Head of Second Mile organization steps down

Another person connected to former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky has stepped down from their position in the wake of child-sex charges against Sandusky.

Jack Raykovitz, a practicing psychologist and Executive Director of Sandusky’s charity, Second Mile, has resigned according to the organization’s website.

“Both Dr. Raykovitz and the Board believe this is in the best interests of the organization,” the statement said. “David Woodle, the current Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors, will now be responsible.

“Although the allegations against Jerry Sandusky and the alleged incidents occurred outside Second Mile programs and events, this does not change the fact that the alleged sexual abuse involved Second Mile program children, nor does it lessen the terrible impact of sexual abuse on its victims.”

Raykovitz’s decision came as the organization begins its internal investigation to assess policies and make recommendations regarding future operations. Second Mile is also consulting with their legal counsel. The charity’s board said the internal review should conclude by the end of next month.

Raykovitz, who testified before the grand jury who indicted Sandusky, noted in a statement “that my resignation brings with it the beginning of that restoration of faith in the community of volunteers and staff that, along with the children and families we serve, are The Second Mile.”

That grand jury indictment says Penn State athletic director Tim Curley told Raykovitz of the “conduct reported to him” about the 2002 incident involving “Victim 2” and that he informed Raykovitz that Sandusky was prohibited from bringing children on to the PSU campus; Raykovitz said in a statement last week that he was notified only that a Penn State employee was “uncomfortable” seeing Sandusky in the shower with a young boy. However, it was only in 2008 when Sandusky informed TSM board of an investigation against him that the organization barred him from activities involving children, according to charity officials.

Tax records also show that Sandusky received annual payments of $57,000 in “consulting fees” from 2001-08 from TSM.

TSM has come under scrutiny from Pennsylvania Gov. and former Attorney General Tom Corbett, who says authorities should investigate Second Mile’s response to the allegations against Sandusky.

Sandusky founded the charity in 1977 to help underprivileged children in Pennsylvania.