Deon Butler

Suspended Chips WR arrested, charged in larceny incident

Deon Butler was one of five Central Michigan football players indefinitely suspended a week ago, with three of them summarily dismissed a couple of days after that.

The Chips would only allow that there were legal issues that led to the punitive measures.  Now, at least for one of the players, we are aware of what said legal issue is.

According to the school’s student newspaper, the wide receiver was arrested Monday on a misdemeanor charge of receiving and concealing stolen property of $200 or more but less than $1,000.  A warrant for Butler’s arrest had been issued regarding an issue that occurred March 19 and, after turning himself in, he was arraigned in an Isabella County (Mich.) court.

No details have been made available as to what led to the charge, although it’s connected to the same incident(s) that led to the arrests of football players Joe Sawicki, Austin White and Danel Harris.

Harris was charged with felony larceny from a motor vehicle; White and Sawicki were charged with delivery/manufacture of a controlled substance, maintaining a drug house and possession of a controlled substance, the hallucinogenic drug psilocybin, police said.

Those three players were dismissed, while the fifth, defensive back Kevin King, has been indefinitely suspended along with Butler.

In a statement released earlier this week, CMU acknowledged that it is aware of Butler’s arrest and that the receiver will remain suspended for the foreseeable future.

Central Michigan University’s Department of Athletics is aware of the arrest of football student-athlete Deon Butler.

The Department of Athletics, while continuing to cooperate fully with local authorities, is in the process of gathering all factual information regarding the situation. Butler remains suspended indefinitely from the football program.

As a redshirt freshman last season, Butler played in 12 games and totaled six receptions for 49 yards.

Pair of Boilermakers arrested on weed, alcohol charges

SAFED, ISRAEL - MARCH 07: (ISRAEL OUT) A worker touches plants at a cannabis greenhouse at the growing facility of the Tikun Olam company on March 7, 2011 near the northern city of Safed, Israel. In conjunction with Israel's Health Ministry, Tikon Olam are currently distributing cannabis for medicinal purposes to over 1800 people in Israel. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)