Louis  Freeh, Ken Frazier

Ex-FBI director Freeh named to Penn State investigation

12 Comments

Nearly two weeks after announcing a complete investigation into the policies and actions — or inaction as the case may be — in place at Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child-sex abuse scandal, details into just who will be a part of that probe began to emerge Monday.

The school’s board of trustees announced this morning that former FBI director Louis Freeh will be a part of the special investigative committee that will attempt to answer several questions that have arisen in the past two-plus weeks, including the university’s response to allegations at least some officials had become aware of as far back as 1998 involving Sandusky and the sexual abuse of minors.  Freeh said during today’s press conference that the scope of the investigation will reach back even further, with the committee looking into activities that go as far back as the mid-seventies.

Sandusky, the former Nittany Lions defensive coordinator, was indicted by a grand jury earlier this month on 40 counts related to the sexual abuse and rape of eight boys.  Joe Paterno and Graham Spanier have already lost their long-time jobs as head coach and president, respectively, while athletic director Tim Curley is on paid administrative leave after being arrested on charges connected to the Sandusky case.

On Nov. 8, the trustees announced that the special committee had been “commissioned to determine what failures occurred, who is responsible and what measures are necessary to insure that this never happens at our University again and that those responsible are held fully accountable.”

The 61-year-old Freeh served as the director of the FBI from 1993 through 2001.  In May of this year, he was hired as an independent investigator into the bribery scandal that rocked international soccer body FIFA.

In addition to Freeh, former astronaut and Penn State graduate Guion Bluford was named to the panel.

Houston adds Colorado’s fourth-leading 2015 rusher to roster

BOULDER, CO - NOVEMBER 13:  Running back Patrick Carr #1 of the Colorado Buffaloes runs for a first down past linebacker Porter Gustin #45 of the USC Trojans and defensive tackle Delvon Simmons #52 during the third quarter at Folsom Field on November 13, 2015 in Boulder, Colorado. The Trojans defeated the Buffaloes 27-24. (Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images)
Getty IMages
Leave a comment

In early July, Patrick Carr opted to transfer from Colorado.  Nearly two months later, he has a new college football home.

According to Joseph Duarte of the Houston Chronicle, Carr has been added to Houston’s roster.  The running back, at least for the 2016 season, will be a walk-on to the program.

Carr will also spend this season on the sidelines as he will be forced to sit out the season to satisfy NCAA transfer bylaws,.  Then, beginning in 2017, he’ll have three years of eligibility to use the next three seasons.

A three-star 2015 signee, Carr was rated as the No. 49 back in the country by 247sports.com.

As a true freshman last season, Carr was fourth on the Buffaloes with 272 yards rushing on 66 carries.  He also added 52 yards on five receptions.

A statement from CU head coach Mike MacIntyre at the time of his transfer said that “Patrick is a fine young man who needs to move closer to home back in Texas for family reasons.” He was the No. 84 player at any position in the state of Texas coming out of The Woodlands.

Cory Butler-Byrd ‘partially reinstated’ by Utah

SALT LAKE CITY, UT - OCTOBER 10: Wide receiver Trevor Davis #9 of the California Golden Bears catches a touchdown pass in front of Cory Butler-Byrd #16 of the Utah Utes during their game at Rice-Eccles Stadium on October 10, 2015 in Salt Lake City, Utah. (Photo by Gene Sweeney Jr./Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

And Cory Butler-Byrd‘s trek out of Kyle Whittingham‘s doghouse has officially commenced in earnest.

Monday, the Utah wide receiver pleaded guilty as part of a plea deal in connection to an incident last month in which he allegedly damaged police property.  The criminal mischief charge will be dismissed if he, among other stipulations, stays clean for the next year.

Butler-Byrd had been indefinitely suspended from the program since the initial incident.  Tuesday, the football program announced in a press release that “Whittingham has reinstated Cory Butler-Byrd to the team for practice and other team activities, effective immediately.”  However, he remains indefinitely suspended from participating in games.

“There is no timetable for his potential return to competition and he will not be available to the media for comment this season,” the release added.

After transferring to the Utes from the junior college ranks, Butler-Byrd began his FBS career as a cornerback.  He began the transition to receiver during the 2015 season, then exited spring practice this year as the starter as a slot receiver for the Utes.

Butler-Byrd started five games last season as a corner/receiver (three at CB, two at WR), intercepting three passes and catching one pass for a 54-yard touchdown.  He also returned eight kicks for 233 yards and a touchdown.

Raymon Minor reverses transfer course, returns to Virginia Tech

ATLANTA - SEPTEMBER 05:   A cheerleader runs a flag for the Virginia Tech Hokies across the field against the Alabama Crimson Tide during the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game at Georgia Dome on September 5, 2009 in Atlanta, Georgia.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

In mid-August, Virginia Tech announced that Raymon Minor had decided to leave first-year head coach Justin Fuente‘s Hokies football program and transfer elsewhere.  Exactly 11 days later?

Tuesday, Fuente confirmed that Minor has returned to the team and will play for the Hokies in 2016.  The linebacker won’t be returning on scholarship; rather, he’ll continue his career in Blacksburg as a walk-on.

It’s not clear what the impetus was for Minor’s change of heart.

247Sports.com had Minor rated as a four-star prospect in the Class of 2014, with the recruiting website putting him as the No. 19 athlete in the country and the No. 9 player at any position in the state of Virginia.  The only recruits rated higher than Minor in the Hokies’ class that year were safety Holland Fisher and running back Shai McKenzie.

After redshirting as a true freshman, Minor played in eight games last season.

PHOTOS: Nebraska unveils new chrome alternative uniforms

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 3.42.59 PM
Nebraska athletics
3 Comments

Personally, I think Nebraska’s plain, simple, traditional uniforms were among the best in all of sports but alas, I’m not the target audience.  Nor have I been for 20-plus years.

Regardless, NU’s target audience is likely pleased this afternoon as the Cornhuskers, along with apparel supplier adidas, unveiled Tuesday what is being called Husker Chrome alternate uniforms.  The release states that the new uniforms are “inspired by the city of Lincoln, Nebraska, also know as the “Star City,” and “blend crisp, modernized design with a tribute to Nebraska’s clean, classic signature look.”

Translation: “we’re hoping these appeal to recruits and current players as well as our extremely loyal and rabid fan base.”

The helmets, for what it’s worth, aren’t really that bad. At all.  From the release:

As a tribute to the traditional aesthetic of the Cornhuskers football program, the helmet features a metallic red “N” logo on the sides and is accented with player numbers featured in metallic red and metallic chrome outlining on the back of the helmet, showcasing the Star City’s ability to shine.

The new uniforms, which you can see below, will make their debut for the Sept. 24 game against Northwestern in Lincoln.

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 3.43.48 PM

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 3.44.37 PM

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 3.47.54 PM

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 3.44.15 PM