Holtz calls Arkansas rumors ‘flattering’, says ‘I am not looking to leave’ USF

14 Comments

One rumored candidate for the suddenly-vacated head-coaching job at Arkansas has already tried to publicly quiet the speculation connecting him to the situation in Fayetteville.

Now another is attempting to do the same.

Perhaps because his father is a former Razorbacks head coach, Skip Holtz‘s name was one of the first mentioned in the immediate aftermath of Bobby Petrino‘s firing last night.  The USF head coach became aware of the speculation via his wife — “Why would anybody want to hire you? You were 5-7” — and did the expected with Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times Wednesday: attempted to tamp out the speculation without completely ruling anything out.

“I have not talked to anybody from Arkansas. We’ve been through this drill. It’s flattering your name is floating around, but right now we have a job to do here. We’re in the middle of spring ball and I don’t want any distractions with his team as we’re building this thing.”

“I am not looking to leave here. I am not calling anybody. I am not trying to put my name out there. I want to be the head football coach here,” he said. “I enjoy it here. I like it here. I addressed this in the offseason when some other opportunities were open. I said then I think we have a lot of things we want to get done here. We’ve got a great senior class coming back, and the attitude and morale of this football team is my No. 1 priority.”

Of course, anyone could parse Holtz’s words and point to phrases such as “right now” or “I am not looking to leave here” as proof that, while Holtz may not be actively pursuing the job, he’d be more than willing to listen if such an opportunity presented itself.

By the same token, it’s far from a given that Arkansas would even look to a second Holtz to guide the football program.  Petrino had obviously turned the Razorbacks into an upper-echelon program prior to his dismissal, seemingly making it, at minimum, a top-20 job capable of attracting high-quality candidates.

Given the timing of the opening, however, UA will likely have to wait until the next hiring cycle later this year for those type of candidates, relying instead on someone currently on the UA coaching staff for the time being.  That, though, won’t quell the speculation involving Holtz or any other potential successor until a “permanent” interim head coach is named.

Iowa suspends starting CB Manny Rugamba for opener vs. Wyoming

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Iowa will be facing one of the top quarterbacks in the country in Josh Allen in its 2017 opener, but they’ll do so at less than 100-percent strength personnel-wise in the secondary.

Iowa announced in a press release that Manny Rugamba will not play in the Sept. 2 game against Wyoming at Kinnick Stadium. No specific reason for the cornerback’s disciplinary measure was given.

“Manny will not play in our opening game due to serving the suspension, which is related to an off-season team violation,” a brief statement attributed to head coach Kirk Ferentz read.

Rugamba played in 12 games this past season as a true freshman, missing the Outback Bowl due to injury. He started three of those contests, and his two interceptions were third on the team.

Entering summer camp, and all the way up to his suspension, the sophomore had been penciled in as one of the Hawkeyes’ two new starting corners.

Ohio State QB Joe Burrow undergoes surgery on broken hand, out indefinitely

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Well, that settles that.

While J.T. Barrett is the unquestioned starter at quarterback for Ohio State, Joe Burrow (pictured, right) and Dwayne Haskins (pictured, left) have been engaged in a competition for the backup job that began in the spring and continued on into summer camp.  At least for now, the competition is closed as OSU announced Wednesday morning that Burrows underwent surgery Tuesday to repair a broken bone in his right (throwing) hand.  The sophomore suffered the injury during a Monday practice.

While officially out indefinitely, it’s expected Burrows will miss at least a month of the season.

As Barrett’s primary backup last season, Burrows completed 22 of his 28 pass attempts for 226 yards and a pair of touchdowns.  A redshirt freshman, Haskins, a four-star 2016 recruit, has yet to attempt a pass at the collegiate level.

With Burrows out for the foreseeable future, true freshman Tate Martell has been elevated in the signal-calling pecking order as well.  A four-star 2017 recruit, Martell was rated as the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the country for this past year’s class.

After flirting with Oklahoma, USC, others, ex-LSU OL Maea Teuhema transfers to FCS

Getty Images
Leave a comment

After being indefinitely suspended by LSU for unspecified violations team rules and granted a release, Maea Teuhema had been linked to, among others, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, UCLA and USC.  In the end, the offensive lineman decided a lower rung on the college football ladder was, at least for now, the better option.

Southeastern Louisiana has officially confirmed that Teuhema has transferred into the football program.  As the Lions play at the FCS level, the offensive lineman will be eligible to play immediately in 2017.

“We’re excited to have a player of Maea’s caliber join our program,” SLU head coach Rob Roberts said in a statement. “He brings a lot of experience and it will be good to add another talented veteran to what is already a group we have a lot of confidence in.”

Teuhema’s brother, linebacker Sione Teuhema, transferred from LSU to SLU last year and is a starter for the Lions.

Teuhema, a four-star 2015 recruit, started 21 games the past two seasons, 11 at left guard as a true freshman and 10 at right tackle last season.  He earned Freshman All-American honors following the 2015 season.

This year, Teuhema had been slated to start at right guard for the Tigers.

Dismissed Georgia Tech RB Dedrick Mills headed to 2016 JUCO champ

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Less than a week after his unexpected and abrupt departure from Georgia Tech, Dedrick Mills has found himself a new college football home.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Mills has enrolled Garden City Community College in Kansas.  As his next stop, which won the 2016 junior college national championship, plays below the FBS level, the running back will be eligible to play immediately in 2017.

Very late last week, Tech announced that Mills had been dismissed from the program for an unspecified violation of athletic department rules.

Last season, Mills’ 771 yards and 12 rushing touchdowns led all Tech ball carriers., with 169 of those yards coming in the bowl win over Kentucky.  Mills put up all of those numbers as a true freshman despite being suspended on two different occasions for a total of three games.

More than likely, Mills will spend one season at the JUCO level before moving back to the FBS.  Whatever team grabs him at that time would be getting a talented player who would still have two years of eligibility remaining.