Lt. Richard Ko

Gator DT popped on pair of pot charges

Wait, isn’t Urban Meyer the head coach at Ohio State now?

Anyway, a “Days Without An Arrest” ticker that was halfway to double digits can be reset to double zeroes thanks to the heroic efforts of a member of the Florida football program.

According to UF’s student newspaper, the Independent Florida Gator, defensive tackle Leon Orr was arrested the night of Jan. 10 on a pair of marijuana-related charges.  Orr was charged with possession of marijuana under 20 grams and possession of drug paraphernalia.

From the University Police Department’s report, here’s what led to the arrest:

The arrest report describes a scene on the night of Jan. 10 in which UPD officer Bradley Roberts searched Orr’s dorm room in building eight of Keys Complex about a half hour before midnight. During the search, which Orr consented to, Roberts found a “baggy of a green leafy substance, a glass pipe and rolling papers” on Orr’s desk and bedside table.

The substance was tested and confirmed to be marijuana. After being read his rights, Orr admitted to ownership of the marijuana, pipe and papers, according to the report.

There was no information in the report indicating why police were alerted to Orr’s dorm room.

As a redshirt freshman in 2011, Orr played in all 13 games and was credited with one tackle for loss and one sack.

And, thanks to the lovely and talented Jason Lieser of the Palm Beach Post, we also have the following little off-field statistical nugget relating the Gators:

Orr is the eighth player arrested since Muschamp became head coach. His arrest is Florida football’s sixth involving marijuana in the past year.

The more things change…

Appalachian State, East Carolina announce 4-game series

GREENVILLE, NC - SEPTEMBER 05:  Devon Moore #20 of the Appalachian State Mountaineers is tackled by teammates Chris Mattocks #19 and Derek Blacknall #26 of the East Carolina Pirates at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium on September 5, 2009 in Greenville, North Carolina.  (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)