Neil Callaway ‘resigns’ as UAB head coach

It’s been a bad couple of months for the UAB football program both on and off the field.  Not only were the Blazers in the midst of of a three-win season, plans to build a $75 million on-campus stadium were nixed earlier this year as well.

On top of that, now the program will be in the midst of a coaching search — conducted with the hope that potential candidates can look past all the issues that come with the job, stadium and otherwise.

In a release, UAB announced that Neil Callaway had “resigned” as the Blazers’ coach.  Reports Sunday indicated that Callaway had been fired, although the official explanation will be that it was mutually agreed that his football tenure would not be extended.

“I met with Coach Callaway earlier today and we mutually agreed that his tenure as our football coach will not be extended,” said athletic director Brian Mackin in a statement. “I want to thank Neil for his service during his five years as head coach of our football program. There have been many positives attained in his time as head coach, especially the improvement in our APR scores and overall academic success the past several years.

“However, we have not experienced the level of success on the field that we all desire and expect for this program.”

During five seasons at the school, Callaway compiled an 18-42 record, including 3-9 this season.

“I really appreciate the opportunity to be a head coach,” Callaway told ESPN.com. “I appreciate the players and coaches for all their hard work. I wish we would have won more ballgames, but under the circumstances, I think we did a pretty good job.”

Callaway becomes the fifth head coach to be fired/”resign” since Saturday, and the 12th to be either dismissed or retire or “resign” since the start of the 2011 season.  The Blazers are the third Conference USA school to make a change, joining Memphis this weekend and Tulane earlier in the year.

For a look at all of the coaching carousel tumult, click HERE.