Jaamal Berry, Chad Sherer, Kevin Bush

Buckeye RB named in another assault

For the second time in less than a month, the name of Ohio State running back Jaamal Berry has come up in connection to an assault.

According to The Lantern, OSU’s student newspaper, a 21-year-old male was assaulted very early Friday morning.  The alleged victim said in the police report that Berry had struck him in the face with a closed fist.

Here’s the paper’s account of what transpired:

Berry, a redshirt sophomore running back, was with another African-American male and was allegedly yelling at the victim and his friend, after the victim was struck by a car. The victim, who The Lantern has chosen not to name at this time, said that Berry and his friend were yelling vulgar remarks at him. After asking why they were yelling, the victim said that Berry crossed the street and punched his friend, and then punched him in the face with a closed fist.

No charges have been filed, but the Buckeyes are aware of the incident and the redshirt sophomore would face suspension if he’s charged.

“We have not been informed by anyone else that charges have been filed,” Smith told The Lantern. “If Jaamal is charged, he will be suspended pending the outcome of the case.”

Berry was treated and released from a local hospital following an incident Sept. 28 that was described by police initially as an assault. Berry, however, claimed that he was merely wrestling with the unnamed individual, but was briefly hospitalized after reportedly being disoriented and confused at the scene of the first incident.

No charges have been filed in that case as well.

Berry has rushed for just five yards on two carries this season.

Starting LB C.J. Johnson reveals surgery on social media, Ole Miss confirms