Last month, Boston College announced that Ifeanyi Momah was one of several players who had been granted a medical hardship waiver from the ACC, and that the school would submit a request to the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility.
For whatever reason, that process didn’t go as expected.
Head coach Frank Spaziani confirmed to the Boston Globe that the NCAA last week denied the wide receiver’s appeal. It’s unclear why the appeal was rejected, with the confusion leading to a head coach very agitated over the process.
“If any kid deserves a chance to get to the next level, it is him,” Spaziani told the Globe. “I don’t care if he gets another year and plays some place else. He deserves a chance to play out his career as far as he can take it.”
From the outside looking in, the decision to grant a sixth year would appear to be a no-brainer. Momah played just one game in 2011, suffering a season-ending injury in an opener that saw him catch eight passes for 157 yards. Additionally, he took a redshirt in 2009 and did not play due to injury.
Normally when a player loses two seasons to injury, a sixth year is automatically granted. For instance, Purdue quarterback Robert Marve was granted a sixth year last week after losing two seasons to injury. What makes Momah’s situation different from Marve’s is unknown.
It’s also unknown when the NCAA will rule on the school’s appeal of their head-scratching decision.
Colorado had already lost one starting inside linebacker to injury. Now, the Buffs have lost another.
Kenneth Olugbode sustained an unspecified leg injury in the Week 5 loss to Oregon. As a result, Olugbode will miss 4-6 weeks.
At minimum, Olugbode will miss games against Arizona State, Arizona, Oregon State and UCLA, possibly returning for the Nov. 7 game against Stanford. Missing six weeks would see him miss the Stanford and USC games, returning, Nov. 21 vs. Washington State.
“It’s going to be a big loss,” defensive tackle Justin Solis said according to the Denver Post. “It starts up front with us, the D-line. Not having K.O. out there is a huge loss, but it’s definitely something we accept as a challenge as a D-line. We’re going to step it up while he’s out.”
Olugbode had started all five games this season after starting all 12 games as a sophomore last season. Ryan Severson is expected to take his place in the starting lineup.
Back on September 10, it was announced that Jim Harbaugh had dismissed Logan Tuley-Tillman for “conduct unacceptable for a Michigan student-athlete.” Now we know what that unacceptable conduct was. Allegedly.
Wednesday morning, mlive.com is reporting, Tuley-Tillman was charged with three felonies stemming from a Sept. 4 incident in which he’s accused of filming a sex act with a woman without her knowledge. Tuley-Tillman was officially charged with two counts of capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person and one count of using a computer to commit a crime.
From the report:
Capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person is punishable by up to two years in prison, a fine of no more than $2,000, or both. Using a computer to commit a crime, in this case, would be punishable by up to 10 years in prison, a fine of no more than $5,000, or both.
The incident occurred in the 300 block of Catherine Street Sept. 4. Tuley-Tillman is accused of filming a portion of a sexual encounter with a woman without her knowledge and then transmitting it to his personal device without her permission, according to Ann Arbor police.
Tuley-Tillman was a four-star member of Brady Hoke‘s second-to-last UM recruiting class, rated as the No. 24 offensive tackle in the country and the No. 7 player at any position in the state of Illinois. He played in one game as a redshirt freshman last season, the season opener against Appalachian State.
This season, he had been listed as the No. 2 left tackle and played in the 2015 opener.