Suspended Chips WR arrested, charged in larceny incident

Deon Butler AP

Deon Butler was one of five Central Michigan football players indefinitely suspended a week ago, with three of them summarily dismissed a couple of days after that.

The Chips would only allow that there were legal issues that led to the punitive measures.  Now, at least for one of the players, we are aware of what said legal issue is.

According to the school’s student newspaper, the wide receiver was arrested Monday on a misdemeanor charge of receiving and concealing stolen property of $200 or more but less than $1,000.  A warrant for Butler’s arrest had been issued regarding an issue that occurred March 19 and, after turning himself in, he was arraigned in an Isabella County (Mich.) court.

No details have been made available as to what led to the charge, although it’s connected to the same incident(s) that led to the arrests of football players Joe Sawicki, Austin White and Danel Harris.

Harris was charged with felony larceny from a motor vehicle; White and Sawicki were charged with delivery/manufacture of a controlled substance, maintaining a drug house and possession of a controlled substance, the hallucinogenic drug psilocybin, police said.

Those three players were dismissed, while the fifth, defensive back Kevin King, has been indefinitely suspended along with Butler.

In a statement released earlier this week, CMU acknowledged that it is aware of Butler’s arrest and that the receiver will remain suspended for the foreseeable future.

Central Michigan University’s Department of Athletics is aware of the arrest of football student-athlete Deon Butler.

The Department of Athletics, while continuing to cooperate fully with local authorities, is in the process of gathering all factual information regarding the situation. Butler remains suspended indefinitely from the football program.

As a redshirt freshman last season, Butler played in 12 games and totaled six receptions for 49 yards.

Permalink 3 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Central Michigan Chippewas, Mid-American Conference, Rumor Mill, Top Posts
3 Responses to “Suspended Chips WR arrested, charged in larceny incident”
  1. drjem says: Apr 25, 2012 1:02 PM

Astonishing!!! I’m glad that “some” Universities are FINALLY practicing “Tough Love” with these thugs.

2. pabulldawg says: Apr 25, 2012 1:55 PM

CMU does not deserve any credit for tough love. Austin White was involved in a number of prior incidents and had been suspended several times. Coach Enos was finally forced to kick this kid off the team following the drug related arrest. White had been tossed from Michigan and has been nothing but problems from the moment he set foot on campus but Enos kept giving him additional opportunities to stay with the team. A less talented kid would have been tossed long ago. The other kids involved will have very little impact on the team’s success on the field so any tough love here is being dished out to role players.

3. drjem says: Apr 25, 2012 6:13 PM

TO: pabulldawg

Thanks for that info. I didn’t know that about Austin White. Oh well, “tough love” pulled away then. Any way, pabulldawg, thanks for enlightening me on that deal.