Ex-Kent St. HC lands at New Mexico St.

Four months after firing himself as Kent State’s head coach, Doug Martin has finally found himself a new coaching gig.

In a release issued through the school, New Mexico State head coach DeWayne Walker announced Wednesday that Martin has been named the Aggies’ new offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach.  Martin will replace Mike Dunbar, who abruptly retired earlier this month.

Walker was reportedly upset about the timing of Dunbar’s retirement, which came less than a month before the April 2 start of spring practice.  In his opening remarks regarding Martin’s hiring, Walker appeared to take a not-so-subtle jab at Dunbar’s unexpected departure.

“[C]oach Martin wants to be here in Las Cruces and he wants to be an Aggie,” Walker said. “Being at Kent State and before that at Eastern Carolina, he understands what it takes to build a program. I spent a lot of time talking to him about that very thing. I think he is a leader the players can believe in and buy into his offensive system. After going through the interview process, I feel that Coach Martin is a guy that can come in here and help us get the job done.”

“I’m really excited for the opportunity to come coach at New Mexico State and at a school that is a member of the WAC, a conference that is known for throwing the ball,” Martin said. “When I look at New Mexico State football and some of the things they’ve done over the past several years with facilities and the hiring of Coach Walker, it was perfect fit for me.

“We obviously have to throw the ball much better than we have the last couple of years and we are going to work very hard on our intermediate and three-step passing games. I think fans will enjoy the diversity of the offense and the explosive capabilities in the passing game.”

Martin spent eight seasons with the Golden Flashes, including the last seven as head coach/offensive coordinator.  Prior to that, Martin spent 11 seasons at East Carolina, the last seven as coordinator.

Infant son of D’Onta Foreman passed away during Texas’ 2016 season

As a father five times over, I simply can’t imagine doing what D'Onta Foreman did last season.

On the field, the Texas running back was an absolute beast.  He led the nation in rushing yards per game at 184.4 — next closest was San Diego State’s Donnell Pumphrey at 152.4 — while his 2,028 total rushing yards were second to Pumphrey (2,133).  On Nov. 5 against Texas Tech, Foreman ran for 341 yards, the third-highest total in Longhorns history.

In a profile that appeared on the NFL Network, Foreman revealed that, unbeknownst to those outside of the football program, his girlfriend gave birth to a baby boy on Sept. 16.  His son was born premature and weighed just 15 ounces at birth; 50 days later, the infant passed away — not long after Foreman’s historic performance against Tech.

In fact, Foreman learned of his son’s death as he was driving back to the hospital in Texas City after the game to be with him.

From HookEm.com‘s transcription of his interview with the NFL Network:

I always dreamed of having a boy and naming him after me and you know, just seeing him grow. You know, just loving him.

“He was a fighter, you know. He would like fight and he’s going to make it and everything will be fine.”

“I really didn’t know how to feel. I was like numb. I was driving and then I was crying while I was driving. I was crushed and I was so hurt. I feel like something was taken away from me before I even really got the chance to experience it.

While nothing can ever replace Foreman’s loss, there is a silver lining in his story as the back’s girlfriend is again pregnant.  The due date?  The same day D’Onta Vanton Foreman Jr. was born.

Foreman Sr. is one of the players who are part of the pool for the NFL draft, which will take place this Thursday in Philadelphia.

Via Twitter, safety Jordan Fogal says he’s leaving Utah