Gators, Tide battling for Boise coordinator

Florida hasn’t had very many big SEC wins the past two seasons on the field, but they may have just earned a significant one off of it.  Maybe.

Rumors came to light earlier Friday that Florida and Alabama were competing for the services of Boise State offensive coordinator Brent Pease.  According to the Idaho Statesman, Pease has decided to leave the Broncos and is considering job offers from Florida and Alabama.  The Statesman writes that Florida is considered the favorite to land Pease.

Pat Dooley of the Gainesville Sun subsequently tweeted that it “[l]ooks like Brent Pease [is the] new Florida OC“, although UF head coach Will Muschamp texted Dooley “nothing done” on the coordinator front shortly thereafter.

None of the schools involved in the Pease speculation have announced or confirmed any move/hiring.

If the reports are accurate, this would actually mark the second time Pease has left Boise in a little over a year.  In late December of 2010, Pease, then BSU’s wide receivers coach, was hired as Indiana’s coordinator.  Less than two weeks later, after OC Bryan Harsin left for the same job at Texas, Pease left the Hoosiers to come back to the Broncos as the coordinator.

The 47-year-old Pease has been a member of Chris Petersen‘s coaching staff since 2006, and has previously been a coordinator at Baylor and Kentucky.   The Statesman notes that receivers coach Robert Prince is expected to replace Pease.

UPDATED 4:49 p.m. ET: According to Dooley, Pease is in Gainesville today speaking with Muschamp, and will head to Tuscaloosa on Tuesday — the day after the BcS title game — to speak to Nick Saban.