Hokies WR facing child endangerment charge

Danny Coale, Xavier Boyce

A Blacksburg Police Department investigation that began earlier this year has resulted in a current member of the Virginia Tech football program being charged, the school’s student newspaper is reporting.

According to the Collegiate Times, wide receiver Xavier Boyce (pictured, No. 29) was arrested Thursday on a charge of child endangerment.  Boyce, the father of the infant child, along with the mother of the infant child were arrested following what was nearly a two-month investigation by the police department.  The mother, Olivia Hutchins, is a track athlete at East Carolina.

The pair, the paper writes, were taken in on charges related to cruelty and injuries to their infant child and later released on a pair of $5,000 bonds.  The injuries that were alleged to have been inflicted upon their infant child occurred Jan. 31 of this year.

The website of WDBJ-TV has a couple of additional details relating to the case, reporting that “the girl baby suffered from internal head injuries.  Investigators say the baby is less than a year old.”

Tech has yet to comment publicly on the charge facing Boyce.

Last season as a redshirt sophomore, Boyce had two receptions for 10 yards.  He missed four games with a knee injury.

UPDATED 8:36 p.m. ET: The Washington Post is reporting that the charge of child endangerment Boyce is facing is a felony.

UPDATED 9:22 p.m. ET: A school spokesperson said that Boyce has been indefinitely suspended from all football-related activities.

Permalink 3 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlantic Coast Conference, Rumor Mill, Top Posts, Virginia Tech Hokies
3 Responses to “Hokies WR facing child endangerment charge”
  1. irishking says: Mar 24, 2011 6:29 PM

Is that called ‘tough love’?

2. brownsfn says: Mar 24, 2011 10:09 PM

SCUMBAG!

3. thefiesty1 says: Mar 24, 2011 10:44 PM

Someone needs to drop this loser on his head (from a tall building).