The speculation over the past few months and the reports from earlier today regarding Howard Schnellenberger have, unfortunately, come to fruition.
In a scheduled press conference Thursday afternoon, the Florida Atlantic University head coach announced that he will be retiring from coaching at the end of the 2011 season. The 77-year-old Schnellenberger has been a head coach for 29 of the past 32 seasons — Miami of Florida (1979-83); Louisville (1985-94); Oklahoma (1995); and FAU (1998-present, although the program did not play its first game until the 2001 season).
“After looking at the situation, [his wife] Beverlee and I are delighted that the University has welcomed our decision to leave the coaching ranks following the 2011 season,” said Schnellenberger. “We will continue our relationship with the University in the most pronounced way. I feel this will be the most seamless and best way to formulate a transition from coaching to an ambassador for the University. …
“Let me make it quite clear that this does not detract from our avowed goal to providing the best football team this season, one that will challenge for the Sun Belt championship followed by the appropriate bowl appearance.”
Schnellenberger will officially become the school’s first “Ambassador for Development and Athletics”, and will remain involved in aspects of the university both inside and outside of athletics.
“We are all going to miss Coach Schnellenberger’s leadership and vision for FAU football. He has been the architect and builder of the program and has also grown it to great heights,” said Craig Angelos, FAU’s athletic director. “Coach has accomplished many `firsts’ that have created a solid foundation that will always be cherished and remembered for generations to come. Schnellenberger has done so many great things for the football team, athletics and the University. We all owe him a huge debt of gratitude for his 13 years of service. Looking ahead, we are all excited that he will continue his work at the University to continue to raise funds and support for the new on-campus stadium and other university projects.”
Schnellenberger will carry a career mark of 157-140-3 into the final season of his career. Included in that total is the 1983 national title he won with the Hurricanes.
With the Owls, Schnellenberger boasts a 57-63 overall record, including a 22-13 Sun Belt Conference record.
A week after transferring from Oregon State, Cyril Noland-Lewis has found a new home that happens to also double as his hometown.
The Ruston News Star, among others, has reported that Noland-Lewis is transferring into the Louisiana Tech football program. As he is coming to Tech as a graduate transfer, he will be eligible to play for the Bulldogs in 2016, his final season of eligibility.
The defensive back, who went to high school in Ruston, was at the Bulldogs’ practice Tuesday as Tech continues preparations for the season opener Sept. 3 against Arkansas.
Noland-Lewis started 10 games for the Beavers last season. Six of those starts came as a safety, the others as the nickel corner. OSU moved Noland-Lewis to cornerback this offseason, where he ultimately found himself buried on the depth chart in summer camp.
The 6-0, 198-pound fifth-year senior, who began his OSU career as a linebacker, played in a total of 37 games during his time in Corvallis.
It’s not been a good day for a couple of starting quarterbacks at Group of Five programs.
The Las Cruces Sun-News has reported that New Mexico State’s Tyler Rogers turned himself in last Friday on a warrant that had been issued for him Aug. 14. The junior was booked on one count of misdemeanor charge of battery against a household member.
The alleged victim is Rogers’ girlfriend. A verbal altercation at a party allegedly turned physical in a vehicle later on. When police arrived, the woman, who was initially crying, “downplayed the incident and said that it wasn’t really anything and that the altercation did not get physical and didn’t consider Mr. Rogers grabbing her arm as being a physical altercation.”
The woman decided against completing a domestic violence supplement report, and, according to the Sun-News, it’s unclear if the woman is cooperating with police.
“I was very disappointed in hearing the news but we are in the information gathering stage,” NMSU athletic director Mario Moccia said in a statement. “These are allegations that we take very seriously and we look forward to getting as much detail as possible so the university can be informed and the athletic department can make an informed decision moving forward.”
Because “it is a misdemeanor, there isn’t a suspension coming forth right now,” head coach Doug Martin said.
Rogers has started 15 games the past two seasons for the Aggies.
An off-field incident will lead to some on-field attrition, at least for the short-term, for West Virginia.
Starting left guard Adam Pankey (pictured, large player lifting Smallwood) was arrested earlier this month and charged with driving under the influence following a one-car accident. Dana Holgorsen has confirmed that Pankey has been suspended and will remain that way through at least the opener Sept. 3.
“We hold these guys to high expectations,” the head coach said. “When you don’t meet those, there are going to be consequences. He’s currently suspended from the team. That’s disappointing. He will continue his suspension through Missouri, and we’ll address it at that time.”
Pankey has started 25 games the past two seasons. He started 13 at left tackle in 2014, and 12 at left guard in 2015.
Jim Harbaugh had previously confirmed that two of the three Michigan football players not present for a team photo earlier this month — wide receiver Ahmir Mitchell, running back Kareem Walker and defensive lineman Shelton Johnson — had been suspended, although he declined to specify which two. A couple of weeks later, one of those players has apparently exited the program.
On his Twitter account Wednesday afternoon, Mitchell announced that he is “reopening my recruitment to all Universities and football programs.” It’s unclear if the wide receiver has received a release from his UM scholarship.
“I love what U of M had to offer me but, what is best for me and my family comes first,” Mitchell wrote.
A four-star 2016 recruit, Mitchell was rated as the No. 5 player at any position in the state of New Jersey and the No. 167 player overall on 247sports.com‘s composite board. He was an early enrollee who participated in spring practice.,