Brock Berglund

Top 2011 Kansas QB signee charged with assault

The strange odyssey of 2011 Kansas signee Brock Berglund took another odd turn earlier this week, with reports surfacing that the touted quarterback had found himself with a bit of a legal issue in his home state of Colorado. Over three months ago.

According to the KCTV5 in Kansas City, Berglund has been charged with third-degree assault stemming from an April 9th incident. Berglund had allegedly punched an individual who was harassing his girlfriend, leading to a complaint being filed in late June and, ultimately, the misdemeanor charge.

A pretrial conference will be held according to the Lawrence Journal-World, although it’s unclear when that will take place.

The school is aware of the situation involving a player who some view as the future at the QB position as early as this year.

“We are going to let the legal process run its course,” head coach Turner Gill said in a statement. “We will also handle it appropriately internally here at KU.”

Berglund graduated high school early and was an early enrollee this past January, although he has scarcely been seen around the football program or even the campus for months. While that could be attributed to his legal issue, the Journal-World points out that the alleged assault didn’t occur until the Jayhawks were in their sixth day of spring practice.  Also, Gill announced in early March that Berglund would not participate in the spring sessions due to “personal circumstances“, further adding to the confusion of the situation.

Berglund’s previously unexplained absence had prompted rumors that he was reconsidering his decision to sign with Kansas. He attempted to put out that growing fire by telling the Journal-World last week that he’s “100 percent a Jayhawk.”

As a three-star member of KU’s latest recruiting class, Berglund was the No. 15 dual-threat QB in the country according to and the No. 3 player in the state of Colorado. In addition to Kansas, Berglund had offers from myriad schools, including Boise State, Kansas State, Colorado, UCLA and Utah.

Federal fugitive arrested at home of Buffs players following hours-long standoff

BERKELEY, CA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Colorado Buffaloes head coach Mike MacIntyre argues with lines judge Michael Feldman during their game against the California Golden Bears at California Memorial Stadium on September 27, 2014 in Berkeley, California.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)