Singer Patti LaBelle sings at the dedication of the Ronald H. Brown United States Mission to the United Nations Building in New York

Army starting CB involved in incident with Patti LaBelle’s bodyguards, sent into active duty

35 Comments

No, seriously, that’s what’s (apparently) going down.

In one of the more bizarre stories involving a college football player you’ll ever hear, Army cornerback Richard King has been suspended by the West Point school for one year following an incident at a Houston airport involving R&B singer Patti LaBelle and her bodyguards.

And, not only has he been suspended for a year, his sanctions also include being sent into active duty.

(Kinda makes running steps in a stadium seem trite, doesn’t it?)

King suffered a concussion — he’s reportedly had nearly 10 of those types of head injuries — during the March 11 altercation and has filed a lawsuit against LaBelle.  Because of the injuries suffered during the incident, King has been told by doctors that he’ll never play football again.

Here are the pertinent details as relayed by HudsonValley.com:

King, who was home from spring break, filed a  lawsuit this week, suing LaBelle, saying she ordered her bodyguards to beat him up as he waited for a ride home outside a terminal at Bush Intercontinental Airport. The lawsuit, which was obtained by the Associated Press, says LaBelle believed King was standing too close to her “(no doubt expensive) luggage, even though he was oblivious to her presence and the danger he was in.”

Check out the surveillance video and be the judge. King is shown being pummeled by three bodyguards. It appears some pushing was involved before the altercation.

LaBelle’s limousine driver told Houston police King hit him after he asked King to back away from the limo that LaBelle was in. The driver and a bodyguard told police King appeared to be intoxicated. One of King’s lawyers admits King had a few drinks but denied he was intoxicated.

King answered, “No,” when he was asked by an ABC News reporter if he was drunk.

And here is the video clip mentioned by the paper.  The real drama begins right around the 1:30 mark and is at the bottom of the screen:

As noted by HudsonValley.com, there had to have been more to this situation — or other situations were involved — than just what’s been reported for the Army to send a concussed cadet into active duty as punishment.

King had been held out of spring practice as a precaution against the concussion, but his football career appears to be over, whether it be due to the multiple head injuries or the disciplinary action taken by the military school.  And, as an aside, what the hell was a football player who’s suffered in the neighborhood of 10 concussions going to be doing on a football field anyway?

Be that as it may, King started nine games as a sophomore in 2010 and was expected to man one of the corner spots in 2011 until the incident/injury derailed those plans.

Missouri hires former Texas coach Brick Haley as new defensive line coach

COLUMBIA, MO - SEPTEMBER 24:  Defensive end Charles Harris #91 and defensive lineman Jordan Harold #55 of the Missouri Tigers celebrate after sacking quarterback Daniel Epperson #11 of the Delaware State Hornets during the game at Faurot Field/Memorial Stadium on September 24, 2016 in Columbia, Missouri.  (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It took a few weeks, but Missouri head coach Barry Odom has a new defensive line coach.

The school announced the hiring of Brick Haley on Friday afternoon, a longtime veteran SEC coach who heads to Columbia after previously serving on Charlie Strong’s staff at Texas.

“I’m very pleased and really excited to be joining Coach Odom’s program,” said Haley in a release.  “We haven’t worked together, but I’m very aware of him and the reputation he has in the coaching profession.  I look at this as an unbelievable opportunity to work with someone who has such an impressive passion and work ethic.  It didn’t take me long in our conversations to know that Coach Odom is the right guy and someone you want to work with.  I believe that Mizzou is a place where the sky is the limit, and I’m looking forward to being part of the program.”

Haley has a strong reputation as a recruiter, which is helpful considering that the Tigers are in a bit of a rebuilding job right now. In addition his recent stop at Texas, he also coached at LSU, the Chicago Bears, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, Clemson and others.

Missouri does have a strong tradition of producing first-round picks along the defensive line and it appears that, after a one year speed bump with Jackie Shipp, the program has found the next coach to help carry on that tradition.

Fourth Georgia Tech player to transfer since end of season

DUBLIN, IRELAND - SEPTEMBER 03: Christian Philpott of Georgia Tech celebrates victory over Boston College in the Aer Lingus College Football Classic Ireland 2016 at Aviva Stadium on September 3, 2016 in Dublin, Ireland.  (Photo by Patrick Bolger/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Late last month, leading rusher Marcus Marshall become one of a trio of Georgia Tech football players who have announced their decisions to transfer since the end of the regular season.  Thursday, that trio became a quartet.

On his personal Twitter account last night, Christian Philpott (pictured, No. 82) announced that he will be transferring from the Yellow Jackets in January.  The wide receiver said he came to the decision after talks with family and friends, although he didn’t detail precisely why he was leaving the football program.

If Philpott decides another FBS program will be his next collegiate stop, he’d have to sit out the 2017 season to satisfy NCAA transfer bylaws. Beginning in 2018, he’d then have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

A three-star 2015 signee, Philpott took a redshirt as a true freshman because of an injury. This season, Philpott caught one pass for nine yards in three games this season.

UNC’s Nazair Jones leaving Tar Heels early for NFL

CHAPEL HILL, NC - NOVEMBER 14:  Nazair Jones #90 and Dominquie Green #26 of the North Carolina Tar Heels tackle Mark Walton #1 of the Miami Hurricanes during their game at Kenan Stadium on November 14, 2015 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Another day, another college player giving up the college football life for a professional payday.

North Carolina announced Friday that Nazair Jones has elected to forego his final season of eligibility and make himself available for the 2017 NFL draft.  The defensive tackle will play in UNC’s Sun Bowl matchup with Stanford Dec. 30 before shifting his focus to preparing for the draft.

“I’m so thankful for this amazing university,” statement from Jones began. “The University of North Carolina has changed me so much since the first day I stepped on campus. Throughout my career, I have been with a family of brothers and found people that have become my closest friends. I want to thank our amazing coaching staff, support staff and an incredible fan base. I know Tar Heel nation will always have my back!”

“It’s been a pleasure coaching Naz throughout his career at UNC and watching him grow as a person both on and off the field,” head coach Larry Fedora said. “He has overcome great physical adversity and improved tremendously since he came into the program in 2013. This season he was the leader of our defensive line and someone everyone on the team respected. I believe he has a bright future in professional football if he continues to work hard and focus on being the best he can be.”

Jones has started 21 of the 34 games in which he’s played.  The past two seasons, he was named third-team All-ACC.

Urban Meyer could lose two OSU assistants to FBS head-coaching jobs

CHAMPAIGN, IL - OCTOBER 15:  Head coach Luke Fickell of the Ohio State Buckeyes watches as his team takes on the Illinois Fighting Illini at Memorial Stadium on October 15, 2011 in Champaign, Illinois. Ohio State defeated Illinois 17-7.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

Thanks to a flurry of activity the past couple of days, there are just five head coach openings at the FBS level remaining.  Depending on how things play out the next 24-48 hours, it may be a couple of Ohio State assistants who fill two of those openings.

The speculation with the most traction appears to involve Luke Fickell, with the OSU co-defensive coordinator reportedly the frontrunner for the Cincinnati job.  According to one report, negotiations between Fickell and UC officials is currently underway; another says there have been talks but no negotiations.

The only certainty in this situation, it seems, is that an announcement on a new Bearcats coach won’t come today.  It could, though, come this weekend.

Losing Fickell could actually cost Urban Meyer two assistants at once to an in-state school as, the speculation goes, cornerbacks coach/special teams coordinator Kerry Coombs would potentially follow the coach to UC as defensive coordinator.

In addition to those two assistants, Buckeyes’ co-offensive coordinator Ed Warinner is in play for the head-coaching vacancy at Western Kentucky.

In addition to UC and WKU, the remaining FBS openings include Florida Atlantic, Temple South Florida. Charlie Strong is the overwhelming favorite for the USF job and an announcement of his hiring could come as early as today.