When Penn State commenced spring practice last month, there were four legitimate contenders for the starting quarterback job.
Ahead of Saturday’s spring game, head coach Joe Paterno has confirmed he’s sliced the number of competitors in half. Whether or not one of the two will remain around to resume the duel in summer camp still remains to be seen.
The legendary coach told reporters before the start of the annual Blue-White game that he’s “99 percent sure it’s going to be one of the two kids.” The “two kids” Paterno refers to are last year’s season-opening starter Robert Bolden and last year’s season-ending starter Matt McGloin.
Based on Paterno’s words, it appears redshirt freshman Paul Jones and junior Kevin Newsome will be on the outside of the battle for the starting job looking in. Paterno said the former’s lack of experience compared to Bolden and McGloin has put him behind, while the former’s work ethic — or lack thereof — is what’s holding him back from giving a serious challenge to the two front-runners.
One thing that won’t happen, regardless of how the duo performs in the glorified scrimmage this afternoon, is Paterno naming a starter.
“No need to. No sense in doing it,” Paterno said.
What effect that will have on Bolden’s future is certainly up for debate. The true sophomore requested a release from his PSU scholarship earlier this year, but was denied by Paterno. While he returned to the program, his mother said earlier this week that’s she’s uncertain whether he will remain in Happy Valley following the spring sessions or look to transfer.
For what it’s worth, Paterno feels Bolden will stay and resume the fight in camp.