Updated: South Carolina cornerback gets booted from team


While quarterback Stephen Garcia is inching closer to a full return to South Carolina this fall following his fifth suspension from the team in April, it appears redshirt freshman cornerback Victor Hampton will not be shown the same mercy.

Hampton was dismissed from the Gamecocks football team today for unspecified reasons, South Carolina Sports Information Director Steve Fink said.

Hampton has since taken to Twitter to voice his disbelief.

“smh im gone….damn

“didnt even get a chance to play thts wat hurts the most.. now i gotta leave mi brothers again mi lifes shoes have walked so far already.”

Although it’s unclear at this present moment what Hampton did to warrant his dismissal, SCNow.com indicates that the Darlington, SC native and former high school U.S. Army All-American traveled a rocky road to Columbia.

“He [Hampton] was arrested Feb. 5, 2010, while still at Darlington and charged with being a minor in possession of alcohol. Darlington authorities later dropped the charge.

“It wasn’t Hampton’s first run-in with the law. He faced a disorderly conduct charge in July of 2008 in the Charlotte area, although that charge was subsequently dropped, he said.”

Exiting spring practice, Hampton was listed as the backup to starting corner Stephon Gilmore.

UPDATED 5:30 p.m. ET: Hampton has tweeted that he is possibly interested in transferring to Grambling and that his dismissal from the team was unexpected.

“this (expletive) crazy shawty 1030 this morning they hit me wit this (expletive) no call no nuthn showed they tru colors,” Hampton said.

Translation: The circumstances surrounding my dismissal from the South Carolina Gamecocks are bewildering. At 10:30 a.m. this morning the university unexpectedly informed me of their decision without any prior notice. Such a choice has left me to believe that team officials were not the close friends who cared about my well-being as I previously thought.

Dismissed by ‘Cuse, Ashton Broyld lands at West Georgia

Ashton Broyld, Steele Divitto
Associated Press
Leave a comment

A little over two months after getting the boot from Syracuse, Ashton Broyld has found himself a new college football home.

Multiple outlets have picked up on the fact that Broyld is now playing for Div. II West Georgia.  Broyld left the Orange listed as a running back, but is playing wide receiver according to the team’s official roster.

There was already a familiar face in the locker room upon Broyld’s arrival as Wayne Williams is playing defensive tackle for the Wolves.  Williams announced in late June that he had decided to transfer out of Scott Shafer‘s ‘Cuse program.

I checked in on them,” Shafer said of his two former players Thursday. “I’m happy to see those guys are still playing football.”

In 2013, Broyld led the team in both receptions (52) and receiving yards (452). Broyld was the Orange’s leading receiver through the first three games last season before a lower-leg injury caused him to miss eight of the last nine games.

In late July, Broyld was dismissed for violating unspecified team rules.

Vols ‘very confident there was no inappropriate conduct’ between Butch Jones, player

KNOXVILLE, TN - OCTOBER 11:  Head coach Butch Jones of the Tennessee Volunteers watches the action during a game against the Chattanooga Mocs at Neyland Stadium on October 11, 2014 in Knoxville, Tennessee.  (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

In the midst of reports that he had a physical altercation with one of his Tennessee players during summer camp this year, Butch Jones labeled the speculation “absolutely ridiculous.”

Apparently, his bosses agree with the head coach.

At a board meeting Thursday, UT-Knoxville chancellor Jimmy Cheek stated that he and athletic director Dave Hart had done their “due diligence” in investigating the accusations that Jones and senior offensive lineman Mack Crowder were involved in some type of physical skirmish during practice this past August.  The end result of interviews with Jones, coaches and players was the conclusion that there was nothing to the reports and message-board rumors.

“There’s been a lot of rumor and misinformation on social media and message boards about an alleged incident during football practice,” Cheek said according to GoVols247.com‘s Wes Rucker. “It’s not our practice to respond to rumors, but I thought it was important to let you know that we’ve done our due diligence and Dave Hart and I are very confident there was no inappropriate conduct with any players or coaches.”

Shortly after Cheek spoke at the board meeting, Crowder took to Twitter with a series of missives that speaks around the issue.