Big East presidents vote unanimously to expand

What happens with week with Missouri’s Board of Curators meeting — if they do indeed decided to meet on Tuesday; we’ll know tomorrow — could have a huge affect on the future of the Big East conference as we know it to be right now. Today, Big East officials met, and according to multiple media reports, have unanimously decided to expand to teams who have shown “strong interest” in joining.

Below is a statement released by the conference:

“The presidents voted unanimously to authorize the commissioner to aggressively pursue discussions with a select number of institutions that have indicated a strong interest in joining the Big East Conference. The presidents are also actively considering changes to the conference’s governing bylaws to further solidify the membership.”

Welcome aboard, East Carolina?

It’s been rumored that Navy and Air Force have been in discussions with the Big East to become football-only members, and Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson has all but confirmed the talks between the Falcons and the Big East. It also appears the conference is not looking toward Central Florida or Houston any time soon — much to my own dismay and whining.

Whom the Big East “chooses” is one thing; keeping current members in the conference is another issue entirely. As the latter portion of the statement hints, the Big East could very well hike up exit fees and re-address protocol for schools wishing to leave. Both areas proved to be laughable as Pitt and Syracuse waltzed out to the ACC a few weeks ago.

In fact, about the only thing the Big East has in the way of slowing the bleeding is a 27-month waiting period by which Pitt and Syracuse are expected to abide before departing.

Or, as it’s known around JT’s household, the “child leg clamp”.

How current Big East football members address conference bylaw changes will be interesting (that portion of the statement did not claim to be unanimous). UConn and Rutgers have expressed a desire to leave, and WVU has been connected — accurately or not — to the Big 12 and the SEC.

If the Big 12 expands, their plans could include one or more of the Big East’s football members. TCU, Louisville and West Virginia have all been thrown around the rumor mill as possible candidates depending on the number. Of course, media reports move much faster than actual realignment; an expansion of any kind by the Big 12 could take months.

And you can almost guarantee the Big East will be on shaky ground the entire time.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx