pumphrey at 152.4 — while his 2,028 total rushing yards were second to Pumphrey (2,133).  On Nov. 5 against Texas Tech, Foreman ran for 341 yards, the third-highest total in Longhorns history.

In a profile that appeared on the NFL Network, Foreman revealed that, unbeknownst to those outside of the football program, his girlfriend gave birth to a baby boy on Sept. 16.  His son was born premature and weighed just 15 ounces at birth; 50 days later, the infant passed away — not long after Foreman’s historic performance against Tech.

In fact, Foreman learned of his son’s death as he was driving back to the hospital in Texas City after the game to be with him.

From HookEm.com‘s transcription of his interview with the NFL Network:

I always dreamed of having a boy and naming him after me and you know, just seeing him grow. You know, just loving him.

“He was a fighter, you know. He would like fight and he’s going to make it and everything will be fine.”

“I really didn’t know how to feel. I was like numb. I was driving and then I was crying while I was driving. I was crushed and I was so hurt. I feel like something was taken away from me before I even really got the chance to experience it.

While nothing can ever replace Foreman’s loss, there is a silver lining in his story as the back’s girlfriend is again pregnant.  The due date?  The same day D’Onta Vanton Foreman Jr. was born.

Foreman Sr. is one of the players who are part of the pool for the NFL draft, which will take place this Thursday in Philadelphia.

Via Twitter, safety Jordan Fogal says he’s leaving Utah