The end? Gators’ Janoris Jenkins arrested yet again

For the third time in less than two years, and the second time in three months, Janoris Jenkins has gone and got himself arrested.

Whether Will Muschamp considers this a “third strike and he’s out” situation remains to be seen and will be a significant test of the new “culture” the first-year head coach is trying to develop in Gainesville.

Both the St. Petersburg Times and Florida Times-Unionare reporting that the Florida cornerback was arrested early Saturday morning and charged with possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana.  Jenkins was given a notice to appear, and his preliminary court date is scheduled for May 12.

According to a release from the Gainesville Police Department, a GPD officer noticed Jenkins sitting in a car in a parking lot at 104 N. Main St. and smoking a cigar at 12:35 a.m. Jenkins left the vehicle after noticing the officer, the release said, but the officer saw a burnt marijuana cigar in the center console of the vehicle.

No one from the university, including Muschamp, has commented publicly on Jenkins’ latest brush with the law.

Jenkins was arrested in late January for possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana after he was observed by police officers rolling a joint in the restroom of a downtown Gainesville nightclub.  In May of 2009, Jenkins was charged with resisting arrest without violence — after being on the receiving end of a taser.

Following a junior season that saw him named to the All-SEC first team, Jenkins, who was under a no-contact edict in spring practice as he rehabbed his surgically-repaired shoulder, surprised many observers by declining the opportunity to leave early for the NFL draft this past January and instead returned to the Gators for another season.  Whether or not he actually gets to see the field in a UF uniform for “another season” is certainly up for debate.

Our guess?  Muschamp will have no choice; he’ll have to let him go.