Penn State might be down another quarterback

Last week at the Big Ten media days, Joe Paterno intimated that Paul Jones would likely not be available for the entire 2011 season due to academic issues.

Today, Penn State’s depth at the quarterback position appears to have taken yet another hit.  Maybe.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Kevin Newsome has decided to leave the football program and will likely transfer.  Penn State, which began summer camp Thursday, has not commented on Newsome’s status with the program.

When reached by phone by the school’s student newspaper, Newsome’s father indicated that a final decision hasn’t been made, but did allow that a transfer is certainly an option.

“We don’t really have any set details of anything right now,” Kevin Newsome Sr. told the Daily Collegian. “It’s possible. Right now, of course as you can imagine, we’re just trying to work through some things, and sort a lot of things out.”

Newsome, the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback in the Class of 2009 according to Rivals.com, did not make the trip with the team to the Outback Bowl late last year, fueling rumors that his time with the program had come to an end.  He did participate in spring practice, although the battle for the starting job essentially centered on Rob Bolden and Matt McGloin.

Given the fact that Jones will likely be unavailable, and if Newsome does ultimately decide to bolt, that would leave the Nittany Lions with just Shane McGregor, a walk-on redshirt junior, behind Bolden and McGloin.

Ohio State OL Matthew Burrell transferring from Buckeyes