Buckeye RB named in another assault

Jaamal Berry, Chad Sherer, Kevin Bush AP

For the second time in less than a month, the name of Ohio State running back Jaamal Berry has come up in connection to an assault.

According to The Lantern, OSU’s student newspaper, a 21-year-old male was assaulted very early Friday morning.  The alleged victim said in the police report that Berry had struck him in the face with a closed fist.

Here’s the paper’s account of what transpired:

Berry, a redshirt sophomore running back, was with another African-American male and was allegedly yelling at the victim and his friend, after the victim was struck by a car. The victim, who The Lantern has chosen not to name at this time, said that Berry and his friend were yelling vulgar remarks at him. After asking why they were yelling, the victim said that Berry crossed the street and punched his friend, and then punched him in the face with a closed fist.

No charges have been filed, but the Buckeyes are aware of the incident and the redshirt sophomore would face suspension if he’s charged.

“We have not been informed by anyone else that charges have been filed,” Smith told The Lantern. “If Jaamal is charged, he will be suspended pending the outcome of the case.”

Berry was treated and released from a local hospital following an incident Sept. 28 that was described by police initially as an assault. Berry, however, claimed that he was merely wrestling with the unnamed individual, but was briefly hospitalized after reportedly being disoriented and confused at the scene of the first incident.

No charges have been filed in that case as well.

Berry has rushed for just five yards on two carries this season.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Big Ten Conference, Ohio State Buckeyes, Rumor Mill, Top Posts
12 Responses to “Buckeye RB named in another assault”
  1. rowbear says: Oct 24, 2011 3:46 PM

Just suspend him. If you keep putting yourself in positions like this, you should be suspended.

2. bigd88 says: Oct 24, 2011 3:55 PM

Oh boy…

3. BrownsTown says: Oct 24, 2011 4:03 PM

WTH!?! I’m not that offended by some of the benefit scandals, but this can’t be tolerated. Later, dude.

4. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Oct 24, 2011 4:18 PM

Maybe instead of Mizzou, the SEC should get tOSU to be it’s 14th team. Afterall, according to tOSU fans, this is all that happens at SEC schools. They’ll fit right in. P.S., holier-than-thou crowd, idiots like this are at every school.

5. dryzzt23 says: Oct 24, 2011 4:18 PM

What a waste of a perfectly good scholarship.

I don’t care if berry is “disadvantaged”, came from a single-parent home, whatever. The kid is trouble and tOSU has no reason to keep him around.

He has a his golden opportunity (s) and he blew them all, he had a choice and he decided to be a miscreant rather than a productive and educated athlete.

6. brutusbuckeye2011 says: Oct 24, 2011 4:35 PM

Fickell needs to clean house and get rid of a bunch of spoiled brats who do nothing but make trouble. Forget about suspensions. Dismiss Berry, Posey and anybody else who is a problem child.

7. steelersandladyboysfan says: Oct 24, 2011 5:31 PM

Kid had a felony drug arrest in high school, he never should have been offered a scholarship to begin with.

8. joshuavkidd says: Oct 24, 2011 7:44 PM

You stay classy OSU

9. stuartscottsgooglyeye says: Oct 24, 2011 8:10 PM

So who was driving the car that struck the victim? I’m confused.

10. stephr78 says: Oct 25, 2011 10:22 AM

This is the 2nd time in a month!! I’m sorry, but he should be GONE, no questions asked. Getting into trouble one time…ok, maybe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but when he continually puts himself into situations like this, he’s got to go. Immediately.

11. goblue714 says: Oct 25, 2011 8:53 PM

suspended? at OSU that gets you the starting position. Are we really surprised programs like OSU and MSU keep players like this? hey beat michigan and you can do whatever you want.

12. vabuckeye says: Oct 26, 2011 7:25 AM

Typical UM fan response. They think their program is above all this. Just read the headlines from the past six months. Not so squeaky clean Mr Goblue.