Tide finds no violations in Calloway’s recruitment

46 Comments

Well, that was certainly fast.

A day after a “report” emerged that an Alabama supporter had “bought” the talents of UA signee Brent Calloway, the school has concluded its investigation.  Whether the SEC and/or NCAA sees this as the end of the saga remains to be seen.

According to both the Birmingham News and TideSports.com, a trip by school officials to Calloway’s hometown of Russellville Friday and subsequent interviews with those close to the linebacker resulted in UA finding no NCAA violations had occurred.  Thus, the school does not plan on filing a report with the NCAA.

At the center of the “controversy” created by Rivals.com‘s Auburn website is a man by the name of Darren Woodruff.  The website levied serious allegations earlier in the week that Woodruff, president of a chemical company and a self-professed Alabama supporter, had given a car to Calloway as well as cash to the recruit and at least one member of his family as an enticement to sign with UA.

Tide officials spoke with Woodruff during their trip to Russellville and uncovered several key distinctions regarding whether Woodruff is a “booster” or merely a really, really big fan of the football program.

Alabama learned that Woodruff drove Calloway to the majority of the school’s home football games in 2009, during his junior year, on unofficial visits. That could be considered an NCAA violation if Woodruff were found to be a representative of Alabama’s athletics interests.

But Alabama also learned that Woodruff is not a graduate of the school and has not donated money to the school’s athletics department or purchased season tickets. Any one of those characteristics could identify a person as a booster.

NCAA Bylaw 13.7.2.1 says a school may provide up to three complimentary passes to a home football game (as long as they’re in the general seating section) for a prospect on an unofficial visit and two guests.

In addition, Alabama learned that Woodruff’s relationship with Calloway began when Calloway transferred to Russellville High School for the ninth grade, which would predate Calloway’s status as a major college football prospect.

That can be an important distinction when the NCAA decides whether a contact made by an individual is impermissible.

NCAA Bylaw 13.1.2.2 lists exceptions to the general rule that prohibits recruiting contacts by a booster. One of those exceptions is an “established family friend or neighbor, it being understood that such contacts are not made for recruiting purposes and are not initiated by a member of the institution’s coaching staff.”

Woodruff himself spoke to TideSports.com, and reiterated what UA officials uncovered.

“I’m not an alumnus, I’ve never bought a ticket from them and I’ve never given them a dime of my money,” Woodruff told the website. “I attended games as a guest of Brent when he was a junior. I did it because he didn’t have a coach that would take him.”

Woodruff also shared an interesting tidbit that sheds some additional light on the motives behind his relationship with Calloway.

Calloway isn’t the only youth Woodruff has helped. Former Russellville student Aaron Hollingsworth, whose house burned down almost two years ago, currently lives with the Woodruffs. Hollingsworth is not a Russellville athlete and has no high school eligibility remaining.

“I’m just passionate about helping young people,” Woodruff said.

On the surface, and at least at the moment, this whole imbroglio seems to be nothing more than a website flinging mud in the general direction of their hated in-state rivals.  As far as Alabama is concerned, nothing has stuck that would constitute an NCAA violation.  As we said earlier, though, whether their conference or the governing body of collegiate athletics agrees that nothing impermissible occurred remains to be seen.

Jim McElwain hints at playing three quarterbacks vs. Michigan

Getty Images
1 Comment

Considering his opponent won’t so much as release a simple roster, there’s no reason whatsoever for Florida head coach Jim McElwain to say anything of consequence.

Still, it sounds as if No. 17 Florida may play all three of its quarterbacks next Saturday against No. 11 Michigan (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC).

“You’re going to see a bunch of them in there playing. The three guys have done a really good job. Not naming a starter right now,” McElwain said. “I think that there’s some things that they all bring to the table that are really good. Now the key to us is putting them in those positions that play to their strengths.

“Will all of them play? I don’t know yet. Will a couple of them play? I don’t know yet. I know we will have somebody at the position. This is not — don’t read into this that we’re not happy where they’re at. It’s really more so the competition has really brought out some good things. It’s going to be … ultimately the guy the team moves with the best, the guys that create positive plays on third down and get the ball in the end zone [that we go with].”

The three of them, by the way, are graduate transfer Malik Zaire, junior Luke Del Rio and redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks. In a world governed by the truism of “If you have two quarterbacks you don’t have any,” it’s not exactly a good sign that none of Zaire, Del Rio or Franks have separated themselves from the others.

Zaire showed flashes but was eventually benched at Notre Dame and just arrived on campus this summer. Del Rio, a 2-time transfer before arriving at Florida, was the Gators’ starter coming out of training camp last season but fought through injuries throughout the season. And Franks is a 6-foot-5 former 5-star recruit that many thought would have grabbed the job by the horns by now.

While every team turns over from one season to the next, Florida finished 105th nationally in yards per play last season while Michigan’s defense placed second. With top playmaker Antonio Callaway serving a suspension, Florida will look to put the ball in the hands of whomever can move it, even if three of them happen to play quarterback.

Tracy Claeys discusses protests that led to his firing from Minnesota

Getty Images
2 Comments

Chances are you haven’t heard Tracy Claeys‘s name mentioned in a while. The former Minnesota interim-turned-full time head coach was let go in January and has not been picked up by a new staff in the months since.

But Minnesota released an outside report last week that defended the school’s decision to suspend 10 players amid a sexual assault investigation and pinned the subsequent team-wide threatened boycott of the Holiday Bowl on “weak leadership” of the coaching staff. The Gophers played and won that Holiday Bowl, but it wasn’t enough to save Claeys’s job.

On Wednesday, Claeys penned an essay in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that both defended his tenure as the Golden Gophers’ head coach and admitted mistakes in a saga that would have swallowed many a head coach’s career.

Last September, I suspended five players for a reported sexual assault. When law enforcement authorities the following month declined to file any charges, the university reinstated those players. At the time, I was congratulated by our athletic director for my handling of this issue and promised that I would remain the head football coach in 2017.

But university officials soon conducted their own inquiry and in December resuspended the five players and suspended five more — again, even though prosecutors had determined there was no basis for formal charges.

Members of our Football Leadership Group and others on the team felt strongly that administration officials had overstepped their authority and that the accused players were treated unfairly and denied protection under due process. To amplify their argument and shine light on what players felt was a flawed and unjust process by the university, the team voted to boycott the Holiday Bowl.

It was a decision that moved us directly into the national spotlight. Unfortunately, some misunderstood or misinterpreted the players’ decision to boycott the Holiday Bowl. They felt that our team and coaches were condoning or downplaying sexual misconduct or assault. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

In light of this new report, are there things I would have done differently? Certainly. First and foremost, I would have remained on campus with my team and coaches rather than attend a Holiday Bowl news conference in San Diego. I’m confident that my presence would have better directed the conversation with our players and that I could have steered them toward something other than a decision to boycott the game.

 I also would have refrained from using social media to state my support of the team’s decision. This was too complex and important an issue to address in a 140-character message. It generated more questions than it answered and likely created more problems than it solved.
Claeys was 11-8 in his one and a half seasons as Minnesota’s head coach, his first head coaching job. Assuming he does not get hired in the next week and a half, the 2017 season will be Claeys’s first out of the game since launching his career as a student trainer at Kansas in the early ’90’s.

Kirk Ferentz and wife donate $1 million to Iowa children’s hospital

Getty Images
2 Comments

Kirk Ferentz may be the but of a bunch of contract-related jokes, but no one jokes about the man’s character.

And for good reason.

The University of Iowa’s Stead Family Children’s Hospital announced Wednesday that Kirk and his wife Mary have donated $1 million to create the Savvy Ferentz Program in Neonatal Research, which will aim to improve the survival rate for premature babies. The Ferentzes made the donation in honor of their granddaughter Savvy, who was born in 2014 at 22 weeks gestation.

“We knew Savvy was born too early,” Mary said in a statement. “We also knew they do extraordinary things at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital that would give her a fighting chance. We were thankful we had that.”

The Stead Family Children’s Hospital claims higher survival rates for infants born at 24- and 25-weeks than the average U.S. hospital, and the Ferentzes hope their donation will further increase those rates.

“The University of Iowa has long been a leader in neonatal research and in providing high-level patient care, particularly to this most vulnerable population,” Iowa pediatrics professor Dr. Jeffrey L. Segar said. “This gift from the Ferentzes will help us capitalize on our strengths, advance our research, and, most important, make an impact on the lives of many Iowa children and their families, now and far into the future. We are deeply grateful for their support.”

Kirk Ferentz will begin his 19th season as Iowa’s head coach next Saturday against Wyoming (noon ET, BTN).

Texas TE Andrew Beck now out for entire 2017 season

Getty Images
Leave a comment

As it turns out, it’s much worse than originally thought for one playing member of the Texas football program.

Nearly a week ago, Andrew Beck went down during practice with what was later diagnosed to be a broken foot.  At the time, it was thought that the tight end would miss anywhere from 6-8 weeks, which would’ve put him back, at the latest, early October.

Fast-forward to Wednesday, however, and the Longhorns announced that Beck will be sidelined for the entire 2017 season because of the injury.  The senior will undergo surgery at some point this week to repair the damage.  He’s already undergone two previous foot surgeries and sat out the spring because of issues in that area.

The good news is that Beck has yet to use his redshirt season, which means he could return in 2018 as a fifth-year senior.

Beck started 13 games the past two seasons, including three in 2016.  Last season, he caught four passes for 82 yards and a pair of touchdowns.  Entering summer camp, he had been expected to be the Longhorns’ starter.

With Beck out, that onus will likely fall on Kendall Moore, a graduate transfer from Syracuse.