Lost and Confused Signpost

Iowa State, Baylor reportedly offer themselves to Big East

Good thing there aren’t any college football games being played today because the whole college football world seems to be more entrapped in conference realignment.

Which, as unbelievable as it may sound, has now been focused squarely on the ACC and Big East, of all places.

Late last night and into this morning, rumors began circulating that Syracuse and Pittsburgh have been partaking in informal discussions with the ACC, with the latest speculation being that both institutions have reached out to the ACC to apply for conference membership.

A loss of both those schools would absolutely be a huge blow to the Big East, which, as I’d like to remind you again, has spent the past year trying to figure out how to make 1-AA Villanova a 10th member of the league.

But, is the Big East still salvageable even without Syracuse and Pitt? Word on the ESPN street — and it should be noted that is is far from confirmed — is that Iowa State and Baylor have reached out to the Big East if the Big 12 falls apart. Baylor has previously expressed confidence that if the Big 12 were to dissolve, that an invite from the Big East would follow.

Missouri, Kansas State, Kansas and Iowa State were reportedly in talks with the Big East last summer when the first conference realignment apocalypse-that-wasn’t fell through. The popular speculation this time around has been that the Big East would form some sort of, um, “superconference” with the remaining members of the Big 12 — were it to fall apart.

Still, when the Big East weighs its options, losing Pitt and Syracuse is far more damaging that gaining Baylor and Iowa State. If nothing else, and if the rumors of Pitt and Syracuse come to fruition, it shows the former two have no confidence whatsoever in the future and stability of the Big East.

The fact that a Big East official told us the conference was “caught off guard” earlier this morning says it all.

So does this. And this.

In a whirlwind of speculation, one thing is for certain: every institution is marketing themselves to the best of their ability, even if their own conference isn’t reciprocating.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx