DeVier Posey,left, Mike Adams, Boom Herron, Terrelle Pryor, Solomon Thomas

Ohio State’s Boom Herron says he’s learned from mistakes, ready to move on

8 Comments

Interestingly enough, it was former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor who indicated at the tail end of last year that he would be staying at Ohio State while simultaneously questioning whether the other four Buckeyes involved in “Tattoo-gate” would do the same.

Fast forward five months and it’s Pryor who has hired an agent, thus making himself ineligible for the 2011 season, while the other four players — offensive lineman Mike Adams, running back Boom Herron, wide receiver DeVier Posey and defensive lineman Solomon Thomas — have decided to stick it out one more (half) year in Columbus.

And, in an interview with the Warren Tribune Chronicle, Herron says the decision to stay was based on some unfinished business.

“You live and learn from the mistakes you make when you’re a younger child. No one is perfect in this world. I’ve learned from the mistakes I’ve made,” Herron said. “Those five weeks I’ll be out, I’ll just be getting better and trying to lead my team the best way I can, on and off the field. That’s all I can do.

“I still have the same mindset I had right after the bowl game – just come back, work hard and try to win a national championship. We still have a great coaching staff. Losing coach Tressel is a big thing, but I think we can can all pull together and do this.”

Speaking of Jim Tressel, Herron says he’s confident Ohio State won’t have a dropoff with new interim coach Luke Fickell.

“He’s doing his best to keep us going,” Herron said. “I think he’s doing a great job. He’s going to be a great coach for us.

“Coach Tressel is still a great person to me. He’s been a great person to me,” Herron added. “I still love him and I still respect him. Nothing has changed the way I think of the great man he is. He’s still a great man to me. He’s been a mentor to me and he’s done great things for me. I still support him and I’ll still back him in everything he does.”

Herron is definitely saying the right things now, but it will be paramount that he and other senior Buckeyes follow through on that leadership come this fall when the program needs it most.

Baylor’s Chris Johnson reportedly transferring to Houston

FORT WORTH, TX - NOVEMBER 27:  Chris Johnson #13 of the Baylor Bears throws against the TCU Horned Frogs in the first quarter at Amon G. Carter Stadium on November 27, 2015 in Fort Worth, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Baylor Attrition Day” here at CFT continues, although this one has nothing to do with a 2016 signee.

According to a report from Rivals.com affiliate SicEmSports, Chris Johnson has decided to leave Baylor and transfer into the Houston football program.  The same website is reporting that the Bears gave the erstwhile quarterback a release from his scholarship.

Johnson will be graduating from BU this summer, thus making himself immediately eligible to play for the Cougars in 2016.  Not only that, but he will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Thanks to a rash of injuries at the position, Johnson started two games for the Bears at quarterback in 2015 before he too sustained an injury. He returned to start BU’s bowl win over North Carolina, but changed positions this spring and was listed as a wide receiver/tight end on his official BU profile. At least in the beginning, he’s expected to continue in a receiving role with the Cougars.

Third 2016 Baylor signee set to move on to Texas

DALLAS - OCTOBER 11:  The Texas Longhorns band enters the field before a game against the Oklahoma Sooners at the Cotton Bowl on October 11, 2008 in Dallas, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

This past week, Texas confirmed four-star 2016 Baylor signee Devin Duvernay had joined Charlie Strong‘s football program, just a couple of days after BU announced five 2016 signees had been granted releases from their National Letters of Intent.  Shortly after that, another 2016 BU signee, offensive lineman J.P. Urquidez, revealed via Twitter that he too will be moving on to the Longhorns.

Now, another has migrated from Waco to Austin.

According to a report from ESPN.com, Donovan Duvernay has committed to play his college football for Texas.  This Duvernay is the twin brother of Devan Duvernay.

The wide receiver will be eligible to play for the Longhorns in 2016.

A three-star member of the Bears’ 2016 recruiting class, Duvernay was rated as the No. 61 athlete in the country and the No. 113 player at any position in the state of Texas.

Texas the landing spot for second four-star 2016 Baylor signee

SAN ANTONIO, TX - DECEMBER 30:  Texas Longhorns mascot Bevo wears a harness in honor of head coach Mack Brown during the Valero Alamo Bowl against the Oregon Ducks at the Alamodome on December 30, 2013 in San Antonio, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

In the end, Baylor’s loss will turn into Texas’ gain.  Again.

Just a couple of days after Baylor announced five 2016 signees had been granted releases from their National Letters of Intent, one of those prospects announced their new landing spot.  And, to add insult to injury, said landing spot is a fellow Big 12 member.

And the state’s flagship university for good measure.

Pictured with Texas head coach Charlie Strong, that would be offensive lineman J.P. Urquidez announcing that he will begin his collegiate playing career with the Longhorns. And the get for UT, at least when it comes to recruiting pedigree, is a huge one.

Urquidez was a four-star BU signee this past February, rated as the No. 22 offensive tackle; the No. 37 player at any position in the state of Texas; and the No. 244 player on 247Sports.com‘s composite board.

The lineman becomes the second 2016 Bears signee to join the Longhorns since the sexual assault scandal slammed headfirst into Waco. Late this past week, UT confirmed the addition of four-star wide receiver Devin Duvernay.

Reportedly transferring from Vols, Ray Raulerson confirms he’s ‘exploring options’

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 4.58.03 PM
Tennessee athletics
Leave a comment

Thursday, reports surfaced that two Tennessee offensive linemen would be leaving the Volunteers football program and possibly transferring to the FCS level.  Friday, one of those two confirmed he’s looking into it.

Speaking to The Knoxville News Sentinel, Ray Raulerson acknowledged that he’s “exploring options right now,” although he stopped short of confirming a transfer.  However, the redshirt sophomore center talked of his time in Knoxville in the past tense, an indication that he is prepared to move on.

“I’m exploring options right now,” Raulerson told the News Sentinel. “…I really loved it at Tennessee, but I’m going to go to a place where I have a better chance to play.”

Raulerson was a three-star member of UT’s 2014 recruiting class.  After redshirting as a true freshman, he played in five games in 2015.

It has yet to be confirmed that the other lineman, fifth-year senior tackle Dontavius Blair, is indeed transferring.  Raulerson, though, told the newspaper that his teammate is leaving as well.