2011 USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships - Day 3

‘Horns WR to redshirt, concentrate on track

Over this past weekend, Texas track athlete Marquise Goodwin, who also moonlights as a UT wide receiver, claimed the USA outdoor long jump title and qualified for the IAAF World Championships in Korea.

The only problem with that is the finals of the long jump at the worlds is Sept. 2, one day before the Longhorns’ 2011 season opener.  Goodwin said he would “figure it all out” when asked after the win how he’d make the track/football thing work.

Goodwin has indeed figured it out, and, unfortunately, it will cost the Longhorns an experienced receiver for not just the opener but for the entire upcoming season.

According to Chuck Carlton of the Dallas Morning News, and citing a source close to the program, Goodwin will redshirt the 2011 football season so that he can concentrate on preparing for the world championships as well as train for the Summer Olympics in London — on NBC — next summer.  Both Goodwin and head coach Mack Brown subsequently confirmed Carlton’s initial report.

“To compete in the World Championships and Olympics are dreams of mine, and I’m going to do everything I can to represent them while I’m competing for our country with Team USA,” Goodwin said in a statement. “I’m still going to be around football as much as possible supporting them every step of the way next season and will be ready to go with two years left when I fully return. Until then, I’m looking forward to having a great year with Coach [Bubba] Thornton and my track and field teammates as I try to fulfill my dreams of bringing home gold to the United States and everyone at Texas.”

“We are so proud of Marquise,” Brown said. “What an unbelievable accomplishment to be the U.S. long jump champion and earn a spot in the World Championships, especially at such a young age. Obviously he has established himself as one of the premier long jumpers not only in America, but the world. With the World Championships coming up and the Olympics next August, his focus needs to be on track and field. We’ve talked to him about it, and the plan is that he’ll redshirt in football this fall, remain on football scholarship and put all of his attention on track and field for the next year.”

Goodwin started seven games for the ‘Horns last season, and exited spring practice as the projected starter at one of the receiver spots.  Goodwin’s 31 receptions last season were good for fourth on the team.

‘Canes down three starters for Thursday night game vs. Hokies

MIAMI GARDENS, FL - OCTOBER 17: Brenden Motley #9 of the Virginia Tech Hokies escapes a tackle from Chad Thomas #9 of the Miami Hurricanes during a game  at Sun Life Stadium on October 17, 2015 in Miami Gardens, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)