Updated: Miles says reports of player drug use are ‘way left of center’

Uh-oh.

Not exactly unfamiliar with off-field issues this year, the top-ranked LSU Tigers could be faced with the most devastating of distractions ahead of their SEC West showdown with Auburn this weekend.

Both Randy Rosetta of TigersSportsDigest.com and the Daily Reveille are reporting that cornerback Tyrann Mathieu and running back Spencer Ware could/will be facing suspensions for Saturday’s game against the Tigers.  The Daily Reveille, the school’s student newspaper, reports that the suspensions would be for failed drug tests.  Rosetta tweets that as many as three LSU starters could be suspended for the game; the identity of the third player was not identified by Rosetta, but the Associated Press is reporting that it is cornerback Tharold Simon.  Simon is listed as the backup to Mathieu on the latest LSU depth chart.

While the one-game suspension is bad enough, the situation could get a lot worse for the Tigers as the student paper writes that the one-game suspensions could turn into multi-game suspensions.  Such a development could place the players’ availability for the huge showdown with Alabama Nov. 5 in jeopardy.

Attempts by CFT to reach the school for comment on the reported development have been unsuccessful.  Head coach Les Miles has a regularly scheduled press conference at 7 p.m. ET Wednesday; we’re assuming these reports will come up during the course of the evening.

The loss of Mathieu and Ware would be a tremendous blow to the Tigers, although more so in two weeks in Tuscaloosa than this weekend in Death Valley.  Mathieu is one of the top defensive players in the country and has been mentioned as a potential Heisman candidate.  Ware leads the team in rushing with 512 yards.

UPDATED 2:59 p.m. ET: A school official who requested his name not be used would neither confirm nor deny to CFT — even off-the-record — that players had been suspended for failing drug tests.  The official said such issues are handled internally and “will be addressed at the proper time by the proper individuals.”

UPDATED 3:42 p.m. ET: “Coach Miles is handling it as an internal issue, within the team and university, but we cannot comment further at this time,” said LSU sports information director Michael Bonnette.

UPDATED 7:31 p.m. ET: In his regularly scheduled press conference, Miles would not directly address the reports that three players have been suspended for failing a drug test, nor confirm the names of those involved, but did say the allegations were “left of center“.

“There’s a process I’ve got to go through and I’m not going to short-cut and once there’s information to share, I will,” Miles said. “It’s not information I’m going to respond to. I think this is the right way to go.

“I expect my team to take the field ably manned.”

SEC leads NFL Draft for 11th straight year as Alabama and Michigan set school records

Brandon Wade/AP Images for NFLPA

The 2017 NFL Draft has come and gone, and once again it is the SEC claiming another NFL Draft national championship. A grand total of 53 players from the SEC were drafted by NFL teams. It is the 11th straight year the SEC has had the most players drafted by NFL teams.

The ACC ended the draft with 42 players drafted, followed by the Pac-12 (36) and Big Ten (35). The Big 12 ended the draft with just 14 players drafted.

Helping to contribute to the SEC’s NFL Draft total was Alabama setting a school record with 10 players drafted.

Alabama’s nine players drafted in the first 80 picks was also a new Alabama record.

Michigan ended up having more players drafted than any other Big Ten team, slipping past Ohio State by the time the draft closed up shop this year. For the Wolverines, 11 players ended up being drafted. The previous school record for draft picks was 10, set in 1972 and tied in 1974. Head coach Jim Harbaugh will get plenty of the praise for developing that many players getting a chance to be drafted, but Brady Hoke should be recognized for recruiting those players as well (and blamed for not developing the talent he brought in).

Air Force changes rules for football players with NFL aspirations

AP Photo/The Colorado Springs Gazette, Michael Ciaglo

One of the top players from Air Force was ineligible to be drafted by the NFL this weekend, and it had nothing to do with NFL rules. It also had nothing to do with NFL teams backing away from a particular player due to off-field concerns. Instead, a policy at Air Force is what is to blame for wide receiver Jalen Robinette not moving on to the NFL at this time.

The U.S. Air Force will not approve requests from academy graduates to defer their two years of active duty in order to be allowed to play professional football. Just a year ago, the Department of Defense changed the policy to allow for the possibility, which made it possible for Navy quarterback Keenan Reynolds to be allowed to play. Reynolds later joined the Baltimore Ravens. Reynolds had received a recommendation to be allowed to play by the U.S. Naval Academy.

“The Air Force notified academy leaders [Thursday] that the service would not approve requests to waiver active duty military commitments for cadet athletes,” a statement from Air Force read. “Cadets will be required to serve two years active duty prior to entering Ready Reserve, which would allow their participation in professional sports. The Air Force places tremendous value on our cadet athletes and their contributions to the nation as we continue to build leaders of character, engage in combat operations overseas and continue to ensure our highest military readiness at home.”

Because of the policy change and confirmation, Robinette was not able to be drafted. He may still have been a long shot to be drafted by an NFL Team, but the policy also means he is unable to be signed as an undrafted free agent as well.

Rawleigh Williams carted off at Arkansas scrimmage

AP Photo/Chris Brashers