Skip to content

Brehaut suspended, three other Bruins ineligible for bowl

San Jose State v UCLA Getty Images

Richard Brehaut started a handful of games at quarterback for UCLA in the first half the 2011 season.  Now he, along with three other teammates, will spend the final week of the season while the remainder of the Bruins go bowling.

In a release, UCLA announced that Brehaut has been suspended for the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl game versus Illinois, while senior safety Tony Dye, redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Alberto Cid and redshirt sophomore linebacker Isaiah Bowens have been declared academically ineligible.

None of the players traveled with the team to San Francisco as the Bruins began preparations for their postseason game.

“All four of these student-athletes are disappointed that they will miss the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, but they all understand that they have let their teammates and the program down and that there are consequences for their actions,” interim head coach Mike Johnson said.

Three of the four players who will miss the game had started contests this season — Brehaut, four; Dye, four; and Cid, five.  Prior to suffering a neck injury earlier in the year, Dye had started 28 straight games for the Bruins.

Permalink 2 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pac-12 Conference, Rumor Mill, Top Posts, UCLA Bruins
2 Responses to “Brehaut suspended, three other Bruins ineligible for bowl”
  1. woebegong says: Dec 22, 2011 7:47 AM

    Welcome to the big times Jim Mora. Ricky the man, is leaving you a nice little present. Merry Christmas.

  2. wgward says: Dec 22, 2011 1:39 PM

    Brings to mind Lombardi’s dictum about if you cheat in practice, you will cheat in the game, cheat in life, etc.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!