PAC-12 (edit 2)_1

Superconference not the direction Pac-12 wants to go

17 Comments

At least not yet. Reportedly.

Even if Bob Stoops thinks that superconferences are the direction toward which the college football world is heading, the Pac-12 appears to be content staying at 12 members barring a major shift in conference realignment, in which case Larry Scott may be more reactive than proactive.

Sources have told Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News that the preference for Pac-12 presidents and chancellors is a a continuation in the conference membership status quo — in other words, for A&M to stay in the Big 12 and for the SEC to remain at 12 members.

That’s likely not going to happen barring some magnificent trip up in the legal process now that A&M is officially looking to withdraw from the conference. Still, that’s for what Pac-12 officials are reportedly keeping their fingers crossed.

From the Mercury News:

“The conference has stability… it has a football championship game … it has the richest TV deal in college sports history … and it has a wholly-owned network(s) to serve its fans, provide unprecedented exposure for its athletes, promote the league’s academic mission — and generate millions of dollars per school annually once it attains maximum distribution.”

But, in the event that the SEC and Big Ten begin plucking schools, expect the Pac-12 to follow with an invite to — at least — Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. The Sooners have expressed an accelerated interest in their long-term conference security over the past week that may or may  not necessarily be tied to Texas’ interests.

“Their bond has frayed,” a source said. “Texas overplayed its hand.”

“The SEC won’t stop at 13, or even 14. And if the SEC is at 14 or 16, the Big Ten will do it,” another source told the Mercury News. ”At that point, (the Pac-12) would be crazy not to entertain the idea of expansion.”

But that doesn’t mean that Texas couldn’t join the Pac-whatever. Now, I know what you’re thinking — “What about the Longhorn Network?” As BusinessofCollegeSports.com explains, Texas’ LHN could morph into one of the of the Pac-12’s regional networks, and seeing how Texas and Texas Tech would likely be a package deal (unless the Pac-whatever wants another school), that means Texas would have to share revenue with the Red Raiders.

Make no mistake, though: any conference would want Texas as part of their conference. That doesn’t mean they’ll cater to Texas’ every desire, but you can bet there would be some compromise.

Unless the Longhorns go independent in football. At which point, congratulations on joining Conference USA (or the ACC as some have speculated?) in all Olympic sports.

Michigan reportedly adds ex-Vikings QBs coach as offensive analyst

scott-turner
Minnesota Vikings
Leave a comment

Jim Harbaugh has added more experience and another “name” to his Michigan football staff.

According to NFL.com‘s Albert Breer, Harbaugh has hired Scott Turner as an offensive analyst.  Harbaugh’s nine-man on-field coaching staff is already full, but Turner could be in line to join that group if/when the NCAA approves a 10th assistant.

Turner, the son of former Washington, Oakland and San Diego head coach Norv Turner, spent the past three seasons as the quarterbacks coach of the Minnesota Vikings.

Turner has spent the past six seasons in the NFL.  His last job at the collegiate level came as the wide receivers coach at Pittsburgh in 2010.

It was previously reported that Harbaugh had, controversially in the eyes of some, hired former NFL offensive coordinator Michael Johnson Sr. to an undetermined off-field position.  Johnson, the father of the top-rated dual-threat quarterback in the Class of 2019, ultimately took an on-field job at Oregon.

Montell Cozart becomes third Kansas QB to leave in two months

NORMAN, OK - OCTOBER 29:  Quarterback Montell Cozart #2 of the Kansas Jayhawks looks to throw against the Oklahoma Sooners October 29, 2016 at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma. The Sooners defeated the Jayhawks 56-3. (Photo by Brett Deering/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

If it wasn’t clear before, it is now — Kansas’ quarterback room will have a decidedly different look this coming season.

On his personal Twitter account Tuesday afternoon, Montell Cozart announced his decision to transfer from the Jayhawks and finish his playing career elsewhere. The quarterback described it as “a tough decision that brought along a lot of prayer, sleepless nights, and meaningful talks with my family.”

Cozart started five games as a true sophomore in 2014, then started three of the first four games of the 2015 season before a shoulder injury ultimately sidelined him for the remainder of the year.  After starting seven games this past season, he lost his job just past the midway point and never got it back.

He received a medical hardship waiver for the 2015 season, giving the graduate another year of eligibility he can use immediately in 2017.

Early last month, Ryan Willis announced his decision to transfer from Kansas to Virginia Tech. Less than four weeks later, Deondre Ford followed his former teammate out the door as well.

Redshirt freshman Carter Stanley took over as the starter for the three last games of the 2016 season and is pencilled in as the starter heading into the offseason. KU also added Peyton Bender, a transfer from Washington State by way of the junior college ranks who’s eligible to play immediately in 2017 and will pose a stiff test for the incumbent.

Virginia confirms addition of Notre Dame transfer John Montelus

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - NOVEMBER 10:  A general view of the game between the Virginia Cavaliers and the Miami Hurricanes at Scott Stadium on November 10, 2012 in Charlottesville, Virginia.  (Photo by Geoff Burke/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two months after deciding to leave Notre Dame, John Montelus officially has a new college football home.

On its official Twitter account Tuesday, Virginia announced that Montelus has signed his grant-in-aid papers with the university and will play his final season for the Cavaliers.  As a graduate transfer, the offensive lineman is eligible to play immediately.

Over his four seasons with the Fighting Irish, Montelus played in just six games. A four-star 2013 recruit, Montelus was rated as the No. 8 guard in the country and the the No. 1 player at any position in the state of Massachusetts.

Montelus is actually one of two Irish linemen joining the Cavaliers as transfers, with Colin McGovern confirming last month that he’ll be doing the same. UVa. has yet to officially announce his addition to the roster.

Starting D-lineman one of two dismissed by Duke

DURHAM, NC - SEPTEMBER 19:  Clayton Thorson #18 of the Northwestern Wildcats tries to get away from Marquies Price #91 of the Duke Blue Devils during their game at Wallace Wade Stadium on September 19, 2015 in Durham, North Carolina.  (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

In the midst of spring practice, Duke has seen its defensive line take a twin hit unrelated to any health issues.

Tuesday afternoon, the football program announced that a pair of sophomore defensive linemen, Brandon Boyce and Marquies Price (pictured), have been dismissed by David Cutcliffe.  Other than failing to meet the standards of a Blue Devil football player, no specific reason for the dismissals were given.

Both had been expected to contribute significantly this coming season.

Price started all 11 games in which he played during the 2016 season, and started 14 in his career.  His six quarterback hurries last year were second on the team.

Boyce played in 21 games during his time with the Blue Devils.  Eight of those appearances came in 2016.

In mid-August, it was announced that Boyce was one of two football players suspended for the first three games of last season.  Unspecified violations of team rules was the only reason given for that punitive measure.