Fabbians Ebbele

Assault charge against one Arizona player dropped

Well, would you look at that.  A little good news for Arizona coming out of the party brawl mess.  Very little, but still.

According to multiple media outlets, a criminal assault charge against UA offensive lineman Eric Bender-Ramsay has been dropped by prosecutors.  A trespassing charge, however, remains.

Bender-Ramsey was one of four current Wildcat players — cornerback Jourdon Grandon, offensive tackle Fabbians Ebbele and safety Jared Tevis being the others — who were arrested very early last Friday morning after a brawl broke out at a party being thrown by UA students.  Grandon and Ebbele were charged with criminal assault for allegedly punching female partygoers as well as one count each of criminal trespassing.  Tevis was hit with a trespassing charge.

First-year head coach Rich Rodriguez, speaking before practice and after the story had broken yesterday, said that he will be “up-front and honest, of course” with the media regarding the situation, then essentially said he couldn’t really comment on the situation.

“[The arrests are] a matter that we’re looking into very seriously, and we’re going to make sure we go through the whole process. If anything comes up, further developments, we’ll let you know,’ Rodriguez said. “When it’s all done, when the process is done, I’ll make further comments at that time.”

As far as punishment for any of the players involved — or if they will even remain on the team — there was no substantial news on that front, although Grandon and Ebbele were held out of practice yesterday.

“We are cooperating fully with the Tucson Police Department, and disciplinary action will be handled accordingly,” athletic director Greg Byrne said in a statement. “Due to federal student-privacy laws, we will have no further comment.”

Grandon and Ebbele are scheduled to appear in court March 15.  Court dates for the other two have not yet been set.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx