Rumored since late last week, the long-time anchor of Wisconsin’s offensive line officially announced that he’s played his final game in a Badgers uniform.
In a press release issued Tuesday morning, center Peter Konz confirmed that he will forgo his senior season at UW and enter his name into the April draft.
“As you’ve probably heard, I have decided to forgo my senior season and enter the NFL draft,” Konz said. “Because of the support I have received, the degree I am so proud to leave with, the football legacy I helped leave behind, and more reasons than I could even remember, I would simply like to say thank you. Every last person has made my experience at Wisconsin far beyond what I could have imagined and without you I could never be where I am today.”
A Rimington finalist, first-team All-Big Ten and first-team All-American by the American Football Coaches’ Association (AFCA) in 2011, Konz started 31 games the past three seasons for the Badgers.
Konz is projected to be selected at some point before the end of the second round.
“I knew when we received the information back from the NFL that Pete would have a tough decision ahead of him,” head coach Bret Bielema said in a statement. “He has been one of the most enjoyable players I have had the pleasure to coach. I know being a Badger meant the world to him and his family. I want to thank him not only for all his hard work and effort on the field but for also representing our program and the University of Wisconsin in a first-class manner throughout his career.”