Taking a break from the Bobby Petrino scandal, we revisit our attention to another item that, at least for a day or so, looked like at one time it was going to be the news story of the spring.
Although more than a dozen people were arrested in a campus-wide drug sweep at TCU in February, only one football player, defensive back Devin Johnson, had been formally charged with three cases of delivery between one-quarter ounce and five pounds of marijuana. That’s now changed.
The Tarrant County district attorney’s office said Thursday that an additional 14 people have been prosecuted in connection to the drug sting, three of which were TCU players. They are defensive tackle D.J. Yendrey, linebacker Tanner Brock and offensive tackle Ty Horn.
Brock is charged with three counts of delivering more than a quarter-ounce of marijuana and one count of possessing two ounces or less of marijuana; Horn was charged with delivering more than a quarter-ounce of marijuana and one count of delivering less than a quarter-ounce; Yendry was charged with three counts of delivering more than a quarter-ounce of marijuana in a drug-free zone. He also received one count of delivery of more than a quarter-ounce not in a drug-free zone and two counts of delivering less than a quarter-ounce.
All three were arrested in connection to the sweep. On Feb. 1, head coach Gary Patterson ordered a drug test for his players, five of which reportedly failed. It’s unknown if the four TCU players charged were included in that group and TCU refused to disclose the results of the test.
In a police affidavit, Brock said about 60 players would be “screwed” after the drug test; other accounts said up to 82 players failed. Brock added that he was sure he had failed the drug test as well.
What could’ve been significantly bad news now has a brighter side to it.
Last week, wide receiver Eli Stove underwent surgery for a torn ACL that he suffered during Auburn’s first practice of the spring. While it was thought the injury and subsequent rehab could very well knock the receiver out for the entire season, Gus Malzahn stated that he expects Stove to play at some point in 2018 — perhaps even early in the season.
“We’ll see how everything goes,” the head coach said by way of al.com. “He’s in good shape and the surgery went well.”
Six months out from the surgery, a general timeline for ACL rehab, would be mid-September, so it’s not far from the realm of possibility that Stove could see the field the first month of the season.
As a sophomore in 2017, Stove caught 29 passes for 265 yards, the former total which tied him for second on the team He also ran the ball 30 times for 315 yards and two touchdowns, which made him the Tigers’ third-leading rusher yardage-wise.
The weird saga that was E.J. Price‘s day Thursday took a couple of additional twists and turns before the clock struck midnight.
On his personal Twitter account yesterday morning, Price announced that he would be “stepping away” from the Kentucky football program. Price also sent out several tweets that seemed to be extremely critical of the UK coaching staff.
Not long after Price’s tweets went viral, he deleted, among others, the one that indicated he was leaving the program; subsequent to that, he set his Twitter account to private. He then sent an apology tweet out to those he now allows to follow him that he “should have handled myself in a much better manner and for that I apologize. I love my team.”
“I would like to apologize to my teammates and coaching staff for taking to Twitter and bringing unwanted attention to our locker room,” another portion of Price’s apology tweet read.
Despite the social-media reversal, a UK spokesperson confirmed that the offensive lineman was no longer a part of the football team. However, head coach Mark Stoops stated after the tweet storm that “E.J. and I have met and we’re going to help him.”
Whether that leaves the door open for an eventual return to Lexington remain to be seen.
Price was a four-star member of USC’s 2016 recruiting class, rated as the No. 8 offensive tackle in the country. He transferred from USC to Kentucky in July of last year.
Because of NCAA transfer rules, Price was forced to sit out the 2017 season.
Despite this being a new year, John Humphrey simply can’t shake the injury bug.
In 2017, Humphrey missed four games after injuring his knee in Arizona State’s season opener. On Thursday, the rising redshirt junior suffered another injury, albeit significantly more serious than the first as first-year head coach Herm Edwards confirmed that the wide receiver will miss the entire 2018 season because of a ruptured Achilles tendon.
Humphrey was a three-star member of Oklahoma’s 2015 recruiting class, rated as the No. 61 wide receiver in the country and the No. 67 player at any position in the state of Texas. In April of 2016, he announced his decision to transfer from OU; a month later, he announced his decision to transfer to ASU.
After sitting out the 2016 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules, Humphrey put up huge numbers in his Sun Devils debut, catching seven passes for 123 yards and a touchdown in ASU’s season-opening win over New Mexico State. In large part because of that first injury, however, he finished the season with just 13 catches, 177 yards and the one touchdown.
Prior to the second injury, he had been penciled in as a starter for ASU this season.
Nearly four months after ostensibly being fired as athletic director, John Currie has an official severance agreement with his former employer.
Tennessee announced Thursday evening that “it has completed an amicable resolution parting ways with former… Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics John Currie.” Currie had been earning $75,000 a month during a paid suspension; the university stated in its release that Currie will be paid a sum total of $2,220,454 (and 60 cents, for accounting purposes) no later than April 1 of this year.
Additionally, the release noted that Currie “will be paid his salary through March 22, 2018.”
In the midst of a football coaching search fiasco that included a Mike Leach hire that wasn’t, Currie was ousted as the AD at UT on Dec. 1 of last year and replaced by former Vols head football coach Phillip Fulmer. Between then and today’s announcement, Currie had been technically employed but suspended with pay by the university.
Earlier this month, it was announced that Currie had been hired as an executive-in-residence at Robert Morris University.