Jordan Canzeri, Tony Jefferson

Huge blow: Iowa RB tears ACL, likely out for 2012

The attrition to Iowa’s backfield over the past couple of seasons has been nothing short of black magic or evil sorcery. Unfortunately for the Hawkeyes, their running back woes don’t seem to be letting up any time soon.

Multiple reports have stated that RB Jordan Canzeri sustained a knee injury during practice on Wednesday. The extent of the injury wasn’t immediately known, but Canzeri’s father confirmed the injury to HawkeyeInsider and that the sophomore-to-be was having a MRI done.

That MRI later revealed that Canzeri had torn his ACL. He is expected to miss the 2012 season.

“Dr. (Ned) Amendola said it was the ACL but the good news is that the rest of the knee is solid,” Canzeri father said. “He’s going to have surgery next week and hopes to get back into practice in September.

“There’s not need to rush back. He just turned 19 in February. He’ll get a chance to work on other parts of his game, like bulking up. He was up to 186 when he was weighed last week.”

In seven games in 2011, Canzeri had 114 yards on 31 carries, as well as 28 yards and a touchdown on six receptions. He was slated as the starter for Iowa heading into the spring. With Canzeri out, redshirt sophomore DeAndre Johnson, fullback Brad Rogers and former receiver Damon Bullock could see more playing time.

Oregon president takes thinly-veiled shot at Brady Hoke

CORVALLIS, OR - NOVEMBER 26: Defensive coordinator Brady Hoke of the Oregon Ducks dresses his players during the third quarter of the game against the Oregon State Beavers at Reser Stadium on November 26, 2016 in Corvallis, Oregon. The Beavers won 34-24. (Photo by Steve Dykes/Getty Images)

Brady Hoke had a miserable one-and-done at Oregon, and this piling on just adds to it.

Brought in to turnaround the Ducks’ defense, Hoke instead was in charge of one of the worst units in the country.  Their play, in very large part, helped bring an abrupt end to Mark Helfrich‘s three-year tenure in Eugene.

Helfrich was officially replaced by USF’s Willie Taggart earlier this week.  The boss of Taggart’s boss, UO president Michael Schill, had one piece of advice and one piece of advice alone for his new head football coach.

Can we take that as confirmation that Hoke won’t be retained by the new regime?  At least statistically, though, the president has a point, no matter how clumsily or ill-advised it may have been.

Out of the 128 teams listed on the NCAA’s official stats website, the Ducks were 126th in scoring and yards allowed; 121st in third-down percentage and rushing yards allowed; 117th in turnovers forced; and 114th in passing yards. Last season, the Ducks were 114th in scoring and 116th in yards.

And Taggart’s defense this season? The Bulls were 86th in scoring defense and 120th in yards allowed.  So, there’s that.

Malik Zaire pens thank-you note to Notre Dame students, staff

SOUTH BEND, IN - SEPTEMBER 10: Malik Zaire #9 of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish throws a pass in the second half against the Nevada Wolf Pack at Notre Dame Stadium on September 10, 2016 in South Bend, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)