When it was announced in December that five members of the Ohio State football program had been suspended for the the first five games of the 2011 season, one of the conditions that allowed the quintet of juniors to play in the Buckeyes’ Sugar Bowl match-up with Arkansas was that they all promised to return to the school for another season.
Each member of the Buckeye Five agreed to that stipulation — although Pryor later hinted that not all may stick to it — and all stuck to that pledge as the deadline for early entry into the April NFL draft came and went. However, based on one report, the most recognizable member of that group is still considering reneging on that promise.
Citing an unnamed source, the National Football Post is reporting that “the odds of Pryor staying for his senior season are about 60-40” and is considering making himself available for the NFL’s supplemental draft this summer. For whatever reason, the source told NFP that whether Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd enters the supplemental draft will play a role in Pryor’s decision. Floyd avoided an in-season suspension from the school following a third alcohol-related brush with the law, but head coach Brian Kelly has yet to reinstate the All-American and a suspension meted out by the football program is still a possibility.
A source with knowledge of Pryor’s thinking tells CFT that while the subject of the supplemental draft had been broached by some close to the quarterback in the past, “if you’re going to put odds on it, there’s a 99.99-percent chance” that he sticks to his word and returns for his senior season. With that said, we would not be surprised by anything that Pryor does, up to and including leaving OSU early for the NFL.
The supplemental draft is normally held in mid-July, but the uncertain labor situation makes it unclear whether or not there will even be a supplemental version of the draft this year for anyone to enter.
Pryor has not participated in spring practice this year after undergoing a pair of operations to repair ligament damage in his foot the past couple of months.
UPDATED 2:59 p.m. ET: Adam Jardy of the Buckeye Sports Bulletin tweeted the following shortly after NFP’s post, further casting doubt on the report that has Pryor considering making himself available for the supplemental draft.
“Talked to someone very close to Terrelle Pryor who told me he has never once mentioned the Supplemental Draft. Stop that rumor right now.”
For years there was a thought that Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster would one day be the successor to longtime head coach Frank Beamer. With Beamer announcing his decision to retire at the end of the season, there was never any word about Foster being handed the keys to the program. Instead, Virginia Tech has found a coach with an offensive identity in the hiring of Justin Fuente from Memphis. Given the way coaching changes can tend to go, nobody would have blamed Foster for being a tad miffed at not getting the job in Blacksburg, but he will remain the defensive coordinator of the Hokies as a key member of Fuente’s new staff. He says he has put in too much work to leave now.
“I’m rooted in here. We put a lot of blood, sweat and tears in this place,” Foster said Monday. “It wasn’t hard. I wouldn’t have stayed here for as long as I’ve had if I didn’t feel like we had the opportunity to win at the highest level. I feel that more than ever right now.”
Fuente being able to keep Foster on the staff is a huge advantage. Foster not only ensures Fuente will have a dependable coach managing the defense, which should remain one of the top defensive units in the ACC as long as he stays put. Keeping Foster on the staff also allows for some tremendous stability during the transition, which can always be key when a coach with no previous ties to the university takes over a program. Foster can help Fuente get acclimated to his new surroundings and also keep valuable recruiting ties alive and well during the change.
Foster acknowledged he would love to one day be a head coach, and that dream will continue, but for now he is more interested in contributing at Virginia Tech.
“I always wanted to be a head coach. This would be a dream job. I’m happy with where I am. I’ll never be bitter. I won’t cry myself to sleep wishing “what-ifs” and they type of thing. My goal is to be the best football coach I can possibly be. I want to help this program be the best football program it can possibly be.”
On Monday morning Georgia head coach Mark Richt said he was absolutely going to continue coaching even though his days at Georgia are coming to an end. If that is the case, Maryland would like to make that a reality for Richt.
According to a report from Inside MD Sports, Maryland has made first contact with Richt and a meeting could come as soon as tomorrow. Maryland is looking to fill a head coaching vacancy after firing Randy Edsall during the season. Richt will not be the only potential candidate to interview for the Maryland job. The Washington Post reported Monday interim head coach Mike Locksley was also given a chance to interview for the job on a permanent basis. That interview was reportedly set to happen Monday.
It would make sense for Maryland to make a call to Richt. With Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank looking to help build the Maryland program, there are sufficient funds to make a splashy hire for the program, which is showing signs of a well-structured future with plans to improve the football program. The Maryland job has some good potential in the long-term and competes in the same division as some tough opponents. That would include at least two coaches Richt is very familiar with; Ohio State’s Urban Meyer and Penn State’s James Franklin. Richt faced Meyer when the Buckeyes head coach was at Florida, and Franklin of course coached at Vanderbilt. All three were in the same SEC East Division down south. Could they be reunited in the Big Ten East in 2016?
Whatever the case may be, if Maryland can land Richt as its next head coach, it would be a tremendous hire for the Terrapins. Heck, he already has the attire for it.
Nebraska will be first in line to accept a bowl invitation when it arrives in the mail, despite going 5-7 this season. The Huskers, who are first in line among 5-7 candidates based on APR scores, will reportedly accept a bowl invitation to fill the first vacancy left to fill once all bowl-eligible teams are slotted into the postseason mix.
Missouri released a statement earlier today saying it will not accept a bowl invitation following a 5-7 season. The Tigers would have been the second team among 5-7 teams to receive a bowl invitation based on APR scores. According to a report by Brett McMurphy of ESPN.com, Kansas State would be next in line, followed by Minnesota, San Jose State, Illinois and Rice.
Missouri and Nebraska would appear to have different agendas of course. Nebraska is coming off the first season under new head coach Mike Riley, while Missouri is in the midst of a full coaching search. The decision not to go to a bowl game allows Missouri’s coaching staff in place under the now retired Gary Pinkel to pursue new opportunities without having bowl preparations get in the way.
Maryland will have a new head coach in 2016. Whoever that head coach ends up being will have to find a way to replace one of Maryland’s best players. Defensive lineman Yannick Ngakoue says he will skip his final year of eligibility with the Terrapins and declare for the 2016 NFL Draft.
Ngakoue was the second in the Big Ten with 13.0 sacks this season, trailing only Penn State defensive lineman Carl Nassib. Ngakoue’s sack total is a Maryland school record and was one of the few reasons for optimism for Maryland’s dreadful football season, which ended with just three wins.