Gator DT popped on pair of pot charges

Lt. Richard Ko AP

Wait, isn’t Urban Meyer the head coach at Ohio State now?

Anyway, a “Days Without An Arrest” ticker that was halfway to double digits can be reset to double zeroes thanks to the heroic efforts of a member of the Florida football program.

According to UF’s student newspaper, the Independent Florida Gator, defensive tackle Leon Orr was arrested the night of Jan. 10 on a pair of marijuana-related charges.  Orr was charged with possession of marijuana under 20 grams and possession of drug paraphernalia.

From the University Police Department’s report, here’s what led to the arrest:

The arrest report describes a scene on the night of Jan. 10 in which UPD officer Bradley Roberts searched Orr’s dorm room in building eight of Keys Complex about a half hour before midnight. During the search, which Orr consented to, Roberts found a “baggy of a green leafy substance, a glass pipe and rolling papers” on Orr’s desk and bedside table.

The substance was tested and confirmed to be marijuana. After being read his rights, Orr admitted to ownership of the marijuana, pipe and papers, according to the report.

There was no information in the report indicating why police were alerted to Orr’s dorm room.

As a redshirt freshman in 2011, Orr played in all 13 games and was credited with one tackle for loss and one sack.

And, thanks to the lovely and talented Jason Lieser of the Palm Beach Post, we also have the following little off-field statistical nugget relating the Gators:

Orr is the eighth player arrested since Muschamp became head coach. His arrest is Florida football’s sixth involving marijuana in the past year.

The more things change…

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Florida Gators, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
28 Responses to “Gator DT popped on pair of pot charges”
  1. grudenthediva says: Jan 19, 2012 8:43 PM

Bill Cervone will take care of this in no time.

2. woebegong says: Jan 19, 2012 8:46 PM

This kid couldn’t have been the brightest bulb on the tree for sure. Leaving the crap pout in plain view and then consenting to a search. You would think, he would have at least made them get a search warrant, which would have required a judges signature, which probably would have meant the next day at least. Plenty of time, to hide evidence that will surely lead to a conviction, especially after you admit is is your personal property.
    It just appears some of these kids, just can’t behave themselves.

3. rolltide510 says: Jan 19, 2012 9:02 PM

I’m pretty sure university police don’t need search warrants to enter dorm rooms, and assuming they do, I’m pretty sure they do it anyway.

4. thefiesty1 says: Jan 19, 2012 9:03 PM

Boom! These kids are going to get their heads on straight or their going to be gone.

5. LogicalConsideration says: Jan 19, 2012 9:13 PM

sorry my fellow Tide fan, but wrong answer. Universities can establish policies an put them in a students lease that allows university administrators to search without a warrant. However, as far as sworn law officers (and university police are “real” law officers not rent-a-cops), a university cannot force a student to sign away Consitutional rights vis a vis law enforcement with arrest powers.

This kid was a fool to agree to the search. that said, as a Tide fan, I’m going to keep chuckling. at least our players know to wait until the week AFTER they turn pro to get busted for pot! lol

6. rolltide510 says: Jan 19, 2012 9:34 PM

Based on your response, I’m guessing your knowledge of police is mostly theoretical, which is of course a good thing. People misfortunate enough to have actual experience with cops know they laugh at the concept of “come back with a warrant” when teenagers and dope are involved. There’s no agree/disagree to a search, they open the door and walk in. They know the odds that kids are going to lawyer up and contest their actions are extremely slim.

7. overratedgators says: Jan 19, 2012 9:46 PM

Eighth arrest under Muschamp. And who said Florida doesn’t have enough tradition?

8. woebegong says: Jan 19, 2012 9:48 PM

Logical, Would that be because the cops look the other way when it involves a player from the tide, or do you believe the kids never smoke while under Saban’s hand, and would never knowingly do anything illegal like pot, while a member of the football team?

9. dkhhuey says: Jan 19, 2012 9:52 PM

Okay – so Urban doesn’t get credit for the winning of two national titles (Zook’s recruits and Tim Tebow), doesn’t get credit for winning seasons (same reasons), didn’t bring in any talent in the last 4 years of his coaching tenure (left the entire Gator cupboard bare), but did get credit for every single incident that every player got involved in… so, with that logic, this is Urban’s fault!

Let the thumbs down begin!!!!

10. woebegong says: Jan 19, 2012 9:55 PM

Shouldn’t that put them pretty high up on the Fulmer Cup list for the season. I remember how their fans liked to ride UGA about having 21 points in 2009, and I am thinking since the people that do this list, tack on three points per arrest, they will have gotten more than UGA, which has a big “ZERO”, NADA, 0, for the year. And all this under a first year coach who stated, they had to stay clean or they would be gone. He let a few go at the beginning of the season for getting in trouble.

11. jag8r904 says: Jan 19, 2012 10:34 PM

Pretty sure if they smell marijuana that could be considered probable cause, so no warrant needed. Anyone know?

12. zurnvs says: Jan 20, 2012 2:21 AM

Didnt see anything about them smelling the “weed”, but yes. If u smell it that alone is PC to search. And if u have to get a warrant, u don’t have to let them back in the room unsupervised. U r able to secure the scene until u have or have got the warrant.

13. blueglaze says: Jan 20, 2012 7:11 AM

Oh no! Pot in college!? What a an unimaginable event!… Psh give me a break…Ron Paul!!!

14. bigfoot3 says: Jan 20, 2012 7:34 AM

And Dre Kirkpatrick has a “medicinal need”…..please…….
    No chance that guy could pass a drug test……

15. dg0122 says: Jan 20, 2012 7:59 AM

was that picture taken at the Gators facility?

16. vincentbojackson says: Jan 20, 2012 8:05 AM

Could never quite understand why all these coaches get blamed for trouble their players get into during their free time.

The only time the coach or program should take heat is if they don’t hand down punishment or recruit guys that have a history of problems before they get to campus.

17. arizonapetdoctor says: Jan 20, 2012 10:11 AM

I would like to see a list of how many arrests for each D1 football school each year for the last five. I am not sure where each school or conference would be on that list but those that are in the top 20 should probably try to get their act together (ie, mandatory suspensions of players, decreased scholarships for said players, stricter academic and probationary standards, etc.). While pot et. al. is commonplace in college, these players need to realize that while they get the benefits of being the “stars” on campus, they are also held to a higher standard of representing the university (moreso than the average student who doesn’t enjoy the same perks that the players receive)

18. woebegong says: Jan 20, 2012 10:20 AM

Coming up with that list would be quite a task in itself. The NCAA doesn’t usually get involved too much, unless it somehow impacts the rules they have in place. For example, the SEC pretty much follows the NCAA in that policy, and there are only two schools that say why a kid is suspended or misses a game or so, because of drug violations. Most of them make the media speculate and eventually find out through some leak, one way or another. UGA and Kentucky rat themselves out, I guess you could say. Some schools will not even say, it is a team rules violation, and this open themselves up to criticism fairly or unfairly. These kids have to realize, from the day that they sign on as heralded athletes, they will be in the spotlight and if anything comes up about their behavior, they will be scorned by people, and the incident magnified 10 times over. It doesn’t matter if the normal student does ir also. They are getting a free ride, but unfortunately, a lot of them, if not for their athletic prowess, would not have a chance to get into a school.

19. pb420 says: Jan 20, 2012 1:08 PM

How dare that college student get caught with marijuana?! Shocking I say! He should have done what most responsible college drunkards do, i.e. get into a violent barfight, driven drunk, or maybe he could’ve shown some class and sexually assaulted someone by putting his genitalia in their face. Seriously though, not trying to pick on any particular school or program, just the notion that alcohol is virtually harmless compared to the evil marijuana. Think of how many tragic, irreversible situations have been induced by alcohol consumption, all because it’s ‘legal’ and therefore perfectly acceptable. There are no safe, logical decisions being made when under heavy use of alcohol. Get stoned, and stay in your room and watch a movie. Oh, the terror!! It’s beyond time that we as a country address this double-standard for the safety of future students’ sake. And what would a Gators thread be without the snarky comments of the troll overratedgators? C’mon man, get over it!! Now, it just looks pathetic, and you’ve obviously wasted valuable time hating on a college program that will go on with or without your approval.

20. dg0122 says: Jan 20, 2012 1:16 PM

@pb420: Spicoli wrecked Jefferson’s car while he was high, so there’s that…

21. dkhhuey says: Jan 20, 2012 1:43 PM

Puff puff pass!!!!

22. stairwayto7 says: Jan 20, 2012 4:16 PM

Stay classy SEC!

23. Deb says: Jan 20, 2012 6:23 PM

The plants are really quite pretty, aren’t they?

Yes, stairwayto07, because God knows no one in the Big 10 ever smokes pot. Now what university did Santonio attend? Wait … it will come to me …

24. hav2laf says: Jan 20, 2012 8:55 PM

Right up-front, I am a Gator, so I’m not going to pretend to be unbiased. Having said that, to holier-than-thou, high and mighty Tide fans who chose THIS incident to dig your teeth into, I’d have thought y’all would be the last ones to be throwing stones today. Let’s see . . . smoking pot or raping an unconscious guy while being cheered on by a bunch of your buddies?? Proud to say our criminal was the pot smoker.

25. Deb says: Jan 20, 2012 9:27 PM

@hav2laf …

Raping? Do you understand the definition of rape or are you just an absolute idiot? :roll:

26. Deb says: Jan 20, 2012 9:32 PM

And btw, hav2laf, there is not ONE Bama fan on this thread saying ANYTHING negative about your pot smoker, except that he shouldn’t have let them search his room, which–since you’re too stupid to grasp it–was an empathetic comment. No one is being holier-than-thou except you. Do you even know the fan allegiance of the people posting here? No. You just wanted to take a shot a Bama fans and invented a reason to do it because you’re an ass. You’re an embarrassment to Gator fans and the SEC.

27. pb420 says: Jan 20, 2012 10:39 PM

As a Gator, I take no offense whatsoever to what Bama fans have said on this thread. They’ve been nothing but sympathetic to the charge, which happens across the country, regardless of conference. It shows that we really need to examine our laws and get them up to date. Sexual assault, sure, but rape??? That is a little far-fetched my friend. Thanks for the SEC backup Deb, as anyone will look for reasons to knock our conference out of pure jealousy. I would rather have a pot arrest than a locker room child molestation/rape imbroglio any day of the week….

28. sherrielg says: Jan 23, 2012 1:23 PM

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2012/1/12/2702164/fulmer-cup-2011-this-does-not-count