Swofford: ACC to revisit TV with ESPN

Now that Pittsburgh and Syracuse are the newest members of the ACC, the conference has decided to begin the process of revisiting their television deal with ESPN. The current contract, a 12-year deal, $1.86 billion exclusive rights contract for football and men’s basketball, can be renegotiated in the event of expansion.

ACC commissioner John Swofford wouldn’t say how much the new deal would be worth, but the additions of Pitt and Syracuse by 2013 (unless an earlier exit is agreed upon) could place it well above the roughly $155 million annually the conference receives now.

My only goal would be the preference of sooner rather than later,” Swofford told the Associated Press. “We’re negotiating with a current partner that we know well and are already well-engaged with.”

The benefit of expansion is that many conferences, if not just about all, have provisions in their TV rights contracts that allow the two parties to revisit the terms of the agreement if the conference grows. Likewise, a deal can be nullified if a conference loses too many members and/or its attractiveness. This was the issue the Big 12 was facing if Oklahoma and Oklahoma State left for the Pac-12, and why Baylor was refusing to waive their right to litigation when Texas A&M appeared on their way to the SEC in August.

Baylor didn’t have much of a case to prove the departure of A&M would cause the Big 12 to lose its TV contract with ABC/ESPN and FOX, but that’s the danger of losing valuable conference members.

Conference realignment, more than anything, is about long-term financial growth and stability. And, when a conference expands, new members need to provide value — whether in television sets or brand recognition — so it can successfully revisit its TV contract with distributors.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx