Texas Tech v Texas

Tuberville’s wife under investigation as man dies from crash injuries

Unfortunately, there’s a very sad story that’s come out of Lubbock recently involving the wife of Texas Tech head coach Tommy Tuberville.

Nearly four months ago, Suzanne Tuberville allegedly ran a red light and crashed into a car in which 87-year-old Ira Purdy was a passenger.  According to the Purdy’s family attorney, the man “just never recovered” from “a significant head injury, a broken leg, broken ribs”, resulting in his death last Friday.

“He was in good condition before the accident,” the attorney, Bradley Pettit, told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. “(The Purdys) went out to eat that day, they took trips, they had an active lifestyle. But he went downhill since the accident. He couldn’t get over the injuries. It’s hard at that age when you have that kind of head trauma … you don’t heal as you do as a younger person.”

The Daily Toreador, Tech’s student newspaper, wrote that “the investigation is still open due to the extent of the injuries one of the passengers sustained, and the recent death of Purdy.”  The student paper, based on conversations with a local criminal lawyer presumably not connected with the case, notes that Suzanne Tuberville could ultimately face charges such as criminally negligent homicide or vehicular manslaughter, depending on the results of the Lubbock Police Department’s investigation.

The Lubbock District Attorney’s office is awaiting the results of that probe before determining whether charges will be pursued.

It remains unclear if Suzanne Tuberville was cited for the accident.  Pettit claims a citation was issued, while LPD Sgt. Jonathan Stewart told the Avalanche-Journal one hasn’t.  A source close to the Purdys told the student paper that a citation was issued six weeks after the wreck.

The Tubervilles have not contacted the Purdy family — “not unusual” in this situation, Pettit stressed — but did offer his condolences through a school spokesperson.

In Baker Mayfield, Texas set to face yet another QB who wanted to be a Longhorn

Baker Mayfield

Jameis WinstonJohnny ManzielAndrew LuckRobert Griffin IIIJ.T. Barrett. Oh, don’t mind me. Just recounting the number of quarterbacks with ties to the Texas football program that never received a sniff from Bevo’s famous snout.

Add another to the list, perhaps the most inexplicable of all: Baker Mayfield.

Mayfield played at Lake Travis High School in Austin, a powerhouse program in a state that specializes in them. Lightly recruited out of high school (he reportedly held only an offer from Florida Atlantic), Mayfield and his family reached out to the nearby program to see if they’d take him as a walk-on.

They said no.

“They told us he had five scholarship quarterbacks, so there wasn’t any need of ‘Bake’ coming out there,” James Mayfield, Baker’s father, told George Schroeder of USA Today. “I popped off that they had five scholarship quarterbacks that couldn’t even play for Lake Travis. That’s where our relationship stalled out.”

On one hand, it utterly boggles the mind why Texas would decline a successful high school quarterback willing to pay his own way on to the team, especially considering the state of the position at the time. On the other, one would see why Mack Brown‘s staff would pass on a kid with only an offer from FAU who says UT’s quarterbacks couldn’t start for his high school team.

Instead, Texas signed Tyrone Swoopes and Mayfield enrolled at Texas Tech. He won the starting job as a true freshman, transferred to Oklahoma, walked on and then won the starting job there.

And now he’s set to face the hometown team he at one time wished he could play for.

Mayfield has completed 88-of-135 throws for 1,382 yards with 13 touchdowns and three interceptions – good for a 178.52 passer rating, which ranks fifth nationally – while adding 138 yards and four scores on the ground. His counterpart, redshirt freshman Jerrod Heard, has connected on 42-of-76 passes for 661 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions (131.74 passer rating) to go with a team-leading 67 carries for 318 yards and three touchdowns.

“As perverse as all this has been, he’s where he wanted to be,” James Mayfield said. “He’s living his dream. If he had to do it all over again, he’d do it, with the same outcome.”

Appalachian State announces five-year extension for head coach Scott Satterfield

Scott Satterfield

One day after it was revealed its head coach was the second-lowest paid in college football, Appalachian State announced a five-year contract extension for head coach Scott Satterfield.

“We have the right coach leading our football program in Scott Satterfield,” Appalachian State AD Doug Gillin said in a statement. “In nearly three years as head coach, he has stayed true to his convictions, built the program the right way and set Appalachian State football up for sustainable success both in the Sun Belt Conference and at the national level.”

Satterfield had earned $375,000 annually, ahead of only Louisiana-Monroe’s Todd Berry at $360,000 a year.

Satterfield, 42, is 14-14 in his third season at the Boone, N.C., school. He led the Mountaineers to a 7-5 mark in their debut Sun Belt season, and has the club at 3-1 to start the 2015 campaign.

“It’s exciting for my family and me to know that we’re going to be at Appalachian for the foreseeable future,” Satterfield added. “I’m living a dream by being the head coach at my alma mater and can’t wait to continue to work hard to help this program reach heights that it has never reached before.”