Steve Spurrier

Spurrier gets a raise… but eschews an extension

Let the “riding off (gloriously shirtless) into the sunset” rumors commence.  Again.

Officially confirming reports from earlier this year, South Carolina announced Friday that the school’s executive committee has approved an amended contract for the Head Ball Coach Steve Spurrier.  The committee also approved a new deal for USC’s women’s basketball coach, and the only reason we’re mentioning that is because she was mentioned in the athletic director’s official statement.

“Our football and women’s basketball programs are both moving in the right direction under the leadership of Coach Spurrier and Coach Staley,” said AD Eric Hyman. “They are both committed to taking their respective programs to the highest level and win championships. We are committed to providing them with the resources they need to be successful here. The future of both programs is exceptionally bright and we want to recognize the jobs that they are doing at the University of South Carolina.”

Spurrier’s new deal calls for increases in compensation to $2.8 million in 2011, and then $2,875,000 in 2012 and $2,950,000 in 2013.  Spurrier earned $2 million during a 2010 season that saw the Gamecocks claim the SEC East title for the first time in the school’s history.

Interestingly, and what will lead to much speculation, is the fact that, per Spurrier’s request, the Ol’ Ball Coach did not receive an extension in the amended contract.  As a result, he’s currently still signed through the 2013 season.

Hyman warned people that they “shouldn’t read too much into” the lack of a desire for an extension, but Spurrier’s words from a year and a half ago resonate even louder with the lack of years added to this deal.

I hope and plan to go three or four more years,” Spurrier said in November of 2009. “Certainly if we’re going 6-6 or 7-5 (in three or four years), someone else should certainly have the opportunity to coach. …

“We’ll see what happens.”

Shortly after Spurrier made those comments, he signed a new contract that extended his contract through the 2013 season.  That would be the far end of Spurrier’s “three or four more years”, and the numbers lining up take on greater import with the OBC eschewing an extension this time around.

Then again, if the ‘Cocks continue on their upward trajectory, would Spurrier really walk away from a winning program he built?  Even at the age of almost 69, that might be a tough proposition for the OBC.

Wisconsin LB Vince Biegel back from injury a lot sooner than expected

MADISON, WI - SEPTEMBER 17:  Vince Biegel #47 of the Wisconsin Badgers celebrates after making a tackle in the second quarter against the Georgia State Panthers at Camp Randall Stadium on September 17, 2016 in Madison, Wisconsin. (Photo by Dylan Buell/Getty Images)