An investigation into an off-campus bar fight allegedly involving at least four members of the LSU football program could be wrapped up shortly and arrest warrants possibly filed by the end of the week, a Baton Rouge Police Department spokesperson said Monday.
Speaking to Randy Rosetta of TigerSportDigest.com, Doug Stone of the BRPD indicated that the investigation is progressing to the point that arrests may be made this week, although he also cautioned that the probe could bleed into next week as well.
“At the conclusion of the investigation, which could be this week,” Stone told the website when asked when warrants would be issued. “[It] could be a week from now or could be in two weeks. It may come to that.”
It was reported over the weekend that the BRPD wants to interview four LSU players — quarterback Jordan Jefferson, offensive tackle Chris Davenport, linebacker Josh Johns and wide receiver Jarvis Landry — in connection to a bar brawl late last week that ended with four male victims — including one who was reportedly kicked in the head by Jefferson — briefly hospitalized. The four players were originally scheduled to meet with police detectives Monday, but that was rescheduled for Tuesday. A subsequent development indicates that the Tuesday meeting may not take place either.
According to Stone, it doesn’t really matter whether the players come in and speak to the detectives to give their side of the story.
“If the players never come in and talk to us, we will continue our investigation without talking to them,” the spokesman said. “If the evidence support the allegations, warrants will be issued for their arrests and we’ll arrest them whether they come to speak to us or not.”
Stone, who said that charges have already been filed, added that the alleged victims want charges to be pursued against the individuals responsible, and that “[w]e would not be conducting this investigation if somebody didn’t want us to.”
No. 4 LSU will open the season the night of Sept. 3 against No. 3 Oregon. Head coach Les Miles, who called the behavior of his players “unacceptable to me… to our team“, has not indicated whether all, some or none of the players will be available for the opener and beyond.