Updated: Report says Meyer to take OSU job amid denials from Meyer himself

40 Comments

Another day, another Urban Meyer denial.  And, honestly, we’d expect nothing less.

For the umpteenth time in the past week or so, a media outlet has reported that the former Florida coach has agreed to become Ohio State’s next head coach.  This time it’s Orlando television station WKMG doing the honors, reporting that Meyer has agreed to a seven-year, $40 million contract — previous reports had the number pegged at $35 million over the same number of years, so Meyer has apparently earned a raise before ever coaching a game in Columbus — and will be introduced as Jim Tressel‘s permanent replacement in the coming days.

The report goes on to state that Meyer “will bring several current UF assistant coaches with him to Columbus, including D.J. Durkin, the Gators’ linebackers coach, who will be the OSU defensive coordinator”.  Previous reports had suggested that interim head coach Luke Fickell would stay on as Meyer’s coordinator; the TV station says that Fickell will stay on Meyer’s staff as an assistant.  Additionally, UF strength coach Mickey Marotti is expected to become OSU’s Director of Football Operations, the station reported.

One source with knowledge of the situation told CFT earlier this week that while it’s not a signed, sealed and delivered deal — still — it will be in short order and that an official announcement will come next week.  Meyer, as he’s done on at least a couple of occasions over the past couple of weeks, has denied reports that he has landed the job, but did so in an open-ended statement that’s very much open to interpretation.

I have not been offered any job nor is there a deal in place. I plan on spending Thanksgiving with my family and will not comment on this any further,” Meyer said in his latest statement.

(Translation: let my family and I enjoy the holiday before I jump headfirst back into the coaching game.  Thanks in advance. Urbz)

Meyer can deny the reports and speculation all he wants, but one thing has become crystal clear: barring an unexpected development, the Ohio-born coach will become the next head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes at some point in the not-too-distant future, likely, as we’ve noted previously, before the calendar flips from November to December.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

UPDATED 12:05 p.m. ET: The conflicting reports keep rolling in. The Columbus Dispatch is reporting via “two well-placed sources at Ohio State” that Meyer will be announced as the new head coach at tOSU sometime next week. The details of Meyer’s supposed contract haven’t been decided upon yet.

Ex-USC DL Noah Jefferson won’t be transferring to Arizona after all

USC athletics
Leave a comment

In early March, Noah Jefferson announced on Twitter that he would be transferring from USC to Arizona.  Nearly five months later?

Never mind.

Wednesday, UA head coach Rich Rodriguez announced that Jefferson will not, as previously expected, be playing for the Wildcats this season.  No reason for the abrupt and unexpected about-face was given.

The coach did, though, intimate that a future pairing between the player and the program isn’t out of the question.

Jefferson wouldn’t have been eligible to play in 2017 for the Wildcats even if his move to the desert had come to fruition. He would’ve, though, had two years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2018 at his disposal.

A four-star member of USC’s 2015 recruiting class, Jefferson played in 14 games, starting one of those, as a true freshman. After starting the season-opening loss to Alabama last season, Jefferson never played another down for USC.

Hugh Freeze makes first public comments since exiting Ole Miss in disgrace

Associated Press
2 Comments

For the first time since his unceremonious exit from Ole Miss, Hugh Freeze has spoken publicly.  Somewhat.

In what was described as a brief interview with USA Today Sports Wednesday, the former Ole Miss head coach said his family and church have helped him get through the storm of the last few days. When asked if his family was standing by him, Freeze responded, “Oh, gosh, yeah.”

“God is good, even in difficult times,’’ Freeze told the website. “Wonderful wife and family, and that’s my priority.”

“I got some good friends,” the former head coach added.

The stunning news dropped last Thursday night that Freeze’s tenure as the head coach at Ole Miss had come to an end because of at least one call from his university-issued cell phone to a known escort service.  While Freeze blamed the call on a misdial, the administration found a “pattern of misconduct” during a deep dive into his phone records, leading the school to confront the coach about the situation.

After meetings with Freeze Wednesday night and then again Thursday morning, it became apparent that, if he didn’t resign, the school was going to fire him.

Because of a moral turpitude clause in his contract, there was neither a buyout nor a settlement.

Five-star 2017 Auburn signee undergoes ‘minor procedure,’ should be a go for start of summer camp

Getty Images
1 Comment

It appears Auburn has dodged what could’ve been a significant injury bullet.

Citing a person familiar with the situation, Brandon Marcello of the Auburn arm of 247Sports.com is reporting that Calvin Ashley underwent a procedure on one of his eyes recently.  SECCountry.com described it as “a minor procedure”; both websites stated that the touted offensive tackle will be ready for the start of summer camp on July 31, this coming Monday.

The reports come a few days after Ashley posted a picture on social media of what appeared to be him in a hospital room.

The football program has not yet, at least publicly, addressed what if any type of health issue with which Ashley is dealing.

A five-star member of the Tigers’ 2017 recruiting class, Ashley was rated as the No. 6 tackle in the country; the No. 1 player at any position in Washington D.C.; and the No. 27 player overall on 247Sports.com‘s composite board.  Ashley was the highest-rated player in AU’s class this year, the only five-star recruit pulled in by Gus Malzahn and company this cycle.

The 6-6, 310-pound Ashley is expected to compete immediately for the starting job at left tackle.

USC the media’s choice to win 2017 Pac-12 title

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thanks to how they finished the 2016 season, USC is getting substantial preseason love heading into the 2017 season.  Not surprisingly, that affection continued Wednesday.

At the Pac-12 Media Days Wednesday, 28 of the 52 media members covering the conference picked USC to win the league’s title this season.  Another 22 picked reigning champion Washington to defend its title, while there was one vote each for Oregon and Utah.

Both USC and UW received 49 first-place votes when it comes to winning the South and North divisions, respectively.  Oregon, Stanford and Washington State received one first-place vote each to win the North Division, while Colorado, UCLA and Utah received the same for the South crown.

Also of note from the opening of media days:

  • The Pac-12 Championship Game will remain at Levi’s Stadium through the 2019 season, with an option for 2020 as well.  The home of the San Francisco 49ers has been the venue for the conference’s last two title games.  New NFL stadiums in Inglewood and Las Vegas will be options beyond that.
  • Halftime of games broadcasted on Pac-12 Networks will be reduced from 20 minutes to 15.  In an attempt to further shorten the length of games, commercial breaks during those games will be reduced as well. “We are trying to be progressive and experiment with ways to manage the game presentation through a reduction of TV timeouts and some of the 30-second commercial spots,” commissioner Larry Scott said as the league targets three hours as the ideal game time.
  • The conference has centralized its replay reviews for all 12 teams this season after experimenting with centralization for two teams in 2016.