Skip to content

Gov. Corbett approved $3 million grant to Second Mile

Pennsylvania Governor Corbett makes remarks during a news conference with a group of Penn State students at the Nittany Lion Inn in State College Pennsylvania Reuters

So, the plot thickens.  And, at least as far as the sniff test goes, gets significantly worse.

After taking office in January of this year, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett approved a $3 million grant for The Second Mile, a children’s charity founded by Jerry Sandusky in 1977 and was, based on the grand jury’s presentment, utilized by Sandusky as a recruiting tool for multiple victims.

Corbett was the state’s attorney general when his office began the investigation into allegations that Sandusky had sexually abused young boys, so he was well aware of both Second Mile and Sandusky’s role in that organization.  It should be noted that, after becoming aware of the investigation the year it started, Sandusky was barred by the charity from having contact with children and, in 2010, retired from the charity.

Corbett has been highly critical of several individuals involved in the scandal at Penn State, including Mike McQueary, for their handling of the allegations, as well as speaking in general terms that “we must keep in mind that when it comes to the safety of children, there can be no margin of error, no hesitation to act.”  However, he has come under increasing scrutiny himself for the pace of his former office’s investigation into Sandusky.

Now, he will likely come under additional scrutiny for the grant, which was originally approved by Corbett’s predecessor but was not completed by the time Ed Rendell left office.  Following a review by Corbett’s office, the $3 million grant was approved in July.

No funds have been disbursed to the charity, and the grant is currently on hold, a Corbett spokesperson told the Post-Gazette.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Big Ten Conference, Penn State Nittany Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Posts
7 Responses to “Gov. Corbett approved $3 million grant to Second Mile”
  1. dutchman1350 says: Nov 16, 2011 12:03 PM

    a two-faced slimy politician? Now I’ve seen it all.

  2. harleyspoon says: Nov 16, 2011 12:09 PM

    I am sure Second Mile can use the money and I am glad they will get it…but if this isn’t political pandering at it worse, nothing is….Corbett’s ass is in a political crack and he uses these kids to pull his ass out of the political crack…I call that crass exploitation of kids…He could have raised the money privately and made sure Second Mile got it anonymously..But no…He wants to be the hero…What a screw-head…I hope Pennsylvania voters don’t buy this disgusting pandering….

  3. bcb1999 says: Nov 16, 2011 12:11 PM

    Well, wait…Sandusky no longer had any contact with the kids and retired from this charity last year. So, the group getting a grant this year would seem to be kosher, assuming the organization itself was not at fault in this matter (which, I suppose, remains to be seen).

    If it can be proven that people within The Second Mile knew of, and turned a blind eye towards, Sandusky’s activities, then this grant, of course, has to be cancelled and those persons prosecuted. I have not yet heard or read anything to that effect, however.

  4. jhumbe says: Nov 16, 2011 12:16 PM

    There is no way that the state can be trusted to investigate this any more. Get the Feds in there ASAP so we can be sure that justice is served.

    The fox has been watching over this hen house much too long.

  5. infectorman says: Nov 16, 2011 1:07 PM

    Someday, someone will come up with an idea that enables us to separate politicians from the processes in which they can extort funds, favor, influence power and personal gain from their bag of tricks. THEN, lets see how many career policians we have in this country, provided we still have a country…

  6. CJ says: Nov 16, 2011 3:40 PM

    bcb1999,

    The head of Second Mile resigned the other day due to reports he was notified of Sandusky’s behavior at least to some degree. His excuse was that he was only told people at PSU “weren’t comfortable with Sandusky showering with young boys”.

    I think that satisfies your disclaimer.

  7. thridandlong says: Nov 16, 2011 7:39 PM

    Have you ever looked at someone and thought it would have been better if they were swallowed !

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!