Suspended Chips WR arrested, charged in larceny incident

Deon Butler was one of five Central Michigan football players indefinitely suspended a week ago, with three of them summarily dismissed a couple of days after that.

The Chips would only allow that there were legal issues that led to the punitive measures.  Now, at least for one of the players, we are aware of what said legal issue is.

According to the school’s student newspaper, the wide receiver was arrested Monday on a misdemeanor charge of receiving and concealing stolen property of $200 or more but less than $1,000.  A warrant for Butler’s arrest had been issued regarding an issue that occurred March 19 and, after turning himself in, he was arraigned in an Isabella County (Mich.) court.

No details have been made available as to what led to the charge, although it’s connected to the same incident(s) that led to the arrests of football players Joe Sawicki, Austin White and Danel Harris.

Harris was charged with felony larceny from a motor vehicle; White and Sawicki were charged with delivery/manufacture of a controlled substance, maintaining a drug house and possession of a controlled substance, the hallucinogenic drug psilocybin, police said.

Those three players were dismissed, while the fifth, defensive back Kevin King, has been indefinitely suspended along with Butler.

In a statement released earlier this week, CMU acknowledged that it is aware of Butler’s arrest and that the receiver will remain suspended for the foreseeable future.

Central Michigan University’s Department of Athletics is aware of the arrest of football student-athlete Deon Butler.

The Department of Athletics, while continuing to cooperate fully with local authorities, is in the process of gathering all factual information regarding the situation. Butler remains suspended indefinitely from the football program.

As a redshirt freshman last season, Butler played in 12 games and totaled six receptions for 49 yards.

Kyle Whittingham confirms Darren Carrington is at Utah, not yet a Ute

Former Oregon wide receiver Darren Carrington‘s father confirmed his son of the same name was headed to Utah on Wednesday, and the head coach of the team in question has now double confirmed it.

But just because Carrington is at the University of Utah does not make him a Ute. Not yet.

Speaking at Pac-12 media days, Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham said Carrington is in school but has hurdles to clear to join the team.

“Not just yet. There’s a process that has to occur, some things that have to transpire and we’ve just got to wait for all that to kind of take place,” Whittingham said, via Deseret News.

It’s not sure what “things” have to transpire and when that is expected to happen; Whittingham couldn’t be sure Carrington would be with the team when camp opens Friday.

“Right now I don’t have a good answer because everything’s being sorted through right now,” Whittingham said.

Carrington will be immediately eligible to play as a graduate transfer. He caught 43 passes for a team-leading 606 yards and six touchdowns last season. Utah’s leading returning receiver, junior Raelon Singleton, nabbed 27 passes for 464 yards and four scores a year ago.

Clay Helton: O.J. not welcome back at USC

OJ Simpson is one of the greatest Trojans of all-time. A unanimous two-time All-American, Simpson won the 1968 Heisman Trophy and was a member of USC’s 1967 national championship team.

OJ Simpson will also soon be a free man.

Granted parole from his felony armed robbery conviction last week, Simpson will be free on Oct. 1. The question, then, if you’re a reporter at Pac-12 media days is whether or not USC will welcome back one of its most accomplished — if not favorite — sons.

The answer? Uh, no.

To be clear, Simpson has not indicated he wanted to be part of USC football again. The 70-year-old indicated to the parole board he would return to Florida if granted his freedom.

USC has distanced itself from Simpson ever since his 1994 double-murder trial, but his Heisman Trophy remains on display at Heritage Hall.

4-star QB explains why he picked Princeton over Power 5 offers