Louisiana State University Jefferson directs the offense as Texas A&M University Porter prepares for the snap during their NCAA Cotton Bowl football game in Arlington

Police search Jordan Jefferson’s apartment

19 Comments

The latest bit of news to come out of the LSU bar brawl saga surfaced Wednesday, with multiple media outlets reporting that police have executed a search warrant on the residence of one of the football players believed to have been involved in the melee late last week.

According to the Baton Rouge Advocate, detectives from the Baton Rouge Police Department searched the home of starting quarterback Jordan Jefferson in attempt to locate evidence pertaining to the investigation into the off-campus fight that left four people injured.  Jefferson was present during the search, and police officials stated that the QB “gave us 100 percent cooperation.”

WBRZ-TV reports that BRPD officers were seen taking bags of evidence from Jefferson’s apartment.  There’s no word on what evidenced may have been collected.

BRPD spokesperson Don Stone said there are no plans to search the homes of any of the other LSU players involved.  In addition to Jefferson, offensive tackle Chris Davenport, linebacker Josh Johns and wide receiver Jarvis Landry were interviewed by investigators Tuesday morning.

As to the warrant, Stone told Randy Rosetta of TigerSportsDigest.com that “[w]e have gathered enough probable cause to search for information to help either prove or disprove the allegations against [Jefferson].”  Rosetta had previously reported, citing sources close to the football program, that Jefferson was not directly involved with the fight.

Additionally, radio station 1210-AM The Score posted a “video” that purports to be footage of the fight, although it’s just 22 seconds in length and it’s nearly impossible to discern anything that’s going on, other than a man at the end being picked up off the ground after apparently suffering a beat-down.  The Advocate reports that the BRPD is looking into the video and, presumably, the person who shot it from what appears to be a cell phone and who could be a potential witness.

The “video” can be viewed by clicking HERE.

As of this posting, no arrests have been made in connection to the incident.

UPDATED 8:28 p.m. ET: WAFB-TV has added yet another piece to the puzzle as to what the BRPD may have been searching for at Jefferson’s aprartment.

WAFB’s Jim Shannon quotes a police source as saying one of the main items investigators were looking for was a pair of Jefferson’s tennis shoes.  Investigators want to see if the bottom of the shoes match an imprint on the shirt of one of the four people injured in the fight.  The source did not say whether the shoes were located during the search.

It had previously been reported that witnesses alleged Jefferson had kicked one of the victims in the head.

UPDATED 10:21 p.m. ET: According to multiple media outlets, a DNA swab was taken from Jefferson during the execution of the search warrant.

Former K-State S Kaleb Prewett appears headed to Mizzou

MANHATTAN, KS - NOVEMBER 05:  Wide receiver Jay Lee #4 of the Baylor Bears catches a pass as defensive back Kaleb Prewett #4 of the Kansas State Wildcats defends during the game at Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium on November 5, 2015 in Manhattan, Kansas.  (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

In early February, Bill Snyder confirmed that Kaleb Prewett was no longer a member of the Kansas State football team.  Fastforward three months, and it appears the former Big 12 defensive back has found himself a new home at a former former Big 12 school.

While the school has yet to announce it, Prewett’s Twitter profile now indicates that he is a member of the Missouri Tigers. “Former Kansas State safety. Current Mizzou safety,” the bio now reads.

A couple of tweets from the former Missouri high school player seemed to hint at the development as well.

Prewett started eight of the first nine games at free safety, with the only game he missed being due to a concussion. He lost his job for the final three games, however, and then was kept away from K-State’s bowl game because of an alcohol-related arrest.

Prewett, a three-star 2014 recruit, played in six games as a true freshman.

Barring the unforeseen, Prewett will be forced to sit out the 2016 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules. The defensive back would then have two years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2017.

Little-used Vols TE Neiko Creamer to transfer, look elsewhere for playing time

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 6.13.17 PM
Tennessee athletics
Leave a comment

Failing to make much of a dent during his first two-plus years in Knoxville, Neiko Creamer has decided to ply his football wares elsewhere.

Wednesday evening, UT head coach Butch Jones confirmed that Creamer has decided to leave the Volunteers football program and will transfer out.  According to Jones, he and his staff will help the tight end find the right fit at a new home.

No reason was given for Creamer’s decision to look elsewhere, although the opportunity for more playing time would be a good place to start.

A three-star member of UT’s 2014 recruiting class, Creamer, whose father, Andre, played for the Vols in the eighties, was rated as the No. 18 player at any position in the state of Maryland.  After redshirting as a true freshman, and working as both a linebacker and tight end, Creamer played in one game during the 2015 season.

Former Bowling Green lineman settles concussion lawsuit for $700K

DETROIT, MI - DECEMBER 4: The Bowling Green Falcons enters the field prior to the start of the game against the Northern Illinois Huskies on December 4, 2015 during the MAC Championship at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A former Bowling Green football player who claimed he suffered permanent brain damage has settled a lawsuit with the university.

According to the Toledo Blade, Cody Silk will receive a $712,500 settlement in the agreement reached between himself and BGSU.  As part of the agreement, the university did not admit fault and the former offensive lineman agreed that he would not pursue any further damage claims.

Silk had filed his suit in 2013, claiming “that BGSU coaches and medical staff failed to withhold him from practices after he suffered repeated concussions.”  Silk claimed that he had suffered two concussions in 2010, but was cleared by the football program’s medical staff to return to full-contact status in practice; shortly thereafter, he suffered a third concussion.

The lineman subsequently parted ways with the team, lost his scholarship and dropped out of school.

The settlement came after Silk’s attorneys had asked the Ohio Court of Claims to reconsider their initial rejection.  From the Columbus Dispatch:

 The court initially rejected Silk’s claims, finding Silk signed a release of liability to play football in which he assumed the risk of possible injury. He refiled the claim last year. A state attorney claimed Silk was exaggerating and overreporting his symptoms, but the settlement will keep the case from going to trial.

In their motion for reconsideration, Silks’ representation contended, the Blade wrote, “the release [of liability] didn’t cover ‘wanton and willful misconduct,’ which he alleged BGSU’s conduct was.”

Hogs WR Keon Hatcher undergoes second surgery on same foot

FAYETTEVILLE, AR - SEPTEMBER 5:  Keon Harcher #4 of the Arkansas Razorbacks catches a touchdown pass over Kalon Beverly #32 of the UTEP Miners at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium on September 5, 2015 in Fayetteville, Arkansas.  (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

An injury that wiped out most of Keon Hatcher‘s 2015 season has resurfaced.

On social media over the weekend, Hatcher posted a video which revealed his left foot encased in a post-surgery boot.  WholeHogSports.com subsequently confirmed through multiple sources that Hatcher had indeed undergone surgery recently.

The website writes “[i]t’s unclear why Hatcher required the surgery or whether he will miss any practice or playing time because of the surgery.”  The university has thus far declined to address the receiver’s status, although head coach Bret Bielema could be expected to touch on the situation during a post-spring press conference Thursday.

During Arkansas’ Week 2 upset loss to Toledo, Hatcher suffered a broken left foot that at first was expected to sideline him for a minimum of six weeks but, following surgery, ultimately cost him the remainder of the season.

At the time of the injury, Hatcher was the Razorbacks’ leader with 198 receiving yards and two touchdowns.  In 2014, he led the team with 558 yards receiving and six touchdowns.

Hatcher received a medical hardship waiver for the 2015 season, which will allow him to return as a fifth-year senior this season.