Tuberville’s wife under investigation as man dies from crash injuries

Texas Tech v Texas Getty Images

Unfortunately, there’s a very sad story that’s come out of Lubbock recently involving the wife of Texas Tech head coach Tommy Tuberville.

Nearly four months ago, Suzanne Tuberville allegedly ran a red light and crashed into a car in which 87-year-old Ira Purdy was a passenger.  According to the Purdy’s family attorney, the man “just never recovered” from “a significant head injury, a broken leg, broken ribs”, resulting in his death last Friday.

“He was in good condition before the accident,” the attorney, Bradley Pettit, told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. “(The Purdys) went out to eat that day, they took trips, they had an active lifestyle. But he went downhill since the accident. He couldn’t get over the injuries. It’s hard at that age when you have that kind of head trauma … you don’t heal as you do as a younger person.”

The Daily Toreador, Tech’s student newspaper, wrote that “the investigation is still open due to the extent of the injuries one of the passengers sustained, and the recent death of Purdy.”  The student paper, based on conversations with a local criminal lawyer presumably not connected with the case, notes that Suzanne Tuberville could ultimately face charges such as criminally negligent homicide or vehicular manslaughter, depending on the results of the Lubbock Police Department’s investigation.

The Lubbock District Attorney’s office is awaiting the results of that probe before determining whether charges will be pursued.

It remains unclear if Suzanne Tuberville was cited for the accident.  Pettit claims a citation was issued, while LPD Sgt. Jonathan Stewart told the Avalanche-Journal one hasn’t.  A source close to the Purdys told the student paper that a citation was issued six weeks after the wreck.

The Tubervilles have not contacted the Purdy family — “not unusual” in this situation, Pettit stressed — but did offer his condolences through a school spokesperson.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Big 12 Conference, Rumor Mill, Texas Tech Red Raiders, Top Posts
18 Responses to “Tuberville’s wife under investigation as man dies from crash injuries”
  1. 1buckeye76 says: Feb 23, 2012 11:51 AM

bleh, no good

2. fitz66 says: Feb 23, 2012 11:51 AM

He’s criticizing how much WVU paid to get out of the Big East. I wonder if WVU is going to criticize how much he’s going to have to pay to get out of this lawsuit….

3. helenh777 says: Feb 23, 2012 12:23 PM

Being a mountaineer I pray that noone from WVA comments negatively on this situation. I am very sorry to hear that a man has passed away. My condolences to his family and to Mrs. Tuberville. I hope I am never the reason for another human beings passing. They need our prayers, not our condemnation or stupid jokes.

4. fitz66 says: Feb 23, 2012 12:28 PM

It wasn’t a negative comment, it was just highlighting how sometimes people need to mind their own business. Of course WVU won’t comment on his bad situation.

5. mogogo1 says: Feb 23, 2012 12:47 PM

Terrible situation but hard to see why this article is even posted as it’s totally unrelated to college football. The wife of a football coach had a car accident. Even on sports blog, carnage sells, I guess.

6. drummerhoff says: Feb 23, 2012 3:37 PM

Lawyers tell the tallest tales.

7. supremeomega says: Feb 23, 2012 4:59 PM

Sad story. But this isnt CFB news. Why write this to put a coaches wife on blast? If TT was driving that’s different. This is just a ploy so tools can find some smart ass comment to say about Tuberville or Tex Tech like Fitz66.

I don’t blame him as he apparently has zero class. I blame the writer for setting this up on purpose. Tex Tech isn’t a major program so there is no reason to write this other than to provoke a local rival or WVU fan to say something classless. Fortunately few took the bait

Very sleazy and uncalled for on a generally awesome site IMO

8. fitz66 says: Feb 23, 2012 6:04 PM

Thanks for the lesson in humanity. Sorry I didn’t have more nice things to say about someone who ran a red light and killed someone.

9. freemantowilliams says: Feb 23, 2012 6:15 PM

This is a very sad story but at the end of the day this shows how if you have money you can get out of anything. I know all the facts aren’t out yet and no one has gone to court. But if this regular middle class person like me, I’d already be trading “loosies” and honey buns for a haircut.

10. saints97 says: Feb 23, 2012 11:56 PM

Wreck ‘em, Tech!

11. supremeomega says: Feb 24, 2012 6:52 AM

@Fitz

How does this have anything to do with Tommy Tubberville and his comments about WVU? If this were a blog about college coaching wives and their mistakes that would be appropriate.

WVU fan is generally the most classless smack talking and non championship winning fans out there. And I am very familiar with Morgantown and WVU football have been there for games on several occasions. It’s a good program but have complete knobs for fans.

Then you get upset when people call you toothless hillbillies

12. helenh777 says: Feb 24, 2012 9:01 AM

I would like to know what school Fitz66 represents. If he is a Mountaineer, I am very sorry for that. However, One think is for sure, us toothless hillbillies know that your English is very poor Supremeomega. WVA fan is should be WVA fans are. What school taught you how to write?

13. supremeomega says: Feb 24, 2012 9:34 AM

Actually, I am very intelligent and attended a top 20 university on a complete academic scholarship. I have been able to reach levels of success reflective of my background and education and am quite satisfied with my personal accomplishments. I truly have been blessed and highly favored my all seeing brother or sister.

I appreciate your ostentatious display of what I can only hypothesize is ubiquitous and iridescent brilliance. I appreciate that you felt the need to correct my poor use of the kings English! Perhaps you are not familiar with the texting system for the IPhone. It actually finishes words with high frequency. If an multitasker is quickly preparing a message via a 2 inch keyboard it is quite plausible that grammatical and spelling errors could abound.

Please forgive my failure to meet your lofty standards and thank you for your enlightenment on proper chat room decorum and vernacular. I am quite impressed! I know that in my future endeavors your words will echo throughout the depths of my soul. I was on the cusp of greatness before but now when I reach the summit of my profession I will be able to remember that your response to my initial post was a turning point in my existence!

Nothing will ever be the same…

And yes people think WVU fans are toothless hillbillies

14. helenh777 says: Feb 24, 2012 11:01 AM

DEAR SUPREME-OMEGA:

It behooves me on this auspicious occasion to inform you that you are a pompous jackass!!! You did not say which university you became so supreme in, however, I believe I have figured it out. It must have been the B.S. University, where all the other jackasses and cartoon characters go.

You do not even have the honor to say what you mean. You just say what you believe others think. Why not admit you are the “people” . No one else is that stupid.

15. owhviuo says: Feb 24, 2012 11:03 AM

Wow “supre”.. i hope you didn’t hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. And how many thesauruses did you burn up in that second paragraph?

Fritz’ comment was no worse than NBC’s sensationalism of Coach Tubberville’s wife’s accident.

As for your comment about WV fans. Well, only uneducated, stereotyping, idiots, consider WVU fans to be “toothless hillbillies”. WVU fans are some of the most passionate fans in the country. WV has no professional sports teams so, pretty much the whole state (minus the few MU fans) get behind the Mountaineers wholeheartedly. Have there been stupid incidents in Morgantown? ABSOLUTELY… have there been at Alabama? LSU? Florida? Georgia? YES THERE HAVE… am i saying its right because it’s happened at those places too? NOPE! But no matter what you do you’re always gonna have a few “bad apples” in the bushel. I wish we could stop them all but i regret that’s not going to happen.

Ask the LSU fans who attended the game in Morgantown this year how much fun they had. And with the move to the Big XII the fun has just begun here in WV. I’m sorry you couldn’t look past your long list of accomplishments to notice that Fritz’ comment was nothing more than the piece NBC has put out to get folks to click on their blog. Yeah, i was one who wondered what a coaches wife could possibly have to do with someones death.

16. supremeomega says: Feb 24, 2012 12:27 PM

No Thesaurus needed. Just my vocab. She questioned my intellect so…

I am an OSU fan from Columbus and have been to several games at WVU. Very familiar with Morgantown, and no I don’t think that WVU fans are toothless hillbillies I actually think its a great venue for both football and basketball. I will say that every time I have been to a game at WVU that it was an embarrassment how the students act. I have seen games at a lot of great schools and 5-6 at WVU. The students have a rep for a reason!

WVU fan is very sensitive and their bravado and behavior on campus feeds in to the stereotypes that they are moronic yokels which likely isn’t true.

Finally, this started because I stated the article
    was classless. Some shmuck thinks its on par with TT making a comment about WVU and an exit fee. I thought it was lowbrow. Then a WVU fan responded by assuming I am uneducated because my iPhone finishes words and I had several errors in my post.

17. abrellbama says: Feb 24, 2012 2:00 PM

When you are 87 years old, a fall can actually kill you so I can understand that if he had head trauma, he may not have recovered. I hope they find that it was just an accident and no one’s fault. To receive a head trauma though, was he wearing his seat belt? My condolences go out to the Pettit family and their friends. My prayers go out to them also. If this were just an average person though, you wouldn’t be hearing about it like this. And you probably wouldn’t be thinking an accident 4 mos ago caused the death.

18. metroplexfrog says: Feb 25, 2012 4:00 AM

This is a very spirited thread. Back to TT, I have sympathy for Coach T and his family. I can’t wait to see the Raiders in FW.