Texas A&M got what it wanted when it moved from the Big 12 to the SEC: stability and out from underneath Texas’ shadow.
Of course, more money helps too.
But when reached by Jon Solomon of the Birmingham News, A&M athletic director Bill Byrne said the move was bittersweet.
“I regret that it is coming to an end,” Byrne said. “On the other hand, looking at what’s going on nationally, I think it was a brilliant move to go to the Southeastern Conference, which screams stability. No one is trying to get out of the Southeastern Conference. That’s not true of the current conference we’re in.”
Truth, or just sour grapes? You can be the judge by reading Jon’s entire story with Byrne HERE, but it’s tough not to believe that just about any school would sacrifice tradition in favor of a higher annual payout these days. Not that A&M wanted to completely scrap tradition; Byrne added that he tried to get the best of both worlds and keep the Lone Star Showdown alive despite the Aggies moving on to the SEC.
“I’m very foolish,” Byrne explained. “I assumed — and it was a rash assumption on my part — that our friends over in the state capital would want to continue playing us. It turns out they didn’t think we were as much of a rival as we thought of them.”
How that’s a surprise, I’m not entirely sure. Texas made it clear from the get-go that if A&M departed the Big 12, there would be no more annual rivalry between the two schools for the immediate future. And after losing a heartbreaker in College Station to the Longhorns last November, it’s no wonder that the Aggies want another crack at “t.u.”
But, in the end there doesn’t appear to be a lot of love lost between the two. As much as I — and I’m sure I speak for plenty of others — would love to see the two sides play every year, the reality is the business of the sport speaks the loudest regardless of what each side says.
A very disturbing story has emerged out of Dallas, where former Texas A&M wide receiver Thomas Johnson sits in a Dallas County jail cell after allegedly admitting to hacking an unsuspecting jogger to death with a machete.
Just before 8 a.m. Monday, authorities say Johnson went to White Rock Creek Trail, a popular jogging trail in northeast Dallas, and randomly slashed a jogger to death. “It appears Mr. Johnson picked this victim at random. Absolutely random,” Deputy Chief Rob Sherwin told the Dallas Morning News. “He just attacked him. … It’s just very unusual. It’s quite shocking.”
Johnson then walked away from the scene in search of a cell phone. An onlooker had already dialed 911, and when police arrived Johnson allegedly told them there was a man “laying down with a sword in his head and not moving.”
“I just committed capital murder,” Johnson said and then repeated, according to his arrest affidavit. The only motive police reported was that Johnson was angry at his situation in life at the time of the slaying.
The victim, an unidentified male between the age of 25 and 35, passed away at a nearby hospital.
Johnson, meanwhile, remains in a Dallas County jail in lieu of $500,000 bail.
Johnson was a highly-regarded member of Kevin Sumlin‘s first recruiting class at Texas A&M. As a true freshman in 2012, the Dallas native caught 30 passes for 339 yards and one touchdown through the Aggies’ upset of then-No. 1 Alabama and then simply… disappeared. He went missing for three days in November 2012 before turning up back home in Dallas. His mother told the San Antonio Express-News last April Johnson would like to return to college football, but a return to the game never materialized.
Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema will not be disciplined by the SEC office for his brief interaction with Alabama offensive lineman Cam Robinson last weekend. A video showing Bielema exaggerating his interaction with Robinson at the end of a play was reviewed by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, and the commissioner has discussed the situation with the Razorbacks coach.
“I visited with Bret over the phone on Monday and we discussed the play that has now become widely reviewed through a brief video clip,” Sankey said in a released statement. “Football is played in an intense competitive environment and I reminded him of the need for head coaches to resolve with their own players issues that may arise, which was his intent. The unsportsmanlike penalty assessed on the play was not directly associated with Bret’s efforts to intervene at the end of the play and we are moving forward in a positive manner.”
That appears to be the end of the discussion regarding Bielema’s act. I personally think there should have been some more done here by the league’s commissioner, but we will see if Bielema avoids putting himself in a similar position moving forward.